The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:40 PM

Default What's good for Christine is bad for Lindsey?

When Lindsey left the band before the Tango tour, it caused a major controversy. To this day, people on this forum still slam him for it.

BUT:

How come when Christine recorded a bunch of songs for Time and declined to tour it was OK with the fans?

How come when Christine stopped the Dance tour short after 40 dates she didn't incur the same kind of criticism Lindsey did?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think there are two big reasons.

Number one being that Fleetwood Mac didn't tour to support 'Time'... they toured prior to its release. And Christine's involvement with the album was always done with the knowledge that she wouldn't be involved with any tours that may have followed, anyway. So there were no false expectations there.

Number two being that the 'Dance' tour was only ever scheduled for 45-dates, as the band had left it open for them to decide if they wanted to continue beyond that or not.
No additional dates had been booked before Christine decided that 45-dates were plenty for her.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

When Lindsey left the band before the Tango tour, it caused a major controversy. To this day, people on this forum still slam him for it.

BUT:

How come when Christine recorded a bunch of songs for Time and declined to tour it was OK with the fans?

How come when Christine stopped the Dance tour short after 40 dates she didn't incur the same kind of criticism Lindsey did?

I think when LB left, the way he went about it was sort of 'yeah I'll do it, make all the plans'-- then 'no, I won't, I'm leaving, goodbye'. He sort of pulled the rug out from under them. Plus they were all in very different places in thier lives than they are now-- and hence the response was a little crazier.

I don't think it was 'OK w/ the fans' when Chris didn't tour w/ Fmac after Time. Did you go to any of those shows? I went to two, and boy, it was sad. The crowds were, for the most part, pretty apathetic. Watching Mick do his crazy drum solo in front of 20 bored people was agonizing. I loved seeing John and Mick, and frankly the band was pretty good, but I still felt embarrassed for them. Chris, contractually, HAD to contribute to Time-- even though she didn't really want to-- but she did not have to tour.

None of us know really what response the band had when C said she wouldn't tour anymore. Stevie has said they did try to convince her to stay; LB has said he understood her need to leave and was an ally. If she had stuff going on in her personal life, then I think M and J would have to be supportive enough to say 'go do what you need to do, you've been devoting your life to us for 30 years.' Also, she *had done* 40 dates. That's no small potatoes. At the Tango time, LB didn't do any dates at all.

JMHO.

-Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>>I don't think it was 'OK w/ the fans' when Chris didn't tour w/ Fmac after Time. Did you go to any of those shows? >>

I'm correcting myself. :-) I forgot, they did tour before and not after Time.

-Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Did you go to any of those shows? I went to two, and boy, it was sad. The crowds were, for the most part, pretty apathetic.
Lis, it was one of the worse concerts I've attended. For all I know, the band might have even been tighter than when they toured for Behind the Mask, which as I recall was a bit loose. But the lack of energy on stage and the very poorly thought-out set list was awful. Not to mention, FM took the stage after REO Speedwagon, which, say whatever you want about them, had torn up the place with their energy and a fun-loving show.

Quote:
Number one being that Fleetwood Mac didn't tour to support 'Time'... they toured prior to its release.
But she did record songs for a band that was on tour but with which she didn't want to tour. Still weird, no?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I think when LB left, the way he went about it was sort of 'yeah I'll do it, make all the plans'-- then 'no, I won't, I'm leaving, goodbye'. He sort of pulled the rug out from under them.
"he said she said".. umm I don't like to pretend I actually know which version is right, but Lindsey's version of this is that he didn't want to tour from the start on, but felt coerced by the band to do so. That they convinced him to do otherwise. It wasn't a "yeah, great, of course I'll tour with you" song from the beginning of recording TITN.

Quote:
Plus they were all in very different places in thier lives than they are now-- and hence the response was a little crazier.
I agree with that one.

could it be... uh.. I'm going to get slammed for this one.. that the band knew that Lindsey's gap was going to be a bigger one to fill than Christine's now?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
But she did record songs for a band that was on tour but with which she didn't want to tour. Still weird, no?
Oh, it was definitely weird... and yet another reason why I wasn't surprised that they didn't go the same route with 'Say You Will.'

And yet, Christine's involvement on the 'Time' album was more along the lines of a "blending," and not as dominant (I'm not using that word in a bad way) as Lindsey's involvement on 'Tango.'
Her songs were basically recorded solo, and then the band overdubbed their backing vocals, drums and bass.
Also, her backing vocals (but not keys) were added to the other members' material only after it was decided to add her songs.
It was a very weird approach (but then, this IS Fleetwood Mac we're talking about!), but it was done with the knowledge that Christine's involvement would be strictly limited to those 5 tracks on the album, and nothing more.

We also have to remember that, when Christine retired from the road in 1990, she made it clear that she had every intention of continuing to record with Fleetwood Mac, if they wanted her there. So, again, there were no false expectations for her bandmates or the fans.

Not looking to question Lindsey's motives and/or personal situation in 1987, but perhaps if he hadn't hedged about touring, then expectations wouldn't have been there, and there would have been less hard feelings.
His heart wasn't in it, but his waffling allowed there to be a level of optimism. And when he did say yes, and a tour was booked, matters became all the worse.

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, these are the reasons why I believe Christine doesn't get a lot of flak.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think part of it has do with the fact that TITN turned out to be a very successful album. I think the band wanted to tour to sustain the success of the album. By the time "Time" rolled around, the party was over for FM.

As for the Dance, she only agreed to the first 45 dates. And I think they had to beg and plead for her to do that much.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
uh.. I'm going to get slammed for this one.. that the band knew that Lindsey's gap was going to be a bigger one to fill than Christine's now?

You're right..you ARE going to get slammed for that one!..lol!...but really..definitely not the reason!..in fact there IS a gap left in Fleetwood Mac at the moment,and it's quite BIG. I'm so glad Christine's album is coming out soon,I miss her in the band.Also,I don't think the band suffered at all by Lindsey's leaving.Rick and Billy were great additions.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chris, contractually, HAD to contribute to Time-- even though she didn't really want to-- but she did not have to tour.
Really? I've never heard this before. Did she not want to contribute to Time?

Christine had been very slowly trying to pull out of the band for years. I think the gradual *plunk* *plunk* of hints sort of softened the blow when she finally did it. She stopped The Dance tour, but since it had been a "reunion tour" anyway, I don't think most folks really expected it to go on forever. While I think Lindsey was kind of slowly trying to pull out of the band in the latter 80s (and the band knew he didn't want to tour), when he committed to Tango in such a big way as producer, etc., I think it put fears in the fanbase to rest that he was going to go soon. So then when he did go, it seemed more abrupt. And it was in the midst of them still being considered an important band on MTV, radio, etc., so it was a bigger splash in that way.

Quote:
Plus they were all in very different places in thier lives than they are now-- and hence the response was a little crazier.
I think that's very true too. Plus, I think fans sometimes take their cues about the vehemence of their own reactions on the basis of how some in the band react to things.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>.>>But she did record songs for a band that was on tour but with which she didn't want to tour. Still weird, no?>>>

Yeah, that was weird, but again--she *had* to do the album.

>>>Lindsey's version of this is that he didn't want to tour from the start on, but felt coerced by the band to do so. That they convinced him to do otherwise. It wasn't a "yeah, great, of course I'll tour with you" song from the beginning of recording TITN.>>

This is absolutely true. The rest of the group probably didn't think he'd actually take the plunge and leave, and were floored when he did.

--Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chris, contractually, HAD to contribute to Time-- even though she didn't really want to-- but she did not have to tour.

-Lis
I agree with Johnny Stew and ThePenguin admin. I think the way how LB left the band was far different from Christine's.

But I didn't know about the contractual situation of Chris. I knew she said "count on me" on recording sessions (according to Mick, at least). But I didn't know if she has a deal with the band, the record company or something like that.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I could be completely wrong, but I don't recall Christine being contractually obligated to contribute to 'Time.'

I think she felt "obligated" out of loyalty, but no other reason.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I know I read somewhere that she was contractually obligated to do that album. I'll have to dig around to try and find that interview.

-Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Christine was asked by Mick at the last minute to contribute some songs to the Time album. Wasn't there an album called "Another Link In The Chain" which didn't include Christine at all? I seem to remember somebody posting something like this a while ago.