Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Yeah it should be in the Lindsey forum, but its not, so I will reply here....

Many of you know, I view things in a somewhat Lindsey centric way and am a huge Lindsey fan. I just don't know how excited I am about the possibility of a new album.

Lindsey to me has always been a master craftsman of songs. In his recent work I personally hear a loss of that wonderful songcraft he has such a gift for. To me it is a combination of things. Guitar playing that was too out front compared to what the song called for. (Songs on Say You Will) A degradation of his vocals that have left some songs whispered instead of sung. (Much of UTS) Use of dated vocal processing effects particulary in the choruses of songs. Engineering choices that leave songs feeling sterile and muted. Finally the songs themselves. While no doubt Lindsey has improved as a lyricist, I hear a lack of melody and a definite lack of hooks more often than not in his more recent song output.

For many of you all of what i mentioned might be the reasons you dig Lindsey right now. In no way am I demeaning that. Taste in music is a personal thing. For me though, I see a shift in Lindsey's music that makes his more recent work less desirable for me to listen to.

you put the words right into my mouth!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You've been reading my old posts, I see.

Exception: CASTAWAY DREAMS, whose style & melodic arc are lifted from old Kingston Trio.
Castaway Dreams is my favorite song from that album...hmmm.....
Old 06-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Show You How is my favorite song from that album, and one of my favorite of Lindsey's ever. Although I know the theme of the album is "very little bass" and no lead guitar, but to me, Show You How has an infectious hook and is all about the rhythm. It could float on its beat alone, but then I am also taken by the lyrics.

As for Lindsey's whisper singing, it's affected. Although he has lost range, his voice doesn't have to sound like that. I don't know what he's doing it and it doesn't bother me on UTS the way it did when I first heard Shut Us Down on Elizabethtown, which was a complete turn off.

Still, although I enjoy his vocals on UTS, I realize they do create an accessibility barrier. I had many copies of UTS and gave 2 away and one person, a guitarist, gave it back to me, saying he couldn't enjoy it because of the voice. I was trying to proselytize for my guy, but his darn croaking got in the way.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-19-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Default New album

I agree on the croaking and the dated engineering techniques. They're still kinda cool, but he's just limiting himself by insisting on doing things the way they did 25 years ago. I don't want to hear another song like "Show You How" because of the annoying click track he ingratiously left on it. It drives me nuts to listen to it because it makes me think I'm practicing, since it's the EXACT same noise on my multi-tracking software. I'd like to hear more hooky rock like on his tour. I hope he decides to release "Shuffle Riff" and "Twist of Fate". Those are my two favorite GOS tracks. I'd like him to be done with those finally. They all would have made a more cohesive album together instead of how he had to cannibalize them, but they're still great.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Show You How is my favorite song from that album, and one of my favorite of Lindsey's ever. Although I know the theme of the album is "very little bass" and no lead guitar, but to me, Show You How has an infectious hook and is all about the rhythm. It could float on its beat alone, but then I am also taken by the lyrics.

As for Lindsey's whisper singing, it's affected. Although he has lost range, his voice doesn't have to sound like that. I don't know what he's doing it and it doesn't bother me on UTS the way it did when I first heard Shut Us Down on Elizabethtown, which was a complete turn off.

Still, although I enjoy his vocals on UTS, I realize they do create an accessibility barrier. I had many copies of UTS and gave 2 away and one person, a guitarist, gave it back to me, saying he couldn't enjoy it because of the voice. I was trying to proselytize for my guy, but his darn croaking got in the way.

Michele
great post! it really hurts when you want to like something... and since i had waited for this album for so damn long... i was double dissappointed... but i always keep in mind... just because i didn't like it, doesn't mean it's not good... but it isn't lol!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I agree on the croaking and the dated engineering techniques. They're still kinda cool, but he's just limiting himself by insisting on doing things the way they did 25 years ago. I don't want to hear another song like "Show You How" because of the annoying click track he ingratiously left on it. It drives me nuts to listen to it because it makes me think I'm practicing, since it's the EXACT same noise on my multi-tracking software. I'd like to hear more hooky rock like on his tour. I hope he decides to release "Shuffle Riff" and "Twist of Fate". Those are my two favorite GOS tracks. I'd like him to be done with those finally. They all would have made a more cohesive album together instead of how he had to cannibalize them, but they're still great.
it's funny i have a Yamaha Motif ES 8 and the new joni album that came out last year has some of the performance samples that she put on her album verbatim... drives me nutz too
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I hope he decides to release "Shuffle Riff" and "Twist of Fate". Those are my two favorite GOS tracks. I'd like him to be done with those finally. They all would have made a more cohesive album together instead of how he had to cannibalize them, but they're still great.
if he doesn't put Shuffle Riff on I will be devastated... That is the perfect opening song for a LB rock album. (I am glad he didnt put it on SYW!)
Old 06-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post
if he doesn't put Shuffle Riff on I will be devastated... That is the perfect opening song for a LB rock album. (I am glad he didnt put it on SYW!)
AMEN to that. That is by far the strongest off Gift of Screws IMO. The hooky chorus is the perfect launching point for this album. I agree that UTS was a setback, but it was necessary to allow an album like this to work for Lindsey.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved many, many aspects about UTS as an album. I have never felt it was a setback...more a step forward. Granted, I still haven't been able to train my ears to enjoy Flying Down Juniper. That song has never clicked for me and 9 out of 10 times I pass right by it. As far as his voice goes, it didn't bother me what he did on the album because that's just what he does. I do prefer his voice live because quite frankly, I like his voice better than what he "creates". I think this album has a sweetness to it though. Maybe that's just me. It felt honest, laid back, positive and though still introspective about the past...It still felt like he has taken that step forward.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I definitely didn't think UTS was a step back. And to my untrained ear, I didn't think that the sound was old-fashioned or rudimentary in any way. I might say that about his Mirage nods to the past, but it didn't occur to me with UTS. I don't think I would have gone all acoustic for one album. More of a mix would have worked for me, but as long as we get the second album, that isn't even a complaint. It will be the book end to UTS in my mind.

Michele
Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to disagree about UTS being a regression for Lindsey. I think, lyrically, it's probably one of his strongest efforts. And then there are pure masterpieces on there, such as Down On Rodeo, SGTCYM, Shut Us Down, Castaway Dreams, Show You How...and I love It was You and Under the Skin. Perhaps it was overproduced, because I think the songs would have made a deeper impact had he not done all the voice-layering. I realize that was the point, but I never liked it much when John Lennon did it and I don't think Lindsey needed to.

Overall, though, I love that album. He seems to be in such a rich place, emotionally and mentally, and it shows. I think that was the point of the album. I'd say it falls just below Out of the Cradle for me. And that album was just perfection in every way, so...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I'm going to disagree about UTS being a regression for Lindsey. I think, lyrically, it's probably one of his strongest efforts. And then there are pure masterpieces on there, such as Down On Rodeo, SGTCYM, Shut Us Down, Castaway Dreams, Show You How...and I love It was You and Under the Skin. Perhaps it was overproduced, because I think the songs would have made a deeper impact had he not done all the voice-layering. I realize that was the point, but I never liked it much when John Lennon did it and I don't think Lindsey needed to.

Overall, though, I love that album. He seems to be in such a rich place, emotionally and mentally, and it shows. I think that was the point of the album. I'd say it falls just below Out of the Cradle for me. And that album was just perfection in every way, so...
I agree with you on OUt of the Cradle being near perfection... but UTS to me sounds like he is lost.... and dated.. vs modern and fresh...
Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm all for the new album to come out in the summer, but going by experience, I won't believe it until I've got it in my hands - or got the order number from a catalogue or its online equivalent. It would be a good business move to put it out in summer, so there is still some time left to spread the word for increasing sales in the build-up to the holiday period.

Regarding the UTS album, on 1st listen, it felt like a disappointment for me, but by now, it's almost closed the gap to OOTC. "Down On Rodeo" and "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" are excellent. The vocal effects he uses on the newer recordings seem like just the continuation of a trend that was already recognizable as developing on the OOTC album, and I like them very much. They give these songs a quirky edge, which I enjoy. "It Was You" and my personal choice for 1st single, "Show You How", excel at this.

If the new one is going to be a rock album, I'm all for the inclusion of "Twist Of Fate". "Deep Dense" is sweet, too. I guess every GOS demo got their admirers amongst Lindsey's fans. These song sketches are like "old friends", so jumping at the chance and releasing them would be beneficial.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post
Oh wow, yes please! One of my all-time favourite Lindsey songs.