Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Forgotten Fleetwood Mac

In response to a a conversation in the Analyzing Album Covers: Mirage, what songs/albums are most forgotten by the general public and Fleetwood Mac fans, there are plenty of songs from Mirage, the album itself is pretty unknown with the exception of songs like "Gypsy" or "Hold Me" that were big radio hits. A whole lotta albums before SN and LB joined.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Warm Ways and Empire State?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgoback View Post
In response to a a conversation in the Analyzing Album Covers: Mirage, what songs/albums are most forgotten by the general public and Fleetwood Mac fans, there are plenty of songs from Mirage, the album itself is pretty unknown with the exception of songs like "Gypsy" or "Hold Me" that were big radio hits. A whole lotta albums before SN and LB joined.
Yes, but what i think Michele was getting at is that some songs seem to be forgotten even here, where we discuss everything to death. Mirage had 3 singles, and two big hits, but even songs like "Eyes of the World" and "Straight Back" are mentioned on the Ledge with some regularity; the song that inspired this thread, "Book of Love," for whatever reason, is not.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Warm Ways
Never Make Me Cry
Honey Hi
Never Forget
That's Enough for Me
Book of Love
Only Over You
Mystified
When I See You Again
Everybody Finds Out
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Warm Ways
Never Make Me Cry
Honey Hi
Never Forget
That's Enough for Me
Book of Love
Only Over You
Mystified
When I See You Again
Everybody Finds Out
A pretty good list, but you definitely have to take WISYA out. Haters (and a handful of defenders) love to discuss that one.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
A pretty good list, but you definitely have to take WISYA out. Haters (and a handful of defenders) love to discuss that one.
Haha good point. There were a few other ones I almost included, but then I remembered that they will never be forgotten because they are too terrible to fade away (Family Man, Welcome to the Room Sara, Empire State...).
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come A Little Bit Closer
The Derelict
Never Make Me Cry
That's Alright
Wish You Were Here
Illume
Warm Ways
Honey Hi

I know that Fleetwood Mac fanatics and Ledgies have discussed this song to death, BUT, to the general population, "BEAUTIFUL CHILD" is one of the greatest unknown/forgotten songs by the band. YES, YES, I know it was pulled out and dusted off for the SYW TOUR and the LIVE IN BOSTON dvd, but, I don't hear it mentioned or covered very much. It is simply one of the most melancholic and regretful songs ever recorded.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Only over you, Wish you were here (yes, plenty of Mirage).

Many of us would be more than happy to see Tango in the Night included in the setlist. It could be a perfect replacement of I'm so afraid (love it, too, but it needs a break).
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Yes, but what i think Michele was getting at is that some songs seem to be forgotten even here, where we discuss everything to death. Mirage had 3 singles, and two big hits, but even songs like "Eyes of the World" and "Straight Back" are mentioned on the Ledge with some regularity; the song that inspired this thread, "Book of Love," for whatever reason, is not.
Right, casual fans may not know "Straight Back," but it's quite a favorite here. We are always talking about the duet with Christine, the country sound, etc.

And we also talk about songs we hate rather frequently (WTTRS, Family Man, Sugar Daddy, etc.)

Michele
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Only over you, Wish you were here (yes, plenty of Mirage).

Many of us would be more than happy to see Tango in the Night included in the setlist. It could be a perfect replacement of I'm so afraid (love it, too, but it needs a break).
Yes, I was going to say Wish you were here

which (I've always thought) had a strange similarity to the opening chords of SS (dance version)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Haha good point. There were a few other ones I almost included, but then I remembered that they will never be forgotten because they are too terrible to fade away (Family Man, Welcome to the Room Sara, Empire State...).
Ha Ha, love this quote...."TOO TERRIBLE TO FADE AWAY".......The "What Were They Thinking List" includes:

The Second Time
Save Me
Paper Doll
Freedom
Stand on the Rock
Hard Feelings
Welcome to the Room, Sara (Frontline Baby)

AND (drumroll please).....may I PLEASE INCLUDE one Stevie Nicks solo song in this list?.....LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....the all time worst song EVER RECORDED by anyone associated with Fleetwood Mac is............"Jane" by Stevie Nicks......(children of the world, the forgotten chimpanzee)

Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
Yes, I was going to say Wish you were here

which (I've always thought) had a strange similarity to the opening chords of SS (dance version)
Sequences,
you are RIGHT !!! The opening chords to "Wish You Were Here" sound exactly like the opening to the LIVE VERSION of "Silver Springs" on THE DANCE cd. I've thought about this for years.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see too many Stevie songs making this list because even among her non-hits, there is nearly universal love (SOTM), nearly universal hate (Silver Girl), or some polarizing effect that leads to a lot of debate. For better or worse, you really don't ignore a Stevie song.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And we also talk about songs we hate rather frequently (WTTRS, Family Man, Sugar Daddy, etc.)

e
hmm, I had to figure out WTTRS was lol. Officially there are no songs of FM I actually hate, but there are ones I could live without(or just skip/tune out)

I happen to like all songs you mentioned, but I love me some Sugar Daddy!

Songs I could do w/o:
  • (Warm Ways actually grew on me in recent years)
  • SMAP, WATL, TAFE or anything strumming/folksy from LB 79-80 period.-I guess this is my equivelent to SN self-indulgent WISYA and TST that almost EVERYONE hates
  • Straight Back (Garbo, Sleeping Angel, or Blue Lamp would have been a better pick)
  • Only Over You
  • Mystified
  • The Second Time
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
hmm, I had to figure out WTTRS was lol. Officially there are no songs of FM I actually hate, but there are ones I could live without(or just skip/tune out)

I happen to like all songs you mentioned, but I love me some Sugar Daddy!

Songs I could do w/o:
  • (Warm Ways actually grew on me in recent years)
  • SMAP, WATL, TAFE or anything strumming/folksy from LB 79-80 period.-I guess this is my equivelent to SN self-indulgent WISYA and TST that almost EVERYONE hates
  • Straight Back (Garbo, Sleeping Angel, or Blue Lamp would have been a better pick)
  • Only Over You
  • Mystified
  • The Second Time
I forgot about The Second Time!! LOL. It's one of those songs where the lyrics make more sense on paper than they do sung in the song--- seems like the line breaks in the vocal break up the lyrics in places where it doesn't make as much sense to me.

Does anyone have any insights into who it might be about? Who was Stevie having a second time around with? A man? Or the band...?