The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Are you serious?!? People weren't buy "Rumours" for "The Chain." They were buy it for "Dreams," "Don't Stop," "Go Your Own Way," and "You Make Loving Fun." Maybe for "Gold Dust Woman" and "Second Hand News," too. But certainly not for "The Chain." As I said, it's a fan favorite at best. As a fan, I'll admit it's one of my favorites, but it's not even in the same ball park as GYOW.

And, the same could be said for "Sara." Again, people weren't buying "Tusk" for "Storms." Frankly, "Storms" is one of the dullest Mac songs ever, IMO. It does absolutely nothing for me. And, they've never, to my knowledge, ever done this song live. "Sara" is a classic. "Storms" isn't.
Sara is a classic, doesn't make it the best.
And I disagree about The Chain. But even if it were true, it doesn't make GYOW better than the Chain. And I think it OWNS the ballpark, and GYOW is the pitcher. Important, but nothing without the team. hehehehehe. Bad analogy. The Chain is like the shortstop, it runs the whole field, and makes spectacular double plays.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain
Sara

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you serious?!? People weren't buy "Rumours" for "The Chain." They were buy it for "Dreams," "Don't Stop," "Go Your Own Way," and "You Make Loving Fun." Maybe for "Gold Dust Woman" and "Second Hand News," too. But certainly not for "The Chain." As I said, it's a fan favorite at best. As a fan, I'll admit it's one of my favorites, but it's not even in the same ball park as GYOW.

And, the same could be said for "Sara." Again, people weren't buying "Tusk" for "Storms." Frankly, "Storms" is one of the dullest Mac songs ever, IMO. It does absolutely nothing for me. And, they've never, to my knowledge, ever done this song live. "Sara" is a classic. "Storms" isn't.
Storms musically may be a tad dull but the lyrics are haunting.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Sara is a classic, doesn't make it the best.
And I disagree about The Chain. But even if it were true, it doesn't make GYOW better than the Chain. And I think it OWNS the ballpark, and GYOW is the pitcher. Important, but nothing without the team. hehehehehe. Bad analogy. The Chain is like the shortstop, it runs the whole field, and makes spectacular double plays.
I don't give two squirts of duck **** what anyone says, Sara isn't that good of a song. It goes nowhere, the lyrics drive me a bit bonkers at times, and I always skip it. It just boring and blah.

I love The Chain but I don't think it touches GYOW. GYOW is one of their masterpieces, The Chain is one of their good album tracks. Just my opinion.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Go Your Own Way (C'mon, "The Chain" is a great song, but GYOW is perhaps their most enduring hits ever. It's the only Mac song that is typically listed on those "greatest rock songs ever" lists magazines periodically release. GYOW is the caliber of song that got them into the Hall of Fame. "The Chain," at best, is a fan favorite, but that's about it.)

Sara (Easy call on this one. "Storms" is a nice, mellow song that really goes nowhere. "Sara" just has a lot of sonic and lyrical intrigue. I personally love how this song has so many peaks and valleys. And, Mick's drumming is absolutely breath-taking.)
The Chain at least in my area gets more airplay then GYOW and is usually rated higher in our anual top 500 songs. I think it's quite the draw for people buying rumours and is MUCH more then a fan favorite. although I will agree GYOW IS their biggest song, but really it means noithing here. And Storms is just 100 times better then Sara, except for maybe the cleaning lady version which is SO much better then the regular version.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I don't give two squirts of duck **** what anyone says, Sara isn't that good of a song. It goes nowhere, the lyrics drive me a bit bonkers at times, and I always skip it. It just boring and blah.

I love The Chain but I don't think it touches GYOW. GYOW is one of their masterpieces, The Chain is one of their good album tracks. Just my opinion.
Whoa, sesly, about Chain?! Gaw, I think it's just the most. The intervals, with every instrument being highlighted, the fact that everyone's harmonic voice is in play... the drama of it. And I love SPACE in a song, and the Chain makes great use of space.
DGMW, I think GYOW is spectacular, but it doesn't include everyone, much. I remember being fascinated by the sounds of the chain, when i first got involved. I love how it's so...VARIED. but, I can say most of the same things about GYOW - only most, b/c I just think it's not as varied. And doesn't have as many harmonies. ok.
About Sara, of course, I agree. Though I think it's fairly pretty, it's just not dynamic enough for me. Storms isn't very dynamic, instrumentally, either, but the words and phrasing are very deep and great. very deep. hee.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Chain

Sara
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:34 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Go Your Own Way
Storms

(These are strategic votes ) (Found back my morals)
Old 04-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Go Your Own Way
Storms

feeling guilty huh?

Old 04-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Chain
Sara

My two favourites anyway!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
I love "Go Your Own Way," but this is a competition for the best FLEETWOOD MAC song. I feel that "GYOW" cannot compete with "The Chain" in that context. "The Chain" is harrowing, anguish and pain and anger personified in 4-odd minutes of music. The imagery and depth of "The Chain" is wonderful, in all its darkness. "The Chain" is also instrumentally fantastic, containing contributions from all members of the band; their respective instruments (Stevie's voice counting as one) weave together creating haunting results. "The Chain" is a group effort, written by five members and performed by five members, while "GYOW" is more of a Lindsey effort though it is excellent as well.

Storms" is one of Fleetwood Mac's finest moments and truly one of the best songs I have ever heard. However, when up against "Sara," I have to choose "Sara." The song represents everything I associate with Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac: breathtaking harmonies; that amazing rhythm section at work; sterling instrumental playing; amazing and detailed production; personal and introspective songwriting; expressive vocals. One could argue that "Storms" nails all of those criterion, and they would be very right. "Sara" has a more cohesive group sound, more layers and textures, and more sonic depth than "Storms" does as a song (in my opinion, of course). Both are heartbreaking, stunningly beautiful tracks. "Sara" just has these expanses, these vistas of sound and emotion that all add up to perfection. While "Storms" is also perfection, I find "Sara" to be so epic and Fleetwood-Mac sounding that it cannot be beat.
Impressive weighing of the qualities! But as you say yourself: when you look at purity and straight-from the guts-criteria (which are my priorities) the other two songs win!

Or in other terms: Chain and Sara are more like movies. GYOW and Storms are built up on canvas.

Last edited by shackin'up; 04-06-2005 at 03:37 AM..
Old 04-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo
The Chain
Sara

My two favourites anyway!
JOE! my man! How is it possible that we disagree here!!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain
Storms

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Go Your Own Way
Storms

Welcome back.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain

Storms

What a ****ty outcome for this tournement.