The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Bekka song from Time?
Dreaming the Dream 2 14.29%
Nothing Without You 5 35.71%
Winds of Change 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
You really don't think that album hurt the band
in the long run?

I bet Lindsey would agree with me.

I also think that if Mick was/is in better financial
shape that he wouldn't have used the Fleetwood
Mac name for those other bands.

This is Fleetwood Mac:

Peter
Mick
John
Christine
Lindsey
Stevie

The others are imposters.
No, in the long run, Time obviously didn't hurt the band.

The rest of your post and your other post (the small parts that made any sense at all) are obviously designed to antagonise people, so they're not worth responding to. Anyone who actually believed that stuff would clearly know almost nothing about the band, or that without the "imposters", the band would never have happened at all, and Stevie would still be waiting tables somewhere.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is my attempt to summarize

RE: iamnotafraid

I still don't understand how one separates Danny and Jeremy from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac--just because they stayed on after Peter left? I'm confused.

What your approach to Mac history proposes is that there are only two iconic Fleetwood Macs--and they are very much distinct, with very different m.o.'s and functions and identities. Each era also kicked off with an eponymous album, it should be noted. In this case, you actually agree with chili that Lindsey/Stevie ruined FM--in the sense that they totally changed it. However, you seem to be stretching that ruination back to Peter leaving the band with a resurrection when Lindsey/Stevie joined the band. Your argument is further bolstered by the idea that Rick, Billy, et. al. were brought in, not to function like Peter Green's conception of the band, but as replacements to carry on the AOR sound of the Rumours era. t'was folly.

However, I don't think this argument holds up. Future Games found its own following among the surfer subculture. Bare Trees had radio popularity in the Detroit market. Those are NOT second-rate records nor was it a second-rate band w/ the Danny-Christine-Bob lineup.

Mick's approach to Bob Welch is not just a hit on Lindsey; it really, I think, retains fidelity to Mick's view of the band--which is that it is an evolving thing that his main job is to keep alive (his success at that may be argued, but not really the motivation)--and that a) it might have died without Welch and b) there would have been no supernova success if it had died or it had not planted roots in the US and c) Bob moved the band's sound closer to the Rumours sound. This kinda corresponds with that motivational speaker who uses Fleetwood Mac as an example of how success doesn't come all at once, it takes time to foster the elements and success, making changes and try new things.

RE: chiliD

chili, I think, believes in this simple rule: if it's Mick & John, it's Fleetwood Mac (the law happens to agree with Chili, btw).

However, he takes his own controversial stand on the Mac history: that Lindsey/Stevie weren't just another evolutionary link in the chain--but the Rumours phenom and the Lindsey/Stevie mythology RUINED Fleetwood Mac. First of all, it dictated how they were perceived and the nature of expectations. Second of all, it made them cogs in a money-making machine which meant the freedom to change and experiment and release-as-they-recorded was no longer permissable (from the standpoint of the record execs, the managers, the artists themselves).

Consequently, even post-Lindsey Mac, for Chili, seems to hold with it the promise of a return to the band's original conception while affected by compromises to post-Rumours expectations and demands. But that reflects the band's history. Thus: it IS all Fleetwood Mac.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 11-18-2010 at 10:02 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Winner Update

With 7 votes, "Winds of Change" wins Favorite Bekka song.
Closed Thread