Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Sorry, who are the sad, awful people?
I guess you've finished sharpening your darts for your Lindsey dart board.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I know that you can't let it go, and that's okay(if anyone has a hard time letting things go, it's me, so I understand).

You know, I prefer blonds over brunettes, and both over redheads. Sometimes there's not a valid reason behind someone's taste. It just is what it is.

Ask me how I feel about goat...
Oh Daddy is beautifully arranged, amazing vocal, sparse/terse drums, lovely keys, lush harmonies. I'm not letting this go either. Go to the beach already and sober up.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ok. Game on. I will try to change your mind. Let's remove the word Daddy and replace it with Stevie. It can be your personal note to Stevie...almost asking for forgiveness. It will make you change how you think about the song.

Oh Stevie
You know you make me cry
How can you love me
I dont understand why
Oh Stevie
If I can make you see
if there's been a fool around, its got to be me
Oh Stevie
You soothe me with your smile
You're letting me know
You're the best thing in my life
Oh Stevie
If I can make you see
If there's been a fool around
Its got to be me
Why is Macfan4life so right when I'm so wrong
I'm so weak but you're so strong
Everything you do is just alright
And I cant walk away from you
Baby if I tried
God, I love you!
Old 12-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Oh Daddy is beautifully arranged, amazing vocal, sparse/terse drums, lovely keys, lush harmonies. I'm not letting this go either. Go to the beach already and sober up.
Thank you! I love that song so much. I’m protective of it.

But even in some of the contemporary reviews of RUMOURS, “Oh Daddy” and “Songbird” got attitude from people who’d come to the band through the sunny California country-tinged rock of LB/SN. One reviewer claimed “Oh Daddy” and “Songbird” recalled the “solemn bleating” of the Christine Perfect record—and intimated that Christine was only an asset on up-tempo songs. Blimey.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Exactly. The lyrics and singing are ok but the musical track is just magic. It does not get any better than that especially Chris's keyboard playing at the end. Its so 70s, mystical, magical, and beautiful.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah...

We just got back from the beach, and we're heading back for sunset. Drinks in hand!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Exactly. The lyrics and singing are ok but the musical track is just magic. It does not get any better than that especially Chris's keyboard playing at the end. Its so 70s, mystical, magical, and beautiful.
See, I said I love you way too soon. The lyrics and vocals are amazing to me. I love the isolated track on the Rumours documentary that Ken plays. It's very haunting to me.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah...

We just got back from the beach, and we're heading back for sunset. Drinks in hand!
Like Homer thru the looking glass, she used to know who she was.

Have fun Homie!! Get a nice tan!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-28-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like Homer thru the looking glass, she used to know who she was.

Have fun Homie!! Get a nice tan!
This winter sun ain't like no summer sun. I've put in about 7 hours, and I'm not even pink! My very pale family is pink, but I'm not...

Illume, my ass!
Old 12-28-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
This winter sun ain't like no summer sun. I've put in about 7 hours, and I'm not even pink! My very pale family is pink, but I'm not...

Illume, my ass!
And the burn they feel, will simply melt away
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Let' s see maybe the one that had the person largely responsible for her own success and the architect of the classic lineup of Fleetwood Mac's sound
Without Stevie, Lindsey would have been lost, likely just a guy who used to play bass in a long forgotten band from San Francisco in the late ‘60s and brother of an Olympic swimmer or just another folky guitarist who sang like Kenny Loggins. Stevie brought harmony, stage presence, muse, and most importantly drive. Together, they had sex appeal, chemistry, and tension. She’s the one who pushed the move to Los Angeles and she’s the one who pushed to join Fleetwood Mac, by far their two biggest career moves and ones he wasn’t instinctively predisposed to make.

As far as being the architect of the classic Fleetwood Mac sound, that’s always been one of the most overblown claims ever. Lindsey didn’t have the musical vocabulary to make a legendary album without Mick, John, and Christine. All of the Brian Wilson studio gimmickry in the world would have been for not without the muscle behind the songs that the Brits brought (OOTC). He eventually realized that.

Sure, the white Fleetwood Mac album sounds noticeably better that its predecessors. Then again, they took three months to make it (compared to a week for Bare Trees) and recorded it in a big Los Angeles studio. However, it also sounds noticeably better than Buckingham Nicks. That said, it‘s not especially remarkable, just typical ‘70s. “Miracles” by Jefferson Starship was also recorded in February, 1975, for comparison, and “Black Water” by the Doobie Bros. was released in 1974. Fleetwood Mac didn’t exactly break new ground on that album.

Now, if we’re talking about Rumours, his production certainly made that album a timeless, compelling masterpiece. But, I can say that was even more true of Tusk, which wasn’t nearly as successful. The success of that album went far beyond the actual music. If we’re being honest, Lindsey’s biggest contribution to the massive *success* of Rumours was getting dumped by Stevie Nicks.

Quote:
I have been a fan since the 1970s and should be able to express my disappointment .in someone that I once idolized destroying the band that she once vowed that she would never break up.
I’ve been a fan since 1987. I guess my first decade of fandom made me see this band for the freak show it was. What soap opera ever ended without one last plot twist?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-29-2020 at 11:34 PM..
Old 12-30-2020, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Without Stevie, I doubt that Lindsey would’ve been “lost.” Lindsey was already in Fritz when he met Stevie. He was the one pursuing his musical aspirations already. Stevie, who was one year older, thought of herself as a poet and songstress, but she hadn’t done anything with those talents yet.

Fleetwood Mac was not the first time that Lindsey said that it’s a package deal. Even in Fritz he was the one who stood out to people in the industry. Sure, the fans may have been attracted to Stevie early on, even then. She said they all wanted to know who that mousy-haired girl was. But the music executives were not asking about her. He was the one who they wanted to give a recording contract. He dragged his girlfriend along then, too. Stevie is not the reason that they got the opportunity to do BN.

Plus, he may have been on the floor smoking hash, but he was also networking with other musical dopes smoking hash. Lindsey had friends. The money his aunt left him helped him buy nice sound equipment that kept people around him. He may never have become a star without Stevie pushing for that, but he could easily have become a player in a popular band. He would never have been Tom Petty, but he could certainly have been a Heartbreaker. Lindsey could easily have earned a handsome living as a superior guitarist and maybe have even written a couple of hits, if not GYOW.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Without Stevie, I doubt that Lindsey would’ve been “lost.” Lindsey was already in Fritz when he met Stevie. He was the one pursuing his musical aspirations already. Stevie, who was one year older, thought of herself as a poet and songstress, but she hadn’t done anything with those talents yet.

Fleetwood Mac was not the first time that Lindsey said that it’s a package deal. Even in Fritz he was the one who stood out to people in the industry. Sure, the fans may have been attracted to Stevie early on, even then. She said they all wanted to know who that mousy-haired girl was. But the music executives were not asking about her. He was the one who they wanted to give a recording contract. He dragged his girlfriend along then, too. Stevie is not the reason that they got the opportunity to do BN.

Plus, he may have been on the floor smoking hash, but he was also networking with other musical dopes smoking hash. Lindsey had friends. The money his aunt left him helped him buy nice sound equipment that kept people around him. He may never have become a star without Stevie pushing for that, but he could easily have become a player in a popular band. He would never have been Tom Petty, but he could certainly have been a Heartbreaker. Lindsey could easily have earned a handsome living as a superior guitarist and maybe have even written a couple of hits, if not GYOW.
Not according to Keith Olsen. He was asked to check out Fritz and encouraged Lindsey and Stevie to leave Fritz and form a duo, and he told Mick that Lindsey came as part of a duo, to which Mick asked him to convince them to join.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ds_Keith_Olsen

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-30-2020, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If we’re being honest, Lindsey’s biggest contribution to the massive *success* of Rumours was getting dumped by Stevie Nicks.
What was Stevie's biggest contribution to the success of Rumours? Mick said in Play On that Stevie is not a musician, she's a vocalist.

Stevie's biggest contribution to Rumours was dumping Lindsey then because her songs were also about her/him.

Other than Stevie's high notes, what's memorable about the song "Dreams" is the guitar work. Most drummers could have come up with the introduction and beat throughout that song. Stevie contributed the clunking on the piano and the lyrics. It's their only US #1 but the only sound Stevie made for it was what she air plays with her fingers when Dreams is played live.

Gold Dust is all Lindsey with the multi guitars and Mick does very well after the Go Home note.

John is a delicious bassist for everything but the guitars stands out; that's Lindsey's sound.

The band kept Lindsey from 75-87. They didn't choose Billy and Rick Vito to do The Dance in 97 or to make an album in 2002.

They didn't perform songs from Behind the Mask in 2018 but they did Second Hand News, Monday Morning, Go Your Own Way and two Lindsey co-writes. What does that say about Billy and Rick?
Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
What was Stevie's biggest contribution to the success of Rumours? Mick said in Play On that Stevie is not a musician, she's a vocalist.

Stevie's biggest contribution to Rumours was dumping Lindsey then because her songs were also about her/him.

Other than Stevie's high notes, what's memorable about the song "Dreams" is the guitar work. Most drummers could have come up with the introduction and beat throughout that song. Stevie contributed the clunking on the piano and the lyrics. It's their only US #1 but the only sound Stevie made for it was what she air plays with her fingers when Dreams is played live.

Gold Dust is all Lindsey with the multi guitars and Mick does very well after the Go Home note.

John is a delicious bassist for everything but the guitars stands out; that's Lindsey's sound.

The band kept Lindsey from 75-87. They didn't choose Billy and Rick Vito to do The Dance in 97 or to make an album in 2002.

They didn't perform songs from Behind the Mask in 2018 but they did Second Hand News, Monday Morning, Go Your Own Way and two Lindsey co-writes. What does that say about Billy and Rick?
I think Christine gets really under-rated here. (Not to take a thing away from what Lindsey contributes)
Her keyboards on Dreams with the warm rhythmic pumping gives the song movement and a wonderful backdrop. I hear a high string part in there also that adds to the harmonies. Plus, her voices goes in and out of the forefront on the blend.

Same for the song, Gold Dust Woman. Listen to Christine's contributions to this song.

With Stevie:
It's as if I run into the room and say look everyone, I sketched some trees and mountains.
And Fleetwood Mac says, "ok, it's nice. But let's put a river here, some birds, add colours, a background, and some contrast! Also, let us edit it down to make it a picture."

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-30-2020 at 11:51 AM..