User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Actually according to the Martin Celmins Peter Green bio, Green was asking for it.
Well, Green may have been asking to be told off. There are many different names you can call someone, many other insults you can hurl.

Michele
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, Green may have been asking to be told off. There are many different names you can call someone, many other insults you can hurl.

Michele
I agree, but this is years before political correctness, and people weren't afraid to say what they were thinking. I'm sure what John said was pure instinct, very poor instinct.

Here's how it was written by Martin Celmins in Peter Green's biography page 81:

"Pete also sometimes had quite a cruel sense of humour, and I think this was under Jeremy (Spencer)'s influence. The whole band could be really wicked at times. I had a tape once of Mac recorded live at a club near the Oval cricket ground. Christine Perfect was in the wings at the side of the stage, watching the show. They did one number during which Peter introduced the band individually. When it came to John, Pete mentioned how his bass player was a really shy person, and John dipped his head as if to lay it on a bit. Pete then said something like, "You know, it took John six months before he could even summon up the gall to hold Christine Perfect's hand..." Then there was a big silence before Peter said, "...let alone f**k the arse of her!" John was really annoyed by this. He went up to the microphone and shouted, "You f**king Jew!" He managed to control himself, but it was close. I'm sure Peter only said that for Jeremy's benefit. It was the kind of thing that [Jeremy] loved to do."

This is off-topic but I've heard that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley used to get a lot of anti-semitic flak from bandmates Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss (KISS). For a real whopper of a story, Eric Clapton had a drunk tirade on stage sometime in the mid-70's. He was complaining that there too many arabs, and non-whites in Britain, and they all needed to leave. Britain (to Clapton) was a whites only country.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

I agree, but this is years before political correctness, and people weren't afraid to say what they were thinking. I'm sure what John said was pure instinct, very poor instinct.

Here's how it was written by Martin Celmins in Peter Green's biography page 81:

"Pete also sometimes had quite a cruel sense of humour, and I think this was under Jeremy (Spencer)'s influence. The whole band could be really wicked at times. I had a tape once of Mac recorded live at a club near the Oval cricket ground. Christine Perfect was in the wings at the side of the stage, watching the show. They did one number during which Peter introduced the band individually. When it came to John, Pete mentioned how his bass player was a really shy person, and John dipped his head as if to lay it on a bit. Pete then said something like, "You know, it took John six months before he could even summon up the gall to hold Christine Perfect's hand..." Then there was a big silence before Peter said, "...let alone f**k the arse of her!" John was really annoyed by this. He went up to the microphone and shouted, "You f**king Jew!" He managed to control himself, but it was close. I'm sure Peter only said that for Jeremy's benefit. It was the kind of thing that [Jeremy] loved to do."

This is off-topic but I've heard that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley used to get a lot of anti-semitic flak from bandmates Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss (KISS). For a real whopper of a story, Eric Clapton had a drunk tirade on stage sometime in the mid-70's. He was complaining that there too many arabs, and non-whites in Britain, and they all needed to leave. Britain (to Clapton) was a whites only country.
I'm sure John was very angry but it was a stupid thing to say. Peter was very, very rude but that had nothing at all to do with being Jewish. It had everything to do with him being a rude git.

As for Clapton's tirade that led to the formation of Rock Against Racism

Gail
Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I'm sure John was very angry but it was a stupid thing to say. Peter was very, very rude but that had nothing at all to do with being Jewish. It had everything to do with him being a rude git.

As for Clapton's tirade that led to the formation of Rock Against Racism

Gail

In Clapton's case, that was the alcohol talkin'...he apologized profusely in the days after that tirade, as well. Plus, it's odd that Clapton would've been so racist, especially since 1) his career has been made on "black music" and 2) he's pretty much had black musicians in his bands for the past 30 years.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Gail
I'm confused: was it John or Chris who made the antisemitic comment? One person says "she got up on stage" which seems unlikely, whereas the rest are saying it was John...

I agree that one can tell someone off w/out resorting to Jew jokes, which aren't funny.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, things were different then, but also, people can behave differently in certain groups of people. Maybe Jew jokes weren't that big a deal to Peter if coming from people he liked. It's all in context. Hell, if I'm with a bunch of guys I drink with, and somebody calls me a faggot, I don't get pissy (mainly because everybody knows I'm not gay), and I likely laugh and make an equally tasteless comment at my own expense. However, if a total stranger came up to me and called me a faggot, I'd be extremely offended and it will probably become an issue. Context.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yeah, things were different then, but also, people can behave differently in certain groups of people. Maybe Jew jokes weren't that big a deal to Peter if coming from people he liked. It's all in context. Hell, if I'm with a bunch of guys I drink with, and somebody calls me a faggot, I don't get pissy (mainly because everybody knows I'm not gay), and I likely laugh and make an equally tasteless comment at my own expense. However, if a total stranger came up to me and called me a faggot, I'd be extremely offended and it will probably become an issue. Context.
This is true, but one has to remember that being a Jew in England has never been a minor issue. The cultural context there is quite important.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
However, if a total stranger came up to me and called me a faggot, I'd be extremely offended and it will probably become an issue.
Have you met Perez Hilton?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Have you met Perez Hilton?

Is he the founding member of the Pink Panthers? His outlandish temper-tantrums aren't helping his cause. I agree with most of his positions, but the guy has to tone it down just a little.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-04-2009 at 08:17 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I'm confused: was it John or Chris who made the antisemitic comment? One person says "she got up on stage" which seems unlikely, whereas the rest are saying it was John...

I agree that one can tell someone off w/out resorting to Jew jokes, which aren't funny.
According to Peter Green's biography it was John

Gail
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM

All I can say is.... You must be pretty legendary to still have people speculating your life if after you've been retired for over 10 years..
Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
All I can say is.... You must be pretty legendary to still have people speculating your life if after you've been retired for over 10 years..
Do you mean Christine? She hasn't been retired for 10 years. She's just been retired from FM for that long. ITM reset the clock and we are free to speculate about her for another 10 years from that date .

Michele
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you mean Christine? She hasn't been retired for 10 years. She's just been retired from FM for that long. ITM reset the clock and we are free to speculate about her for another 10 years from that date .

Michele
Hear Hear!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:

Michele
well blow my nose!!