User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
WOW that is absolutely gorgeous.. I wish someone could bring me home one.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are these selling well?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Are these selling well?
considering she ignored the buyers and press at the opening Probably no ( i was just speaking to a friend who was there and there is a post from a member of the press in this tread )
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
I'm 95% sure it's Stevie's manager, Sheryl Louis' dog. His name is Rodney and I've seen/met him at several Stevie events. He is always being held by somebody, although they did let him run around Barnes and Noble a little bit before the dvd signing last year.
Good lord. Rodney is still with us? I remember seeing him on the Say You Will tour. Good for you Rodney! That dog gets around.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

style news

This Is How Stevie Nicks Invented the Selfie

Forget Kim Kardashian, the Fleetwood Mac frontwoman knew the art of selfies long before Instagram—and now, Nicks' personal collection of Polaroids from the '70s and '80s is on display

To coincide with the release of Stevie Nicks' album 24 Karat Gold and the reunited Fleetwood Mac touring, former Eurythmics frontman Dave Stewart and music gallerist Peter Blachley have mounted an exhibit of 24 of Nicks’ Polaroids from her personal collection.

“I guess you could say these were the original selfies,” says Blachley, founder of Morrison Hotel Gallery. “But it’s so much more because back then it was a bit different. It was still an analog system so you had to make sure the focus on photos was correct, and the angle was correct. There must have been so many outtakes to get a photo one liked.”

Blachley, who founded the gallery in 2001 with music retail industry professional Richard Horowitz and legendary music photographer Henry Diltz, curated the exhibit along with Stewart, who first worked with Morrison in 2007 (at its Bowery space) when he approached the gallery owner with some photography.

The Eurythmics musician had a number of photographs of iconic rock figures including Mick Jagger and Tom Perry. The Morrison Hotel Gallery mounted a successful exhibition of the photos and stayed in touch with Stewart afterward.

Stewart says, “Stevie had tons [of photos]! Boxes! Some were just pictures of whatever was happening at the time, but these are self-portraits.”

Stewart, who has known Nicks since 1983, produced two of her most recent albums and first saw the photographs, which were taken between 1975 and 1987, six months ago. He indicates that he knew instantly they would look “amazing” enlarged and told Nicks he would get them printed and brought to the gallery. After seeing some test prints, Nicks agreed to the exhibit.

Stewart and Blachley worked with Nash Editions, the digital printmaking company started by photographer Graham Nash in 1991, for the enlargement process. Nash Editions had been instrumental to the high quality of Stewart’s previous exhibit.

“Graham Nash is one of our photographers and he was a pioneer in this kind of digital scanning and printing. We've done some shows with recording artists and we evaluate and represent about 110 of the best photographers of music in the world so that’s quite a high standard. The Polaroid is a large negative but it’s actually a positive so you don’t lose anything blowing it up large because the resolution is already very high,” says Blachley. “The whole process was not digital, it was analog and a couple of these are as large as 60 x 70 and there’s no softness. The only digital part is when they did the super high resolution scanning.”

Nash Editions made very few corrections to the photographs in the exhibit besides making small spots of black a bit darker and cleaning up tiny imperfections, but otherwise the Polaroids of the show are presented as Nicks originally shot them. The musician art-directed each one using a wire with a shutter trigger button and chose the 24 in the exhibit.

The exhibit will be on display at the Morrison Hotel Gallery in New York (116 Prince St., 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10012; 212-941-8770), as well as its location in Los Angeles (1200 Alta Loma Rd., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 310-881-6025) through Oct. 31, after which Blachley indicates the gallery will still have selects available for view through the holiday season.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

And, here's the reason I was able to attend the gallery opening last Thursday:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/44067...e-the-original

Who Invented The Selfie? It's Hard To Say, But Stevie Nicks Might Just Be The Original Selfie Queen

Carrie Courogen

Three decades ago, rock legend Stevie Nicks was crowned the Reigning Queen of Rock and Roll. But now, she can add another royal title to her resume: the original Selfie Queen. Sorry, Kim K, but Stevie was taking selfies before you were even born — before they were even called selfies. There was no one singing “first, let me take a selfie,” no Snapchat, no Instagram filters. There were no 8-megapixel iPhone cameras with face detection — there weren’t even digital cameras. Nicks worked with an old school Polaroid, tripod, and a cable release to take carefully planned and designed self-portraits that are now being exhibited at the Morrison Hotel Gallery’s locations in New York and Los Angeles through Halloween.

Beginning in the mid-seventies, as her career with Fleetwood Mac was taking off, Stevie Nicks began taking Polaroid self-portraits in her home and in hotel rooms while on tour around the world. “Some people don’t sleep at night — I am one of those people,” Nicks says in a release about the exhibit.

The unusual hours meant that Nicks herself served as both the artist and the muse. “These pictures were taken long after everyone had gone to bed — I would begin after midnight and go until 4 or 5 in the morning. I did everything — I was the stylist, the makeup artist, the furniture mover, the lighting director — it was my joy. I was the model.”

Most of the Polaroids found their fate in empty shoeboxes where Nicks stored them away soon after they were developed, never thinking eyes other than hers would ever see them. Thirty or so years later, Nicks and producer Dave Stewart rediscovered the prints while recording her new solo album 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault — new studio recordings of previously unreleased demos from 1975 to 1987.

This was before cameras automatically fixed the focus and exposure. Nicks would stick a Polaroid camera on a tripod and use a long shutter release cable to take the photos, sometimes taking as many as 12 shots before she found one she liked. The only reason she eventually stopped using Polaroids is because they became “almost impossible to use, because they all eventually broke down and we couldn’t find film anywhere,” Nicks tells the New York Times.

Stewart was impressed with the technical detail of the snapshots, and wanted to convince the private songstress into sharing them with the world.

“I was explaining to her that they weren’t normal self-portraits. Even though they were on Polaroids, they were so good,” Stewart says. “I said I can blow these up and make museum prints. I think they’d be great in a big gallery. She went ‘Really!?’ and I said ‘Yeah! I’ll do it if you want’ and she said okay.”

Even blown up into 3-by-4 and 5-by-6 feet images, the images remain intimate and unique. In the exhibit’s release, Morrison Hotel Gallery Peter Blachley explained, “Her choice of set and color, combined with a fascinating creative imagination, documents a very special time in the history of music.”

The self-portraits put the rich history of the rock goddess’s career on display, from breezy 1970s California, to the heyday of ’80s rock. She’s Rhiannon in her black chiffon and witchy headdresses, the Gold Dust Woman with wide, glassy eyes, a heartbreaking tell of her well-publicized cocaine addiction. The photos mirror the diversity and stark honesty of her music. Glimpses of the wild side of rock and roll with big ’80s hair and loud makeup are contrasted against intensely intimate portraits of Nicks barefaced, quiet, vulnerable.

You can catch Nicks on tour with Fleetwood Mac, who just added 28 more North American tour dates for 2015. In the meantime, give her new album a spin and take some selfies in her honor.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Morrison Hotel Gallery Facebook page: "The Stevie Nicks exhibition in our New York Gallery just set a 14 year sales record. Thanks to everyone at the Morrison Hotel Gallery and now on to LA!!!!!"

https://www.facebook.com/MorrisonHotelGallery

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 10-17-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
From Morrison Hotel Gallery Facebook page: "The Stevie Nicks exhibition in our New York Gallery just set a 14 year sales record. Thanks to everyone at the Morrison Hotel Gallery and now on to LA!!!!!"

https://www.facebook.com/MorrisonHotelGallery
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like it continues to be a success

More "Self Portraits"

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 10-30-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

Sounds like it continues to be a success
Either that, or they extended the show because they can't unload what they have.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just read the Stevie exhibit have the Morrison gallery a 14-year sales record. Yah Stevie!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like the "Self Portrait" collection is still making the rounds.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=BlueDenimLamp;1154614]

Looks like the "Self Portrait" collection is still making the rounds.[/QUOTE

Wonder if she'll make an apprearance since FM will be playing in the area?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to the Hotel/Gallery (Dream) that they had in South Beach today. The guy I spoke with was very nice and we talked for a while. I was really interested to see how the Polaroids looked blown up since the quality of Polaroids prints were never that good to start with. I have to say I was impressed. They only carried several of Stevie's prints to the location but they looked amazing. And they had some really nice framed pieces from Danny Clinch too. I ended up buying a really nice book of Danny's. The guy at the gallery mentioned that they were working on a book for Stevie photos too, so we'll have to wait and see if it comes to full fruition. I told him it would sell really well. I'm still considering one of Stevie's prints. The guy said that they go UP in price as the limited signed editions came closer to selling out. Has anyone purchased any of these prints?

Last edited by soul_drifter333; 12-05-2014 at 10:06 PM..