The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default When Should I Change My Strings?

For my acoustic? I bought this used, and I'm guessing it is atleast 10 years old. I can't tell if I need to replace them, but I was in a guitar shop today, and all the new guitars are strung tighter. Not loose like mine. You think it is time to get them changed?
Old 09-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Ledgie

I usually change mine before the first gig of the year, but if I'm not gigging around a lot (like in the winter when I can hardly get out of my driveway) I change them when they start looking dull and not ringing quite as loud as they used to. I use Martin Phosphor wounds on my acoustic and they last about 4-6 months depending on how much I practice and how often I go out and play in public.

A trick you can try is to take the strings and boil them in water with a little bit of soap in it for about 30-45 minutes and then again in clean water to get the soap out of the strings...it strecthes the life a little longer. It's a neat trick since I can't always afford to go and pay $7 for a set of strings whenever they get old. Private college fees kill a fella...
Old 09-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I was playing 3-4 nights a week (6 hrs a night), I'd change strings every two weeks...now, only playing 5 or 6 nights a MONTH, I change them about once every-other month. (on my electrics)

On my acoustc, I don't change strings until I absolutely HAVE to. (ie, when a string breaks...I'll change the whole set instead of just the one string)

I've not had the success that others have had in boiling old strings...once they're off the guitar, a new set is put on. The two or three times I've tried the "boiling trick", the strings don't last much longer (they'll break...and usually right during a set at a gig, as luck would have it).
Old 09-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Ledgie

true about the boiling...but like I said, I put a new set on for gigging...I only boil them during times that all I do is practice because it's cheaper for me to do so and I don't play as hard/loud during personal practice as I do on a gig.

What kind of strings are you using on your electric?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have steel strings right now, and I like nylon cause it is easier on my fingers. What do you suggest about switching to nylon. Is it a good idea? Or no? Also, what is that thing called that tunes your strings, that whole metal piece that turns the strings? How much does it cost to replace that?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Ledgie

Nylon strings are a pure personal choice to my mind. I don't care either way, but in since I play a lot of Boston, America, and Who tunes as well I usually keep steel strings on. Simpler than having two acoustics to lug around (Cheaper too) and it sounds almost the same. The only difference I've noticed is that steel strings have a brighter ring on songs and the harmonics (on songs like Go Insane '97) then the darker sound of the thicker nylon strings.

As for the tuning pegs in the headstock, it depends on what kind you have. Are the poles that extend vertically from the headstock or are they set inside the headstock with a groove for the three on each side to reside in? You can pick up either at a local music store for around the same price, but the installation is different for each.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: When Should I Change My Strings?

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
.....I'm guessing it is atleast 10 years old.....
The strings aren't 10 years old aswell are they...!??! If they are, change them RIGHT NOW!! haha!!

I change the strings on my acoustic about once every 3 or 4 months, but I use it almost solely for playing classical/spanish pieces so they don't take anywhere near as much beating as the strings on my Strat, whose strings I change about once a month.

My local guitar shop does "regular" tuning pegs for about £7....I guess that's about $10.

Old 10-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

when to change nylonstrings: when you hear it.

well, at least, that's what I do. The sound is duller, softer when they need to be changed.
Comes down to once every three/four months, depending on how much I've played it...
if those strings are ten years old, you'll DEFINITELY hear the difference
Old 10-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Hi Mari!!!

Hi Girl!!!
So nice to read your guitarstring advice!
Miss reading your posts about Lindsey!
Last time we tried to change strings we
got cut! Yikees! Such amateurs we are!
Let me know how you are!!! Bye,Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey