Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
And this crap about Bekka over emoting? Huh? Does "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" mean anything to anyone? Or, what about "Talk To Me" from Red Rocks? Or "Edge Of Seventeen" from that very same video? Or, "Sisters Of The Moon" from the "Mirage" concert video? I mean, let's be fair here.
Don't get me wrong, almost all singers overemote on stage at some point or another, even other members of Fleetwood Mac (Stevie on the songs you mentioned, Lindsey on "Not That Funny" and a few others -- only Christine is guilt-free there!), but whereas some overemote on a section or two of a few songs, Bekka tends to do it on every line of every song.
A little goes a lonnng way, in my book.

Now, again, don't get me wrong -- I quite like Bekka. I just tend to prefer when she sings in a more straightforward way, like she usually does on studio recordings. But that's just my personal taste.

It also must be said that I don't compare the two. Just as I never compare Stevie and Christine, or Bekka and Christine.
Each woman is an individual, with a very distinct style of her own. I prefer to view them through their own merits, not by how they stack up to someone else.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I remember still being very much in my short-lived Stevie obsession and hearing the Practical Magic version of "Crystal" and just cringing it because was so painful to hear. That was the beginning of the end of my Nicks fandom.
Really? God, I love that version. It's the only recording of that song I listen to these days (well, unless I'm playing 'Buckingham Nicks' or 'Fleetwood Mac' straight through). Her voice is so gritty and worn there... so world-weary and moving.
But, like you said, it's all subjective and a matter of taste.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Really? God, I love that version.
As much as I love Lindsey's versions, I always thought it was odd that a man was singing that song and I had really wanted to hear Stevie singing it but it ended up being a case of "be careful what you wish for." Her gritty voice just totally ruined the delicate beauty of the song for me.

To be fair, though, I think that if Lindsey were to sing it now, he'd ruin it too.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As much as I love Lindsey's versions, I always thought it was odd that a man was singing that song
Why is that? Your comment sounds sexist. I think it's better with a male vocal; it's more sensitive and more touching.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Why is that? Your comment sounds sexist. I think it's better with a male vocal; it's more sensitive and more touching.

Oh great, first I'm sexist against women, now I'm sexist against men, too!

For one thing, I found it odd that Lindsey was singing Stevie's song when she could very well have sang it herself.

Other than that, it has always struck me as being a more feminine song, for some reason. Incidentally, I tend to find it rather odd when a man sings any of Stevie's songs, such as Walter Egan's version of "Sisters of the Moon." That's not to say that I dislike these other versions, however.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So what I wanna know is, How come you Billy collectors don't have a recording of that time on the Fleetwood Mac tour when he sang Rhiannon?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh great, first I'm sexist against women, now I'm sexist against men, too!
You are such a awful person
Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And Walter Egan boy can he can sing. Oh, he is defiantely up there with the other all time great rock and roll vocalists. I know a lot of people who are really into his music He has also made some great contibutions to the music business and is also a cultural icon
Old 04-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
And Walter Egan boy can he can sing. Oh, he is defiantely up there with the other all time great rock and roll vocalists. I know a lot of people who are really into his music He has also made some great contibutions to the music business and is also a cultural icon
If you had actually read my statements before posting, you might have noticed this:

Quote:
I don't think that Tom Petty or Walter Egan have especially great singing voices, but they fit well with the music they play and with their overall sound.
I also highly doubt that you know anything of the man's career beyond "Magnet and Steel."
Old 04-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did read your posts and have heard enough of Walter's stuff thank you very much.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
I did read your posts and have heard enough of Walter's stuff thank you very much.
And boy you sure proved it with your insightful statements.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And boy you sure proved it with your insightful statements.
Thank You.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The other day, I watched my old tape of Billy & Bekka on TNN. The studio audience really loved them. Why didn't they stick it out & do more albums?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Why didn't they stick it out & do more albums?
Apparently, when their romance ended, they didn't have the "sticktoitiveness" that Lindsey & Stevie had after THEY broke up.