Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Okay, I forked over for the reissue (digital format) solely because I wanted to hear the early versions of the songs.

Surprisingly, I was NOT disappointed! These are not merely recordings minus overdubs but actual early takes, with scratch vocals and occasionally very different instrumental ideas. As usual, I think the final album reflects wise decisions but I have to say I am truly digging the early takes of “Over My Head” and “Sugar Daddy” in particular. On “Over My Head” we get this bright, bouncy piano riff—and for the first time I can see how Christine originally conceived it on her little honer piano. The piano part is similar to that which is used on “Heroes are Hard to Find.” I also love the variations in her voice here. It sounds like a live-in-studio take.

“Sugar Daddy”— wow! If anyone ever doubted Christine’s effectiveness as a keyboard player, they need to listen to her piano and organ work on this. Add to that her bluesy vocal in which, toward the very end of the song, her range hits lower notes than I’ve ever heard from her. The voice on this take is very much a similar, if more developed voice as the one she had on CHRISTINE PERFECT.

I like the electric piano jazz chords and frequent guitar fills on World Turning.

“Crystal” sounds so timeless in it’s barest state. Lovely.

I’ve heard all of the live stuff before except the version of Over My Head. So glad to get that material in digitally remastered form.
These aren't really early takes of the song but early versions. The overdubs are different, but the core of the song made it to the final versions. I still ove them though.