The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, at least that gives us a chance to hear Sorcerer live.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was asked why they needed the extra vocalists, and her reply was, so that the band could sing the harmonies. I wonder if she realizes how much her voice has changed...can she hear it?

I am not sure if they need Sheryl for the vocal...but for the "player" part, and the producer, I think it will be interesting.

I need to look for a magazine from 2001 ? Entertaining? Appetitie? Some dining magazine, Stevie talks about Lindsey coming around the recording studio and being surprised/impressed to see Sheryl Crowe & ? Vanessa Carlton? there....she quoted herself as saying something like ... "Then maybe you should come around more often."

Last edited by Betsy; 03-14-2008 at 05:52 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
In the end, it sounded to me that LB lost his magic touch for her songs on SYW. It sounded like he put left over after though tracks on them. I liked many of the songs though, but they were just not that exciting or what he seemed to be able to do with them in the past - see Sara and Storms.
Anyone want to fess to the possibility that Stevie doesn't write as well as she used to...or that there's a reason why the songs that have been around as demos for 20 years didn't make the grade THEN, so why do you think they're going to be "Sara" & "Storms" worthy NOW?

(c'mon people, Lindsey has to have SOMETHING to work with.)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I just fail to really see how the dynamic would work. I barely "get" Stevie and Sheryl together, much less Sheryl and FMac.
That was my initial reaction. I don't like Stevie and Sheryl together, so adding Sheryl to the FM mix right now can only mean bad things. I just don't get it. Stevie and Sheryl together makes me want to rip off my ears so I don't have to listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
I'd rather Mick, John and Lindsey tour and be happy and creative than see Mick/John/Stevie and Sheryl line up and no Lindsey.
Marry me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie made Silver Girl sound as good as it could possibly sound, for whatever that's worth. I love his production of all of his other Stevie tracks (except RTTG) and Stevie would have loved it too, if they had sold albums. Since they didn't, she doesn't.
Thank you. That's what I've been saying all along.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Anyone want to fess to the possibility that Stevie doesn't write as well as she used to...or that there's a reason why the songs that have been around as demos for 20 years didn't make the grade THEN, so why do you think they're going to be "Sara" & "Storms" worthy NOW?

I agree but wonder what TISL would have sounded like IF Lindsey had worked on the songs instead of Sheryl...
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

*hangs head in disgust*

i leave the boards for THREE DAYS and come back to find this news. i agree with the beforementioned statement that it would be better to see lindsey/mick/john lineup before adding in sheryl. ill keep my fingers crossed that this doesnt happen!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

I think Stevie can still write a pretty good song... But she's certainly a different writer then she was - whether the lack of drugs or drive has anything to do with that or not... not sure. Her words are less cryptic in my opinion on the newer stuff.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
Not even Phil Spector, Lindsey Buckingham, Tom Petty, Jimmy Iovine, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, George Martin and Brendan O'Brien working TOGETHER could have salvaged either Silver Girl or Say You Will. They were crap songs.

My issue with your post was the bit 'adapt to being a member of the band or leave'. This is the guy that has given his best work to the band. During at least two albums when his colleagues had drink/drug issues - Mirage/Tango - he worked his arse off to get some product out that had some credibility. He is a team player!
I do think that a full TP and the Heartbreakers treatment of "Silver Girl" would have been quite interesting! I'm just thinking of a backing track in the vein of "Here Comes My Girl" would have made it a spectacular song. Instead we got that very icy, dry, warbly sounding arrangement. SYW is actually one of Stevie's better songs that I feel was totally undermined by LB's production. That little snippet of the demo you hear on the Destiny Rules documentary was so much better.

Of course I would expect any member of any team or unit to work as a team! And do I consider Lindsey a team player? Of course, for the most part. And when he felt like no longer playing a part in the team, he left, which was the right thing to do at the time.

Tusk wasn't brilliant because Lindsey was completely free. If anything, it would have been a disaster if the rest of FM backed off and let him do whatever he pleased. It's the balance/tension between Lindsey's creative muse and the other members that made it so good. After all the production is credited to "Fleetwood Mac with special thanks to Lindsey Buckingham."
Old 03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They just reported this on The Daily 10 on the E! Network. I guess it's picking up speed pretty quickly.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Could you image Stevie, Christine, and Sheryl on stage all at the same time? I imagine that much combined Estrogen withing 20 feet of Lindsey would sap every last drop of testosterone from him in two seconds. He's going to need some kind of constrictive pressure suit to keep it all inside if he ever wants to take part in any kind of studio recording.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's because he refused to and didn't blindly "compromise" or automatically do what would have been commercially advantageous. And I hope he's still willing to stand up for that and ready to walk away if he's going to be unhappy with the result or with the band dynamic.
Didn't he finally cave in and allow SYW to be released as a single album?

Quote:
A change might do him good or it might do him bad. I don't advocate change or compromise for its own sake and I'm sure his therapist would not either. Knowing when to stand your ground is as important as knowing when to give in. It depends on how personalities meld together and what each person is bringing to the mix. It's like cooking. Onions may be good but that doesn't mean they belong in every dish that you cook.
Yes and no. You could live in a 100-acre wood and determine that the world is flat because your property is flat, and be perfectly content and live the rest of your life in bliss. Or you could travel away and get a second opinion. In the case of FM, I do think a change is needed. Why? Because everyone left the SYW recording session miserable and resentful, so much so that Stevie vowed never to record with FM unless something changed, e.g., Christine came back. Since you are a Lindsey fan, you would be perfectly content to have FM remain in limbo while he does his solo thing. But for the rest of us, we are anxious to see something new from FM, even if it means something has changed. Change can be good and it can be bad too. But with FM I'm willing to take that chance since it's better than getting nothing at all.

Quote:
If SYW was missing something, there's absolutely no reason to think that Sheryl Crow could supply what was lacking. She may help the band and she may not. If it turns out she's not working, I want Lindsey to walk away. I'm not waiting for anyone to give him an invitation to go. I'm the first one to want him out. Sheryl and Stevie can have each other and he can have his dignity. I just hope that he still prefers that to FM's money.

Michele
Agreed! Although it is highly unlikely that, unless LB was being an exceptional prick, FM would choose SC over him. Talk about cutting off your nose despite your face!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

blech, i guess if they do tour i wont be going

just the news i want to find out after a horrible day.

WTF?!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So this is where everyone is...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I wouldn't mind fessing to that, but I thought her new SYW songs were pretty good and Thrown Down was much more than pretty good. Now, if the last thing she'd done was Sweet Girl, I'd be singing a different tune.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
*hangs head in disgust*

i leave the boards for THREE DAYS and come back to find this news. i agree with the beforementioned statement that it would be better to see lindsey/mick/john lineup before adding in sheryl. ill keep my fingers crossed that this doesnt happen!
Mick would never let that happen. he likes to tour STADIUMS, not phone booths.