Default Dave Mason: Future's Past

Dave Mason: Future’s Past, American Songwriter

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/05/135526/

Written by Hal Horowitz May 15th, 2014

Dave Mason
Future’s Past
(RED/Something-Music)
2 out of 5 stars

With all due respect to Dave Mason, whose Zelig-like appearances with Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, Cass Elliot, Delaney & Bonnie, Fleetwood Mac and Steve Winwood/Traffic assures him at least footnote status in any history of 60s/70s rock, this hodgepodge of re-recorded hits and a few new tracks seems to exist only as “fresh” product to hawk at concerts. Mason’s B classic rocker status makes it difficult to earn a living selling CDs—fans already own the old stuff and since his most recent album of originals was eight years ago, there’s nothing to promote on his current tour—so he has reverted to revamping Traffic’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy” and “You Can All Join In” along with two tracks from his classic debut Alone Together in versions that are pleasant but hardly essential. However, in a bit of inexplicable revisionist history, Mason now adds his name as co-songwriter to “Dear Mr. Fantasy” (it’s not on any other of the song’s many Traffic compilation appearances) and worse, Robert Johnson’s archetypal blues standard “Come On In My Kitchen,” a track we can safely assume he had no hand in writing.

All that said, none of this is unlistenable and when Mason locks into “El Toro (Spanish Blues),” it shows his nimble guitar abilities on both acoustic and electric guitar remain in full flower. “That’s Freedom,” the lone new composition that closes the short 35 minute album is a lyrically preachy plea for errr, something, with hot soloing and random Beatles’ song references that doesn’t speak well of what seems to be Mason’s declining songwriting abilities as he ages. Still, now pushing 70, Mason delivers convincing concerts of his hits to a fan base who would do well to steer clear of this eclectic mishmash and stick to his definitive music that remains often rousing and inspirational even if it no longer pays the bills.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow you can see all the Mason fans rushing to rave about this album

I'm about 2/3 of the way through, been listening to it in the car to and from work. I have to say while I do like Mason's great guitar playing, there isn't really anything particularly exciting about the album. Yeah, good versions of songs he's done good versions of before.

Best songs on the album are the two Traffic songs.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Reunion is up to Winwood, not him]

Future's Past: Dave Mason Talks Recording with Jimi Hendrix, New Album and More

Posted 06/27/2014 at 4:23pm | by James Wood, Guitar World

http://www.guitarworld.com/futures-p...album-and-more

Guitarist and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Dave Mason was a founding member of Traffic (along with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood). He's also recorded and/or toured with the likes of George Harrison, the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Michael Jackson.

Then there’s also the little matter of his historic performance on Jimi Hendrix’s iconic version of Bob Dylan's “All Along the Watchtower."

Mason’s new album, Future’s Past, pays homage to those early years by featuring new versions of songs from his Traffic days and solo career, including new interpretations of “As Sad and Deep As You” and “World In Changes." Rounding out the nine-track album is a new song, “That’s Freedom."

Mason is on the road with the Traffic Jam Tour, which pays tribute to his former band and his solo years. I recently spoke with Mason about Future’s Past, his days with Traffic and his experience with Hendrix.

GUITAR WORLD: How did the Future’s Past project begin?

There wasn't really a plan. I have a huge collection of material I've recorded over the last few years. Some of the songs applied to my Traffic Jam show (“Dear Mr. Fantasy," “You Can All Join In.") Then I had “World in Changes," which was from my Alone Together album but sounds absolutely nothing like the original. My original intent was to use these tracks for an EP of about four songs, but since I also had a few other tracks and everything sounded so good, I decided to just put them all on there. The thing I like is that the album doesn't sound dated. It all sounds fresh and new.

One of the highlights on the record is the version of “As Sad and Deep As You.”

That's basically a live cut. It has such a strong emotion and mood. To me, it's better than the original. That's why it's on there.

You also have a new song called “That's Freedom." How did that track originate?

A piano player who used to play live with me would always play this line when we were going into the slowdown/play-out of the song "Look at You Look at Me." I thought it was a cool line so I built the song around it. Lyrically, it's my own take on the State of the Union.

What can you tell me about your current tour?

Since the beginning of the year, I've been out doing my Traffic Jam show. The first part of the show is where I do some Traffic material from the early days, and then the second half of the show is my own stuff. We'll be out for about 120 shows this year.

How did Traffic originate?

Jim Capaldi and I had bands together when we were kids. We only lived a few miles apart and were both big fans of Spencer Davis and finally met up with Steve at a club and we all just started hanging out together. Over time it eventually got to the point where Steve wanted to do something new, and that's basically how it started.

Can you tell me the story of how you met Jimi Hendrix?

I was aware of Jimi when he first came to London, even before he had ever made a record. London was a conglomeration of great people all in one place. There were only so many studios and a few good engineers around at the time, so it was inevitable that people would run into each other from time to time.

I met Jimi at a late-night club one night and just started talking to him. He was a Traffic fan and I remember he got up and played with the band that was there that night and I just said, "Wow!" [laughs].

How did you end up playing on his version of “All Along The Watchtower"?

One night, Jimi and I were at a party listening to John Wesley Harding [Bob Dylan’s latest album at the time] when Jimi got it into his head that he wanted to do “All Along the Watchtower." I remember he said to me, “That’s the coolest song! I’m gonna go and record it! You want to come and do it with me?” That's basically how it started. He was just amazing.

You’ve worked with so many great artists and sat in for historic musical sessions. Were you aware at the time of the impact those experiences would have on people?

I knew they were great tracks that created attention, but it's hard to say what people would really think because at the time, I was living it. Looking back now, I was very fortunate to have ended up playing with so many great artists, even just for a moment.

Do you ever foresee something akin to a Traffic reunion?

Unfortunately, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood have passed away, so the only ones left are myself and [Steve] Winwood. But I'll give you the same answer that I give to everyone, “You're asking the wrong person.” Yes, of course. There's a great audience out there who would love to see it happen. But that's really a question for Steve.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His last album of proper new tracks was wonderful

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to skew the topic off .

Dave is coming to Hamden CT Aug 1st.I got to check him out.I think the show is for free..

http://www.davemasonmusic.com/tour

Dave Mason's Traffic Jam Towne Center Park at Meadowbrook
Hamden, CT 7:30pm Aug.1.2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They also have The Platters ,Fran Cosmo of Boston and The Fifth Dimension stopping there too.

From
http://www.hamdenartscommission.org/concerts.html

Friday, August 1: Dave Mason's Traffic Jam Tour

The singer/songwriter/musician, a 2004 inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, has played and recorded with such musical greats as Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, the Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Michael Jackson. A co-founder of the band, Traffic, Mason has embarked on a Traffic Jam Tour. He will perform Feelin' Alright, Dear Mr. Fantasy, We Just Disagree, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Only You Know and I Know, Medicated Goo and more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops: No mention about his FM gigs in the into on the concert website.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lehigh Valley Live by Dustin Schoof, July 18, 2014

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/musi..._on_frien.html

Dave Mason looks back on friendship with Jimi Hendrix, revisiting Traffic for Bethlehem concert

Dave Mason is stumped.

As a recent phone conversation circles back to digital music and downloading, the English guitarist and founding Traffic member wonders aloud, "People will spend $5 on a cafe-mocha-latte-whatever. But you drink it and then it's gone. But people are hesitant to spend a buck on a song that will last a lifetime."

Such is the challenge, Mason says, he and other artists face in embracing how music is consumed and enjoyed by the mainstream in the 21st century. Mason made his new album, "Futures Past," available through his website, davemasonmusic.com.

"It's hard to delve into without sounding negative," Mason admits when asked for his feelings on the transition to digital releases. "I'm speaking for everyone out there, artists who create new stuff and write new stuff ... it also goes to people working in the written word, the problem is technology is wonderful, but the problem is the things we created, which became our songs, our legacy; our copyrights were really our retirement," Mason says. "That has been rendered somewhat worthless because people are just taking everything.

"It's destroying intellectual property. All of us in the creative world, once we're turned into zeros and ones, goodbye."

Traffic flow

But Mason is otherwise cheery while discussing his journey across the frontier of rock 'n' roll. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member will bring his "Dave Mason's Traffic Jam" concert Thursday night to Musikfest Cafe in Bethlehem.

Mason, inducted in 2004 into the hall of fame with Traffic, explains the first half of the show concentrates on material from Traffic's first two studio albums: 1967's "Mr. Fantasy" and the 1968 followup, "Traffic." Mason says the set list includes songs he did not originally record for the latter album. (He left Traffic after the release of "Mr. Fantasy" but rejoined halfway through the recording of the self-titled album.)

Mason's song "Feelin' Alright" was first recorded by Traffic in 1968 and appeared on "Mr. Fantasy." The song then became a hit for singer Joe Cocker when he covered it on his 1969 album, "With a Little Help from My Friends."

The second half of Mason's performance will feature music from his solo career, he says. Other Mason-penned hits include Traffic's "Hole in My Shoe" and the song "We Just Disagree."

"I pick songs that are fun to play, which is important because we're up there," Mason says, chuckling.

Tuned in

Mason's career has found him working with Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, David Crosby and Graham Nash, among others.

Watching Jimi Hendrix perform in England before the iconic guitarist had released his first record is a highlight for Mason and one that stands out the most.

"I thought maybe I should take up another instrument," Mason says of watching Hendrix on stage for the first time.

Mason would befriend Hendrix and collaborated with him on Hendrix's landmark 1968 album "Electric Ladyland." Mason recorded the 12-string acoustic guitar part heard on Hendrix's popular cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower." (Mason re-recorded his own version of "Watchtower" for his 1974 self-titled debut album.)

"He was very innovative in many ways. ... I'm fortunate I got to work with him and have a couple of things end up on 'Electric Ladyland.'"

Mason says he also recorded bass and sitar tracks for Hendrix that were never released. "I have no idea what happened to them," Mason says.

Mason says he continues to take a simple and direct approach to playing the guitar. He says the key is in the fingering. "There's always something new for me to learn on there, something to do within my capabilities. It's a fun instrument to play," Mason says. "The great thing about it (the guitar), like any instrument, is you can give it to six or seven people and they're all going to sound different."

ON STAGE

What: "Dave Mason's Traffic Jam"

When: 8 p.m. Thursday
Old 10-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

I got an email today saying the Traffic Jam tour will last throughout 2015! Good for Dave