The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Krautrock" = "End of the Game"?

I've recently discovered "Krautrock". It's very heavy German progressive rock. Think of early 70's Yes, and Black Sabbath sending a stork baby to the front door. I wonder during that infamous night in Munich he was jamming with local German "Krautrock" musicians!?! What Mick, John, and Jeremy fail to understand is that Peter Green was seeking out new ideas, and new forms of rock music. It's no wonder after that night in Munich Peter Green becomes a wah pedal fiend guitarist. Of the existing Fleetwood Mac tapes from post Munich 1970, Peter Green was the greatest guitar player on the planet. This proves that acid didn't ruin Peter Green while he was in FM. The true trigger happened after he left the band.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I've recently discovered "Krautrock". It's very heavy German progressive rock. Think of early 70's Yes, and Black Sabbath sending a stork baby to the front door. I wonder during that infamous night in Munich he was jamming with local German "Krautrock" musicians!?! What Mick, John, and Jeremy fail to understand is that Peter Green was seeking out new ideas, and new forms of rock music. It's no wonder after that night in Munich Peter Green becomes a wah pedal fiend guitarist.
The Krautrock band Amon Duul had connections to the Munich commune, perhaps some members participated in the jam.

Quote:
Of the existing Fleetwood Mac tapes from post Munich 1970, Peter Green was the greatest guitar player on the planet. This proves that acid didn't ruin Peter Green while he was in FM. The true trigger happened after he left the band.
Agreed, those tapes contain amazing guitar playing. Maybe Munich was more an emotional catalyst than a chemical one, as Green left the band shortly afterwards - and that's why the rest of the band talk about it - they were chocked he was leaving.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The jam in the Chateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Agreed, those tapes contain amazing guitar playing. Maybe Munich was more an emotional catalyst than a chemical one, as Green left the band shortly afterwards - and that's why the rest of the band talk about it - they were chocked he was leaving.
Dear Dino,
Did you actually hear any tapes from that Jam in the communne? It is my understanding that tthe tapes are in the possession of Peters former wife somewhere in california where the sun has never shined on them

I am hoping that you have more information. Please tell us?

sincerely,

doodyhead
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Dino,
Did you actually hear any tapes from that Jam in the communne? It is my understanding that tthe tapes are in the possession of Peters former wife somewhere in california where the sun has never shined on them

I am hoping that you have more information. Please tell us?

sincerely,

doodyhead
Sorry to mislead you, I was simply refering to the post Munich Mac tapes.
Don't think any Greeny fan has heard the Munich jams, if they do exist, not even Don Brown.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've recently discovered "Krautrock". It's very heavy German progressive rock. Think of early 70's Yes, and Black Sabbath sending a stork baby to the front door. I wonder during that infamous night in Munich he was jamming with local German "Krautrock" musicians!?! What Mick, John, and Jeremy fail to understand is that Peter Green was seeking out new ideas, and new forms of rock music. It's no wonder after that night in Munich Peter Green becomes a wah pedal fiend guitarist. Of the existing Fleetwood Mac tapes from post Munich 1970, Peter Green was the greatest guitar player on the planet. This proves that acid didn't ruin Peter Green while he was in FM. The true trigger happened after he left the band.
while i do like the looser jammier 1970 fm and the subsequent solo material including end of the game and the post fm singles, i don't think this was when pete was at his very best. instead it seems like the beginning of the end of his creative period. maybe even a reflection of his illness. he abandonned the less is more approach, and the structure that made him such an expressive player and writer. wandered off pursuing creative expression that wasn't as expressive as what he had already done

ok i'll add the 'mario' disclaimer, in my humble opinion! zero
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
while i do like the looser jammier 1970 fm and the subsequent solo material including end of the game and the post fm singles, i don't think this was when pete was at his very best. instead it seems like the beginning of the end of his creative period. maybe even a reflection of his illness. he abandoned the less is more approach, and the structure that made him such an expressive player and writer. wandered off pursuing creative expression that wasn't as expressive as what he had already done

ok i'll add the 'mario' disclaimer, in my humble opinion! zero
Your opinion is respected with me zero. So I'm stating my side of opinion.

Peter Green wrote "The Green Manalishi" sometime during the late '69/'70 tour of the U.S., if not earlier. If this song doesn't signify a change in his musical direction, nothing else does.

What about those brilliant "Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living ("The Letter")" performances from San Francisco, New Orleans, and later Stockholm? To my ears, while many think New Orleans is his best performance, I think it's Stockholm 4/1/70. Peter Green took that song (from Paul Butterfield's arrangement), made it his own, and made it one of the most painfully expressive blues songs ever heard. There is a 1969 performance of this song from a London college that has FM playing the song closer to the Butterfield arrangement.

The long jams that became the norm from late '69 into early '70, were not a sign of illness, but trying to connect to the hippie ballroom circuit in the United States. Fleetwood Mac was under the influence of the Grateful Dead, and the Allman Brothers Band. In New Orleans 1/31/70, FM blew away the Grateful Dead. It's stated in the recent GDead bio from Dennis McNally. It's also fortunate that FM didn't follow the Dead back to their hotel that night because that became the song "Truckin". Fleetwood Mac would've been deported.

The Boston Tea Party tapes from 2/70 are proof of a healthy Fleetwood Mac. While Stockholm, and Roundhouse Chalk Farm are different shows, they still hold a lead guitarist who is in command.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree...Greeny was capable of both the "less is more" approach and the more experimental wah-wah playing in 1970. Both styles were present when he left the band. I'm a huge Hendrix fan (well, Hendrix was a huge Green fan), but IMHO Green was perhaps the best rock guitar player in the world at that stage.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree...Greeny was capable of both the "less is more" approach and the more experimental wah-wah playing in 1970. Both styles were present when he left the band. I'm a huge Hendrix fan (well, Hendrix was a huge Green fan), but IMHO Green was perhaps the best rock guitar player in the world at that stage.

How do you know Jimi was a huge fan of Peter Green? Have you read a quote somewhere? I'm not doubting your claim, I'd like to know what he said. I know he was a fan of Chicago guitarist Terry Kath. He was another guitarist who was under the radar until he died in 1978. I know of the NYC 12/68 jam at a local club (with Danny). I know both guitarists played together on (at least) a couple of occasions. I have never read a Jimi Hendrix quote concerning Peter Green. Since I'm not an obsessed Hendrix fan (casual), I hope dino can fill me in on the details.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 AM
slipkid
This message has been deleted by slipkid. Reason: double post
Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't think Jimi ever commented on Green in an interview...but I'll check. Mick Fleetwood is the source, if he is to be believed. Hendrix did quote "Oh Well" in concert, at least.

Hendrix was seldom asked about his peers or such, mostly journos asked insipid questions like "where is fashion going"? (A: "People will continue to wear pieces of clothing").
Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't think Jimi ever commented on Green in an interview...but I'll check. Mick Fleetwood is the source, if he is to be believed. Hendrix did quote "Oh Well" in concert, at least.

Hendrix was seldom asked about his peers or such, mostly journos asked insipid questions like "where is fashion going"? (A: "People will continue to wear pieces of clothing").
Nothing has changed in over forty years, with the exception of a few serious music magazines (Rolling Stone is no longer on that list).

Back in July I heard a brand new interview with Mike Fleetwood from Sirius radio (U.S. satellite) taped last year in correlation to the 2009 FM U.S. tour. Mick said that without naming names, that the old blues guys went to Peter before Eric Clapton. "He was "the guy""., exact quote. The way Mick Fleetwood can/could play a blues shuffle beat, who can question him? There's a song on Eddie Boyd's "Blue Horizon's" CD that will make your jaw drop (Mick's performance). Otis Spann wanted Peter, Danny, and John for his solo album, yet not Mick. However with no insult, it was S.P. Leary. He was the greatest Chicago blues drummer of all time.

I know at the time Mick felt frustrated playing simple time beats, but it's obvious now that he's over 60, he misses that period of his life. A blues shuffle beat is an art form, and Mick, with the possibility of Aynsley Dunbar were the best from Britain.

If Hendrix quoted "Oh Well", then it's an obvious fact. As Hendrix respected/quoted/played Cream songs, Dylan songs, and the Beatles. Do you happen to know the concert? Is it buried somewhere on "Band of Gypsies?"

Last edited by slipkid; 04-15-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If Hendrix quoted "Oh Well", then it's an obvious fact. As Hendrix respected/quoted/played Cream songs, Dylan songs, and the Beatles. Do you happen to know the concert? Is it buried somewhere on "Band of Gypsies?"
One example is Spanish Castle Magic from Berlin, September 4 1970. At 2:50.
This show has not been released officially, but you can easily download it on the net...
Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One example is Spanish Castle Magic from Berlin, September 4 1970. At 2:50.
This show has not been released officially, but you can easily download it on the net...
I found it, and I heard the "riff".

First of all, this is Hendrix's last official live show, I've never heard those tapes before (more later). It's also the festival that led to the "Munich incident" to get Peter Green (through Mick Taylor) to get the Rolling Stones to play.

As for Hendrix on guitar, incredible. As for his singing voice, it's alarming two weeks to the day before his death he couldn't sing like he used to. He missed many verses of songs. I think Pete Townshend's opinion of Jimi Hendrix's condition at the Isle of Wight festival August, 1970 is valid. He claims he prayed that he was healthy while Hendrix looked extremely frail. You can't deny those thin wrists by 8/70. Hendrix died because of drugs, with the combination of not taking care of himself with proper nutrition. You don't lose your strength to sing with your voice at the age of 26/27, unless there is an outside influence.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nothing has changed in over forty years, with the exception of a few serious music magazines (Rolling Stone is no longer on that list).

Back in July I heard a brand new interview with Mike Fleetwood from Sirius radio (U.S. satellite) taped last year in correlation to the 2009 FM U.S. tour. Mick said that without naming names, that the old blues guys went to Peter before Eric Clapton. "He was "the guy""., exact quote. The way Mick Fleetwood can/could play a blues shuffle beat, who can question him? There's a song on Eddie Boyd's "Blue Horizon's" CD that will make your jaw drop (Mick's performance). Otis Spann wanted Peter, Danny, and John for his solo album, yet not Mick. However with no insult, it was S.P. Leary. He was the greatest Chicago blues drummer of all time.

I know at the time Mick felt frustrated playing simple time beats, but it's obvious now that he's over 60, he misses that period of his life. A blues shuffle beat is an art form, and Mick, with the possibility of Aynsley Dunbar were the best from Britain.

As I'm sure you've heard (or seen on the DVD), Mick can still blues drum with the best of them! The guy is just phenomenal!! I make no apologies for being a huge fan of Mick's. He's my drumming idol, hands down, no exceptions. Having recently gotten my copy of the "Blue Again" DVD, I was blown away again by Mick's blues drumming. Having been away from it professionally for so many years, it's great to see him back to his roots again. I love it and hope he continues with the MFBB for years to come. Whether or not the Buckingham/Nicks era of FM is finally over or not. Long Live the MFBB!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found it, and I heard the "riff".

First of all, this is Hendrix's last official live show, I've never heard those tapes before (more later). It's also the festival that led to the "Munich incident" to get Peter Green (through Mick Taylor) to get the Rolling Stones to play.

As for Hendrix on guitar, incredible. As for his singing voice, it's alarming two weeks to the day before his death he couldn't sing like he used to. He missed many verses of songs. I think Pete Townshend's opinion of Jimi Hendrix's condition at the Isle of Wight festival August, 1970 is valid. He claims he prayed that he was healthy while Hendrix looked extremely frail. You can't deny those thin wrists by 8/70. Hendrix died because of drugs, with the combination of not taking care of himself with proper nutrition. You don't lose your strength to sing with your voice at the age of 26/27, unless there is an outside influence.
A theory is Hendrix wore out his voice the previous day in Copenhagen, where he played a very long set despite being tired or ill. He played a gig on the 6th September at the Isle of Fehmarn (the very last) and there his voice was back in form.
Also, Hendrix had a habit of leaving out lines when he was uninspired or in a bad mood.

There's not doubt that he was very run-down physically during the last European tour, though.