User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2004, 07:33 AM
joe

Default Thoughts on the new added songs

Just listened to the mp3s (courtesy of bluewhitefire, thank you very much) and just wanted to give my .02....

Sara....it's great but even if it sucked i'd still think it was great just to be back in the set again after all these years. i've been going to Stevie/Mac shows since 1986 hoping it would be in the set and it finally is. But i was impressed with what i heard so i know when i actually see and hear it live will be even better. I'm a little surprised though at the arrangement. For some reason i thought it was going to be more of an acoustic type arrangement. Lindsey's guitar sounded like the older live versions, which is cool, but i expected different. The only quirky thing about the song is that Stevie goes right into the "Drowning in the sea of love..." verses immediately after the other verses (for lack of better phrasing) which was different, but i guess this helps keep the pace up. anyway, i'm glad they nixed "gypsy" finally. it really never did anything for me live. plus, it's unfair to overlook "sara" in favor of "gypsy" when "gypsy" kind of "borrowed" some musical textures from "sara". One last thing, i'm really glad they didn't change the key.

"Destiny Rules"...i think this sounds great. There definately has been something added since the last time they did it. I think there's some added lyrics at the end too that i like. Something like "i can't believe that" or something. It definately has picked up in pace this time around.

"Don't Let Me Down Again"...So i see they've lowered the key...That's ok, it still sounded ok to me. I can't see why they dropped it. I question whether it works as an encore though. I expected to see it somewhere in the middle of the set. Maybe that's why it's lagging. I really hope they don't drop it. They better put something else rare in its place. Maybe that's where the sixth song is that Mick was talking about. Maybe they have a back up plan? They should have introduced as being a B/N song and maybe the more casual fan would have been more interested.

"I know I'm Not Wrong"...I don't know if i'm wild about this. I like that it's in the set but i don't like the lower key they're singing it in. Maybe it'll be better in person.

"Red Rover"....i really like this. I like the song. I don't know why everyone hates it here...it's got a melancholic feel to it (which i always gravitate towards)...So, i hope they keep it.

Anyway, that's it. I can't believe i'm planning on going to two shows (if not three) this summer. I wasn't going to go at all if the setlist didn't change. It's good to know that Stevie sounds like she's more energetic this time around.
That's really more important than the setlist change for me. She really seemed subdued last year. I'm not saying comatose, but just not very emotional or energetic.