Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A random question about two Say You Will tracks

Okay, so I've been a Mac fan since the late '90s and I bought Say You Will only after I saw them perform the tracks live in '04. So I've been reading up online that there are Center Channel Mixes, whatever those are, and special single mixes of Say You Will & Peacekeeper. Can anybody enlighten me on what exactly these are and what makes them different, or actually post them to download for me since I can't seem to find them anywhere else??
Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
Okay, so I've been a Mac fan since the late '90s and I bought Say You Will only after I saw them perform the tracks live in '04. So I've been reading up online that there are Center Channel Mixes, whatever those are, and special single mixes of Say You Will & Peacekeeper. Can anybody enlighten me on what exactly these are and what makes them different, or actually post them to download for me since I can't seem to find them anywhere else??
The center channel mixes aren't really officially generated mixes -- they're home "mixes" manipulated by eliminating certain speaker signals in the 5.1 edition of the album.

I don't know anything about single mixes for "Say You Will." But traditionally single mixes aren't very different from album mixes -- a little more guitar here or backup vocal there. Typically, these are mixes intended to maximize the sonic effects of hearing the single play on the radio in your car, which, in the olden days, was of lower quality than your sound system at home.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

I do know that there was a slight lyric change with the Peacekeeper single version. I can't remember what it was exactly, but I know the line "take no prisoners, only kill" was changed to a more accessible line (i guess it was a little too dark for radio). Does anyone remember what it was changed to??

Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Does anyone remember what it was changed to??
Break their will. That, to me, is not exactly non-violent and less controversial. You usually break someone's will through torture.

Michele
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I don't know anything about single mixes for "Say You Will."
There was a considerably different single/radio mix for "Say You Will". I lost it when my computer died earlier this month. Anyone else have it and would be nice enough to share?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Break their will. That, to me, is not exactly non-violent and less controversial. You usually break someone's will through torture.

Michele
Which is exactly what Lindsey was refering too I think when he made the change and when he originally wrote the song. I think he was referring to the Bush administration and war in Iraq and knowing what soldiers and others would have to do in a war that he was trying to get at.

War isn't pretty (as I'd like to think we all know by now) and I think Lindsey was trying to reflect that and also how we as humans are the only species who specifically create things in order to destroy. What other species does that? "Only creatures who are on their way/ever poison their own wells" talks about us creating things meant to destroy.

I personally feel this song is supposed to shake us up and is meant to be (at least somewhat) controversial. Good for Lindsey!!!

There was a kind of theme in some of Lindsey's material for SYW. What's The World Coming Too, Murrow Turning Over In His Grave, Peacekeeper, all sounded like protest type songs to me. Each one has connections to different ideas and themes about politics, celebrity, war, peace, torture, law enforcement. The songs are fantastic and really get you to think beyond the standard pop music that is meant only to melt your brain into mush.

Way to go Lindsey!! Keep it up!!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The center channel mixes aren't really officially generated mixes -- they're home "mixes" manipulated by eliminating certain speaker signals in the 5.1 edition of the album.
Basically, they highlight certain aspects of a mix. You might just hear the background vocals and the guitar or maybe a main vocal without background, or stuff like that. I recall on Miranda Stevie's vocals pop out very prominently in parts. They're not like listening to good remixes but are a very interesting curiosity.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
There was a considerably different single/radio mix for "Say You Will". I lost it when my computer died earlier this month. Anyone else have it and would be nice enough to share?
This is very good. I have this but will need to search through all my mp3's to find it and as it's after 3 am now I need sleep. But I had to mention that I like this version much better. I remember hearing it and thinking how cool it was that they added a new guitar part to the beginning but then realized it's actually a little bit of the solo at the instrumental bridge, just taken out of context. I think it gives the beginning a lot more energy.

And in the original version, am I the only one who thinks the guitar sound in the solo sounds just like the guitar in Book Of Miracles?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
There was a kind of theme in some of Lindsey's material for SYW. What's The World Coming Too, Murrow Turning Over In His Grave, Peacekeeper, all sounded like protest type songs to me. Each one has connections to different ideas and themes about politics, celebrity, war, peace, torture, law enforcement. The songs are fantastic and really get you to think beyond the standard pop music that is meant only to melt your brain into mush.
Peacekeeper was first written/recorded in early 2001 and had nothing to do with 9/11 or the war on terror/in Iraq. The record label chose it as the first single because the war in Iraq had just started at the time. The original solo version (what was to be the lead single on Summer '01's "Gift of Screws") is awesome

WTWCT is about Lindsey's dealings with WBR over his solo album. Its not a coincidence that this is the first track on SYW.

Murrow doesn't get nearly as much love on these boards as it should. It is to This Is The Time as Led Zeppelin/Kashmir is to Warrant/Cherry Pie.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Ledgie

Default Say Goodbye.

This is a bit off topic, but is "Say Goodbye" about Stevie?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahnNicks View Post
This is a bit off topic, but is "Say Goodbye" about Stevie?
"was written not long after I took leave of the band in the late eighties, to get my own head together, and it just needed to wait, to find its time.
Its about coming to terms with the fact that there can be little gain without some loss and little redemption without forgiveness."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OC7Gcg_9os

Even If
I Never
Hold You..
Again..
Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it true that What's The World Coming To is almost a cover, with a little bit of Lindsey thrown in? I thought I remembered reading that awhile back.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of covers, someone was stealing from somebody. Does the hook sound familiar?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

omg thats hilarious....such a syw ripoff!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 View Post
Speaking of covers, someone was stealing from somebody. Does the hook sound familiar?
Wow! The verse in this is exactly the same chord progression & timing as the verse in "Say You Will":

Subdominant (4 beats) --> Dominant (2 beats) --> Root (2 beats) -->
Subdominant (4 beats) --> Dominant (2 beats) --> Root (2 beats) etc.

At least Fleetwood Mac wrote a new chorus. Whew.

moviekinks.blogspot.com