The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Default American Horror Story 6

At the end of season 5 I had decided that I was jaded with Ryan Murphy and this series, and while I would probably have watched it I didn't want to get too hyped up. But, for the first time since season 2, Ryan Murphy decided to keep silent and leave some mystery in the season's theme, which I approve totally and gives me hope.

Now, about this year's season we know:
  1. This season has two themes and both concern children
  2. The logo is a question mark blended with a 6
  3. It is set mainly in two periods, in the present with flashbacks from the past
  4. Photos taken from the set show a tree with the writing "CROATOAN" on the trunk and a farmhouse from the colonial era
  5. Only one of the teasers they've released is true, the other are misdirections
  6. Sarah Paulson's character will be a "Real. Live. Human."
  7. We'll see further explanations of how the seasons are linked together
  8. It will premiere on September the 14th
  9. All the teasers released for now "quoted" a classic horror movie, with the exception of the one called "Wind Chimes".

These are all the teasers released until now:

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 09-09-2016 at 02:01 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

I can't wait
Old 09-03-2016, 02:00 PM

New poster:

Old 09-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Jessica Lang would come back. We're re-watching Asylum now. I think that's my favorite season so far. Also looking forward to a new season of Salem!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Old 09-08-2016, 12:15 PM

Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I wish Jessica Lang would come back. We're re-watching Asylum now. I think that's my favorite season so far. Also looking forward to a new season of Salem!
I totally agree! Jessica Lange is American Horror Story. Its just not the same without her. Asylum is my favorite season as well. The characters and storyline to me were just so much more developed than what we have seen in other seasons and I actually liked how it ended.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM

Can't wait, please don't post spoiler until the day after tomorrow

Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Can't wait, please don't post spoiler until the day after tomorrow

I going to see ADELE tomorrow

so i am going too avoid this thread until I've seen it

but won't post unless you;e seen it
Old 09-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 09-09-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM

Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good first episode! Nice to see Angela Bassett have some dialogue that's not through clenched teeth. I've always been fascinated by the Roanoke story so this is intriguing. I liked the documentary style too - it seems appropriate with all the Netflix specials of late. Looking forward to next week.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Now my thoughts are clearer.
The things that I like the most about this new series (for now) is that it heavily hints, both with the style and the plot, to the first season Murder House. The stripped down ambient, the tension, the dark atmosphere, the suspance rather than the gore, but also the couple that just lost a baby, the hunted house, the targeted wife... It could have been boring but I found that the mockumentary approach makes this similarities more interesting and lays the ground for eventual insights on season 1.

The Roanoke story that is recounted by Sarah Paulson/Billie Dean Howard in the 11th episode of Murder House gives us the incipit of all:
"It’s difficult to banish a spirit, but not impossible. The most successful attempt I know of happened when America was known as the new world.
In 1590, on the coast of what we now know as North Carolina, the entire colony of Roanoke—all 117 men, women, and children—died inexplicably. It became known as the ghost colony because the spirits remained. They haunted the native tribes living in the surrounding areas. Killing indiscriminately.
The elder knew he had to act. He cast a banishment curse. First he collected the personal belongings of all the dead colonists. Then they burned them. The ghosts appeared, summoned by their talismans. But before the spirits could cause them any more harm, the elder completed the curse that would banish the ghosts forever.
By uttering a single word. The same word found carved on a post at the abandoned colony. “Croatoan.”"

And also the pigheaded man we see made me think of "Piggy Man" from the the 6th episode of Murder House.
While the acting is superb like always, one of the few nitpicks that I have is the fact that the main couple isn't very interesting for now, but I particularly loved Angela Bassett, her character for now is the most well-rounded. However I appreciated that Sarah Paulson's character ran away, it's the first time in this series that a character doesn't do what is most expected to an horror movie character.
I also like Kathy Bates, this kind of evil, ominous character suits her better than those previously given to her, but I need to see more of her to know.

The closing scene was a bit strange to me, even if not necessarily in a bad way, but it reminded me of some 80s horror movie, maybe The Evil Dead or something by David Cronenberg.
As always, I miss Jessica Lange but in this series there isn't really a role for her, at least for now. If Ryan Murphy had set up the fifth season like this one, we wouldn't have lamented her departure so much.
I also miss a little the glorious theme titles but with this mockumentary style it works better without.

Now the things I ask myself: with this set-up it may look sure that the narrating protagonists are alive, but what if they are not? What if we discover, much like the first season again, that they are in fact tangible ghosts like those in the Murder House that are telling their stories?
And the redneck that wanted to buy the house and said that it was underpriced because of "hurricanes" knew more than they let it show and wanted to buy it for sinister reasons?

And about the promo for the next episode, I think I may have seen a glimpse of a dirty, frenzied Lady Gaga next to Kathy Bates during the ritual fragment:

Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was finally able to watch the new episode over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Like SisterNightroad said, the stripped down style is totally refreshing after the past couple of seasons. I totally dig the true crime documentary style, too. Just for comparison sake, I rewatched a Hotel episode afterwards and was struck by just how style-over-substance Hotel is compared to this new episode.

Having lived half of my life in North Carolina, I'm also beyond thrilled this season is exploring the story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke, too. It's so eerie and haunting how the entire colony disappeared without a trace. It's one of history's greatest mysteries, and I'm so glad to see Hollywood tackling the subject. I'm so excited about this season I'm not even letting the blatant geography errors in the show bug me!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Louie. Asylum was the best!

But seriously, it was, for me. Hotel was dreadul, and Coven was neither horror or even really that witchy. I haven't watched Freak Show yet. Season 1 was good, but I think the haunted house theme has been done better in the movies.

I am looking forward to season 6. Not sure when I'll watch it, though.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case