The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, to be more chronologically correct, "Got No Home" & "As Long As You Follow" should go on the EP, with "Walk Another Mile" & "When The Sun Goes Down" going on the full BTM album. And, I'd also suggest that "No Questions Asked" go on the EP, with "Whole Lotta Trouble" going the full album, as well. "Ricky" can stay as a single B-side, as far as I'm concerned.

And, "I Still Miss Someone" could stay unreleased, as well.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Actually, to be more chronologically correct, "Got No Home" & "As Long As You Follow" should go on the EP, with "Walk Another Mile" & "When The Sun Goes Down" going on the full BTM album. And, I'd also suggest that "No Questions Asked" go on the EP, with "Whole Lotta Trouble" going the full album, as well. "Ricky" can stay as a single B-side, as far as I'm concerned.

And, "I Still Miss Someone" could stay unreleased, as well.

OSOTM is a great album, you guys are a bunch of haters
Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD

Then, they should have released "Behind The Mask" (produced by Patrick Leonard) in 1989.

Skies The Limit
Victim Of Love
Rooms On Fire
Got No Home
Save Me
Affairs Of The Heart
In The Back Of My Mind
Behind The Mask
Stand On The Rocks
Do You Know
Intuition
Paper Doll
As Long As You Follow
The Game Of Love
Produced by Patrick Leonard is the key. I wouldn't even have cared all that much what songs had been on the album. If it had sounded anything like the 2 Leonard produced songs on the Chain box set, it would have been great.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
OSOTM is a great album...
For the "hearing impared".
Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
For the "hearing impared".
No kidding. OSOTM is an absolute piece of sh*t. My onetime HUGE Stevie fandom ground down to zero upon hearing this dreck.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
No kidding. OSOTM is an absolute piece of sh*t. My onetime HUGE Stevie fandom ground down to zero upon hearing this dreck.
Ditto. (except for "Rooms On Fire" and the unachieved potential of "Whole Lotta Trouble")
Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Produced by Patrick Leonard is the key. I wouldn't even have cared all that much what songs had been on the album. If it had sounded anything like the 2 Leonard produced songs on the Chain box set, it would have been great.
Even Christine loved the sound Pat achieved on those songs.
I'm sure there would have been plenty of folks who grumbled that FM was working with Madonna's producer (Dear God, not that!), but there was a lot of potential there for a fantastic album.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I just for the life of me can't understand why Can you fill me in on what is so bad about the album that it would ruin your fandom...
Old 05-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I just for the life of me can't understand why Can you fill me in on what is so bad about the album that it would ruin your fandom...
I'd venture to guess that, outside of the change in Stevie's voice, his biggest problem is the MOR production... but then I remember he loves Christine.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'd venture to guess that, outside of the change in Stevie's voice, his biggest problem is the MOR production... but then I remember he loves Christine.
All this talk of how bad OSOTM is has got me miffed. Sure, I can understand why somebody would think that it is not as good as any previous albums, but has everybody forgotten about Street Angel That album is so much more worse than OSOTM - so much worse...

Last edited by foxyluva; 05-04-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
All this talk of how bad OSOTM is has got me miffed. Sure, I can understand why somebody would think that it is not as good as any previous albums, but has everybody forgotten about Street Angel That album is so much more worse than OSOTM - so much worse...
It's all subjective. Some people see beauty in 'TOSOTM' or 'Street Angel,' while other people think those albums are dreck.
Some people think 'In The Meantime' is bland and lacks character, while others think it's a brilliant album.

The difference of viewpoints keeps things interesting... it's what makes the world go 'round. Unfortunately it's the lack of respect for each others' tastes that brings things down to a junior-high level.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Au contraire. Listening to Street Angel is like swimming in a Las Vegas hotel's swimming pool...OSOTM is like falling into a vat of the mystery fluid on MXC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Unfortunately it's the lack of respect for each others' tastes that brings things down to a junior-high level.
NEE-ner, NEE-ner, NEE-ner.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-04-2006 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Part of the problem, though, is that we're talking about a specific timeline here. (At least I am.) This, in many ways, marks the downfall of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Up to that point, it was still cool to like Stevie Nicks. But, then came the "Red Rocks" and "Tango" videos, which were, to be honest, horrid, if for no other reason that the close-ups of Stevie that were filmed after the show. When somebody's hair style changes several times during a song in a CONCERT video, it turns people off. And, let's be honest, Stevie's "looks" (while not important to me, ARE important to the public) were beginning to decline. Stevie looked very different in 1989 than she did in 1983. Add to all of this the "Greatest Hits" package, which basically ended any hope of future success for Fleetwood Mac, was released.

So, before "Behind The Mask" was even released, the band had the challenges of Lindsey being gone, two new guys, a fat Stevie Nicks who had a voice that had lost most of its range, and a compilation that basically told the world the band's best days were behind it. And then they release a new album that didn't even have the all of the good songs on it. That's the legacy of Fleetwood Mac 1988-1991. Looking back, it would have been better for everybody involved if Stevie hadn't released "Red Rocks" or OSOTM and the Mac hadn't released the "Tango" video or "Greatest Hits" album and focused all of their energy on making the best album they could, and based on all that's out there, it could have been significantly better.

Now, I don't completely hate OSOTM. It hasn't aged especially well, which can be said of several projects from the post-Tango, pre-Dance era. Even the masterpiece, Lindsey's "Out Of The Cradle" sounds dated with the drum machines. And, the Zoo's "Shakin' The Cage" sounded a bit dated when it was released (too hair metal). So, I'm not going to completely knock Stevie on this point.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To me, it basically went downhill as soon as the Tusk tour was over and there was no new material from Fleetwood Mac (other than three songs on a live double album) for two years..then another five until the one after that...THAT to me was the killer.

Stevie & Lindsey should've just left the band the day after the final show of the Tusk tour (Hollywood Bowl)...let the band find their way with new people THEN.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Looking back, it would have been better for everybody involved if Stevie hadn't released "Red Rocks" or OSOTM and the Mac hadn't released the "Tango" video or "Greatest Hits" album and focused all of their energy on making the best album they could, and based on all that's out there, it could have been significantly better.
In my opinion, it really had very little to do with what they released, and almost everything to do with the fact that hip-hop/rap was starting to take over the charts, with grunge following shortly after. A lot of artists who had been extremely popular just a few years prior, found their album sales dwindling as the '90s approached. The teenagers who, in 1983, thought Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks were cool, were now well out of high school, and the new teenagers who made up the majority of the album-buying market, were looking for their own sound -- not something their big brother or... gasp... their parents listened to.

Fleetwood Mac was a dinosaur band, and I really doubt there's anything they could have done about it. Even if they hadn't released the 'Tango' video and 'Greatest Hits,' and even if Stevie hadn't released 'Red Rocks' and 'TOSOTM,' whatever album they did release would have still been viewed by the younger generation as just another album by "that band my Mom & Dad likes."

It still amazes me that the 'Tango' album and most of its singles did so well, because there was nary a soul in my school that would even admit to remotely liking Fleetwood Mac... and I graduated in 1990. I remember a few of the girls liked "Little Lies," but that was it.

So I don't think a "better" album with a different song selection would have changed any of that.