Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I guess that whoever wants to rack up more debt on his credit card will pay for Fleetwood tickets.

What I should have learned, long before I did, is that "health" in an economy constitutes both good news & bad news, depending on the vantage point of the analysis. For example, if retail is doing well, personal (or household) debt is inevitably rising. If retail is doing poorly, personal (or household) saving or retirement saving is probably increasing (except for the unemployed, who are trying to make sure they have enough for next week's allotment of mac & cheese).

An economy like this? It's either The Mac ... or mac & cheese.

The better Fleetwood Mac does for its proposed tour, the worse all you fans are doing with saving emergency cash or contributing to your retirement funds.

But don't these entertainment/media conglomerates rely -- as much as any other industry does -- on banks & loans? The economists say that credit is flowing only slightly freer today than it was three months ago.

I have a question (which probably won't get an answer) for all you Mac fans d'un certain age -- say, 35 or older -- who plan to buy tickets to the show. Are you on track with your retirement (401k, IRA, etc.) account saving?
Yes, although I've taken about a 50% loss on most of my assets... I'm trying not to look at it. The new company that I work for matches 50 cents for my every dollary up to 6%. I take full advantage and invest in index funds. Shares are cheap right now, so the dollar cost averaging will work to my advantage for buying in now while the values are so cheap. Oh... and no I won't waste my disposable income on FMac tickets... I don't like the product as it is right now... it bores me.. However if the voices were still solid and they didn't have that ridiculous back up band... I might consider it. But truly I'm glad the addiction for me has worn off because I can think of so many other places to invest 200-500 bucks for a couple good seats.

"This whole re-convening was an organic process of Stevie Mick John and I needing organic cash. Isn't that weird?!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-25-2008 at 07:50 PM..
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Blech!!!!!!!

Quote:
An economy like this? It's either The Mac ... or mac & cheese.

I have a question (which probably won't get an answer) for all you Mac fans d'un certain age -- say, 35 or older -- who plan to buy tickets to the show. Are you on track with your retirement (401k, IRA, etc.) account saving?

Sorry, If eating Mac & Cheese equates to seeing the 'Cheesy Mac' revue, then count me out. I could afford the $125 ticket back in July 2003 for OKC (Though I never paid more than $70 to see Cheesy Mac in Dallas 2003/2004) before the economy and 'personal life market' crashed, but at this time I don't see myself shelling out to see ANY concert...No longer a priority in my "entertainment in life" category (Cd's - yes/Concerts - no)

As for the savings issue, within the next few weeks I will have a decent 'small nest egg' (After the last of the accident coverages are paid to me due to Debbie's death - and I have paid all her bills minus the funeral, which will come off the top of the last check I am awaiting. And 'survivor guilt', to which I am feeling, makes one feel wiser in regards to finances they received due to a death in their family)

Minus a newer used vehicle I bought (To replace my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) the rest of THAT money will not be touched until I find a suitable home to purchase in the $40,000-$60,000 range, which is very affordable here in Oklahoma.

Thank God I got off the credit card 'merry-go-round' years before this market crunch occurred, I own ZERO credit cards and plan to have ZERO in the future

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 12-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Rather commit suicide than eat Mac & Cheese
Old 12-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let me emphasize that I wasn't taking a moralizing position. There was nothing hortatory in my brief essay. I was merely making a prediction: That this year's circumstances will prevent more people than usual from seeing the band play.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let me emphasize that I wasn't taking a moralizing position. There was nothing hortatory in my brief essay. I was merely making a prediction: That this year's circumstances will prevent more people than usual from seeing the band play.
Dave I had no problem with what you said. I simply wanted to answer your question honestly.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Huh? Well, I was on track for my retirement, but I think I'll pull money out of my IRA to see the Mac. If I can somehow get the money back (maybe I will win the lottery) and replace it or roll it over within 60 days, I won't face a penalty. So . . . It's a risk, but I'm ready to take it for Dreams. Retirement will take care of itself.

Michele
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
How would you define failure in Fleetwood Mac's case?
One or more of the dates announced thus far being considered for cancellation, and an internal re-evaluation of how just ambitious future '09 tour plans should be... or, in other words, what they're surely doing in the FM camp right now. I imagine that the rest of the dates of the tour (yet to be announced) will be scaled back. The eventual plan ('10-'11) is to package it as a farewell tour, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "Unleashed" (pre-album) touring period is shorter than previously planned.

Worst case scenario, of course, is FM tanking so bad they literally put promoters out of business (which happened TWICE on the SYW tour, with the canceled Memphis date, and the North Dakota play that BOMBED)
Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Long gone are the days when I would not think twice about shelling out over $100 to see a concert or to fly out to Vegas to catch a Caesar's show just for the heck of it... and I have a feeling I am not alone in this sentiment.
You're not. I passed on fantastic Madonna tickets about a month and a half ago because I could not justify the price. I've never seen her live and five years ago I would not have batted an eye at the price. The times they are a changin'.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
One or more of the dates announced thus far being considered for cancellation, and an internal re-evaluation of how just ambitious future '09 tour plans should be... or, in other words, what they're surely doing in the FM camp right now. I imagine that the rest of the dates of the tour (yet to be announced) will be scaled back. The eventual plan ('10-'11) is to package it as a farewell tour, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "Unleashed" (pre-album) touring period is shorter than previously planned.

Worst case scenario, of course, is FM tanking so bad they literally put promoters out of business (which happened TWICE on the SYW tour, with the canceled Memphis date, and the North Dakota play that BOMBED)
The Say You Will Tour Rocked and They Toured for almost 2 years on that tour I love the cd as well and went to about 4 shows on that tour and my seats were great at all the shows front row for a few shows it thought the say you will tour was awesome they were having a blast. So I do beg to differ that the Say You Will tour was a successful tour i wouldnt call pretty much most of the shows sold out and for almost 2 years touring on there last cd a bomb
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandbackStevie View Post
The Say You Will Tour Rocked and They Toured for almost 2 years on that tour I love the cd as well and went to about 4 shows on that tour and my seats were great at all the shows front row for a few shows it thought the say you will tour was awesome they were having a blast. So I do beg to differ that the Say You Will tour was a successful tour i wouldnt call pretty much most of the shows sold out and for almost 2 years touring on there last cd a bomb
About 80% of the first leg of '03 dates (all the major markets) were profitable for all, about 30% of the second leg/'03 (some repeats/lots of secondaries) were, and barely 15% (largely Clear Channel sheds and a few indies) of the '04 dates were.

And yes, I would call the the dates that put two separate promoting agencies in two separate parts of the country out of business (almost singlehandedly) "bombs".
Old 12-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can you please reveal the dates that are being considered for cancellation?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Can you please reveal the dates that are being considered for cancellation?
It's only speculation at this point, but its very apparent that Rochester & Albany are selling very poorly. Rosemont isn't in danger of cancellation, but its far from doing gangbusters- especially since its a major Mac market, and also because they were pretty much counting on adding a second show.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't how a show sells only apparent either by reading a sales report or by looking at the inside of the venue on the day of the show?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Registered

Quote:
Isn't how a show sells only apparent either by reading a sales report or by looking at the inside of the venue on the day of the show?
If prime tickets are available (in various sections) this long after the on-sale, that's a pretty good indicator on its own. 70-75% of tickets for most shows are sold in the pre-sales/first 24 hours of the on-sale.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The best I could get in Rochester was back floor. Are those prime seats?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Registered

Quote:
The best I could get in Rochester was back floor. Are those prime seats?
Did you try searching for lower level (not floor) tickets, or just Best Available? I ask because I pulled a pair in Sec 106 repeatedly for over a week after it went on sale by doing so.