Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?I...subCategoryID=

Buckingham teams with Little Big Town for Country Music Television’s ‘Crossroads’

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Internal romances and breakups, backbiting, drug-fueled excesses — Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham could write the book on what tears bands apart.

With that, he has some sage advice for the country quartet Little Big Town: keep communication open.

“We never really had peace and closure,” Buckingham said of Fleetwood Mac, whose internal drama was a constant backdrop to their music in the 1970s and ’80s. “It was all about deferring and walling up our emotions and living in various states of denial.”

Buckingham, who spoke by phone recently from his Los Angeles home, joins Little Big Town for an episode of Country Music Television’s popular “Crossroads” show, which airs 9 p.m. EST Saturday.

The show teams country acts with artists from other genres, from Elton John and Ryan Adams to John Mayer and Brad Paisley.

This pairing was more obvious than most. Little Big Town drew immediate comparisons to Fleetwood Mac when they broke onto the country charts with “Boondocks” and “Bring It On Home.”

With a mix of men and women, lush harmonies and a 1970s pop sensibility, the similarities are striking. Like Fleetwood Mac, the quartet — Kimberly Roads, Karen Fairchild, Phillip Sweet and Jimi Westbrook — also co-write their songs and trade off on lead vocals.

Sweet, 32, said that although they have many influences, the Fleetwood Mac imprint is undeniable.

“It would be hard to have grown up in the era that we did and not be influenced by Fleetwood Mac,” he said. “They were such a powerful force musically. They had a unique sound, a unique brand so to speak. I loved to hear Christine sing and then Stevie sing and then Lindsey sing.”

Sweet is referring, of course, to Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks and Buckingham — the group’s principal writers and singers.

They had a long run of rock and pop hits like “Rhiannon,” “Go Your Own Way” and “Little Lies” before the classic lineup unraveled in the late ’80s.

Over the years, they’ve reformed in various reincarnations to record and tour. Buckingham, a gifted guitarist as well as songwriter and producer, released his fourth solo disc, “Under the Skin,” in October.

Meanwhile, Little Big Town have had their own ups and downs. They were dropped by Mercury and Sony before finally landing on the independent label Equity Music Group. Along the way, Westbrook’s father died, Sweet and Fairchild went through divorces, Roads’ husband died of a heart attack, and Westbrook and Fairchild were married.

“We never said ‘I don’t think this is going to work — let’s quit,”’ Roads said. “It seems that when one was down the other three would carry them along.

“Lindsey said that that is one of the things he noticed about our band,” she said. “We get along and admire and love each other.”

Buckingham, 57, spent a few days hanging out with the group in Nashville before taping the special in October.

When CMT first contacted him with the idea, he was hesitant. “My initial attitude was ’How do I fit into this? Does it really work on an integrity level?”’

Then he listened to their music and heard the parallels.

“It was not some unholy alliance in terms of being such a stretch,” Buckingham said. “And the funny thing was, once I got there I had a ball.”
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham teamed up with the country group Little Big Town for "CMT Crossroads," the veteran guitar player/singer tells us, he was able to use his own experience of dating bandmate Stevie Nicks to give advice to the younger band. "Obviously I can relate to a situation where there are two women and two men. With Little Big Town, half of it is a couple," he points out. "One of the things that was probably difficult in Fleetwood Mac is that you had these two couples who were breaking up. It's not what Little Big Town is doing, obviously," adds Buckingham. "We were kind of forced to push through. Stevie and I never really got the closure we needed. I don't think John and Christine McVie got the closure they needed, so we were working in a semi-dysfunctional situation for years," he explains. "All I said to Little Big Town was, 'You've got the potential to be friends and to have the camaraderie that in many ways Fleetwood Mac never really had the chance to enjoy.' Maybe we're starting to get to that point now because we've done albums and tours and will continue to do that."

Besides connecting on a personal level, Buckingham says he was happy with his and the group's performance together, which airs tomorrow (12/2) on CMT. "The good news and the bad news about 'Crossroads' is that there is no one format. You've had things that were very comfortable like Steve Earle and Rosanne Cash, and then, to me, things that were not comfortable like Ray Charles and Travis Tritt. So it was like where are we going to fall with this? But I was very pleased with how we meshed together."

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72610189.shtml
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Well...

this show has started.

"Bones" followed by "The Chain" (Thank God I have 2 TV's, I can watch/record this show on one and watch the Nebraska/Boo-hoo Sooners game on the other)
Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Damn! Is it after 8 already? LOL I'm going to the living room and cranking the surround sound!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Hmmm...

well at least LB isnt repeating the same ol' same ol' things while talking to the members of LBT.

"That was from 30 years of being pissed off"-LB, about the acoustic version of "Big Love"

Is anyone else watching this???

Last edited by estranged4life; 12-02-2006 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm watching! Very good so far...I liked what the brunette girl said about LB: It's like God chose you and said, "YOU....shall play guitar."
Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Now they're playing "Boondocks"...What was the name of the song they played earlier? It was obviously one of LTB's songs because I wasnt familiar with it.

I will say that this show has been very good thus far.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now LB is playing "Not Too Late"

He's playing with only 5 strings?? Interesting...

Last edited by estranged4life; 12-02-2006 at 09:43 PM..
Old 12-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that song is "Bring it Home," or "Bring it Home To Me," something like that. Cool song!

They ALL look absolutely tickled and having a blast together!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now playing "Good as Gone", Not a bad song actually.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
well at least LB isnt repeating the same ol' same ol' things while talking to the members of LBT.
Well, up until he just talked about GYOW. I cracked up when the red-headed dude asked LB, "Did you get in trouble for GYOW?" And then he looked at the other band members like, "I can't believe I just asked him that!"
Old 12-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now it's time for "Go Your Own Way"
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Now LB is playing "Not Too Late"

He's playing with only 5 strings?? Interesting...
i noticed that!

i loved the show. they were all fab together.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Would someone be a doll and record this to a DVD for me? Please.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
Would someone be a doll and record this to a DVD for me? Please.
as soon as I purchase some more DVD-R's

Btw, on the show with Craig Ferguson, LB also played a 5 string guitar