Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
AMEN.
she needs to get on that mess now
while she's still motivated and having fun

i think the Vault deux will be better than uno
if she doesn't go doing covers and adding weird $ Hit to it
Yeah, Chris and Lindsey and handle Fleetwood Mac. I'm afraid will never do another album.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEpiscopalian View Post
I have seen a great number of people ****ing about the album in many ways. I have read people trying to compare it to past albums, such as IYD. I find that to be absolutely abhorrent.

How can you compare an album to previous work? "They dont sound the same. So disappointed" Well duh it doesn't sound the same. As I have said before on here, artists grow and the musics going to sound different. If she released 24 albums all sounding pretty much identical to Belladonna I think THAT should be something to ***ch about.
Thank you for your voice of reason and insight. Putting personal expectations in a box is always a set up for disappointment. Sustaining a creative musical career often requires twists and turns off the beaten path.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from an article in which Dead Milkmen compare their new album to the competition's and mention Stevie]

Penn Live by Rodney Anonymous | Special to PennLive
on October 21, 2014 at

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainmen...tevie_nic.html

Round One: The Dead Milkmen vs. Stevie Nicks

As if we needed further evidence that Hipsters run the world, this album wouldn't exist had not, a few years back, Pitchfork awarded the rerelease of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" a perfect ten-out-of-ten. No word as to whether or not they then declared Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" to be mankind's greatest achievement but, clearly, somebody's at Pitchfork's grandfather ate the brown acid during Woodstock.

Winner: The Dead Milkmen

To be honest, I only listened to about the first thirty seconds of the first track, "Starshine," from "24-Karat Gold -- Songs From the Vault." I was afraid that if I listened to any more than that I would wake up by the side of the road wearing a peasant skirt and a shawl...again.

Coincidentally, the title track from "Pretty Music For Pretty People" contains a line mocking Pitchfork's terrible ten-out-of-ten reviews so, yeah, I feel vindicated.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm loving Carousel so much at the moment.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am loving the entire album. Frankly I will say it is her best ever. The songs are all pure Stevie (except Carousel) and the production flexible and strong throughout. There are so many beautiful moments to savour. In the past her albums always seems to contain a proportion of drecky numbers designed to get radio play or songs not written by her or some kind of excess. Here she really seems to throw all that away and the product is so much more pure. It has all I love about Stevie.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Registered

Weird. I just heard "Belle Fleur" on my local classic rock radio station they said "That was the new one from Stevie Nicks" It sounded a little edited in the intro. There was still the awesome bass part, but it seem like there was less of it
Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Weird. I just heard "Belle Fleur" on my local classic rock radio station they said "That was the new one from Stevie Nicks" It sounded a little edited in the intro. There was still the awesome bass part, but it seem like there was less of it
Bass intro? You don't mean "24 Karat Gold"?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My God, I can't stop playing this record! Anyone else having this "problem"?!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
My God, I can't stop playing this record! Anyone else having this "problem"?!
Me either!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I am loving the entire album. Frankly I will say it is her best ever. The songs are all pure Stevie (except Carousel) and the production flexible and strong throughout. There are so many beautiful moments to savour. In the past her albums always seems to contain a proportion of drecky numbers designed to get radio play or songs not written by her or some kind of excess. Here she really seems to throw all that away and the product is so much more pure. It has all I love about Stevie.
Yeah, that's what I would say too. You put that rather nicely, especially that last part!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

anyone else notice the opening to Blue Water and If You Were My Love are exactly the same??

Play just the first ten seconds and it's the same song. (yes, the arrangements are slightly different, and Blue Water might be like an octave lower (if that) but it's the same)

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 10-25-2014 at 12:52 AM..
Old 10-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
anyone else notice the opening to Blue Water and If You Were My Love are exactly the same??

Play just the first ten seconds and it's the same song. (yes, the arrangements are slightly different, and Blue Water might be like an octave lower (if that) but it's the same)
Yes, I have noticed that, but it wouldn't be a first for Stevie song overlaps. Probably a whole other thread. Illume and Destiny Rules have shared lyrics etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Yes, I have noticed that, but it wouldn't be a first for Stevie song overlaps. Probably a whole other thread. Illume and Destiny Rules have shared lyrics etc.
well she liberally re-uses lyrics. :0

I just happened to have 24 karat gold on shuffle and it played those two songs back to back and I thought it was on repeat and went to change it, then realized it wasn't on repeat. We all know (and she always says) she knows only a handful of chords, but usually it's disguised in the arrangements. These two are literally the same notes. Knowing she really just writes the same song over and over is one thing versus hearing it so literally. No wonder Waddy gets bored.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well she liberally re-uses lyrics. :0

I just happened to have 24 karat gold on shuffle and it played those two songs back to back and I thought it was on repeat and went to change it, then realized it wasn't on repeat. We all know (and she always says) she knows only a handful of chords, but usually it's disguised in the arrangements. These two are literally the same notes. Knowing she really just writes the same song over and over is one thing versus hearing it so literally. No wonder Waddy gets bored.
"I Don't Care" heavily samples a Led Zeppelin riff. I'm not sure of which song though. Even the ooh baby, ooh baby parts. I've been wanting to figure this out but just too lazy to play my Zeppelin records. I'm guessing though this might be Waddy's or the Nashville band's embellishments of the demo.

Last edited by jwd; 10-25-2014 at 01:19 AM..
Old 10-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Wow... long thread! Wish I had time to read every post like I used to in the old days as this album certainly deserves it. As with every great Stevie album, I wasn't immediately taken with this release. In fact, IYD hit me faster than this one. I listened to 24KG for the first week, then put it away. Picked it up again a couple weeks later and now it's growing on me. There are so many great choruses, harmonies and licks to listen for and appreciate. This truly is classic Stevie from the 80s. At first, I was a bit put off that it seemed to sound so much like OSOTM or Street Angel and that's what made me put it away for a bit. But life got a bit stressful, so I pulled it back out and now Stevie sounds like an angel to me. Her vocals are truly amazing on this album... strong, emotional and very much like the Stevie of the 80s, which 30 years later is nothing short of phenomenal. At first, Blue Water was a stand out for me, but now I'm having a hard time with that because there are so many other songs that are standing out too, just simply based on the phenomenal vocal parts. There are parts of songs where I feel the tone goes too far in the low range and not a fan of that at all, but you take the good with the bad, IMO. This is a great album and I'm so happy she did this for the fans as I remember talking about some of these songs in demo form. In fact, I went digging through all my CDs and found some of them I'd burned off way back from Napster days, lol! It was a kick to listen to Then and Now. I think what makes the vocals so great on some of these cuts is that she stayed true to the vocal styling of the demos and that's what gives them the timeless vintage Stevie feel. Thumbs way up and of course hoping she gets a nod from the industry for this one.