Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Garden Review 1979

Fleetwood Mac: Madison Square Garden, NYC
Richard Grabel

NME, December 1, 1979

YOU ENTER the stream of bodies pouring through the portholes of Madison Square Garden. You get caught up in the tide. Into the awesome space – the impersonality of the place is scary.

Why am I here? Their blockbuster records each contain a few songs I admire for the ingenuity of their construction, but most of them just go in one ear and out the other. Yet Fleetwood Mac are a phenomenon as much as they are a group; perhaps more an economic phenomenon than a musical one though.

So I wanted to know: how do these hit-makers face up to the crucial point when performer meets audience? Not that there is likely to be much of a confrontation here. When a group reach Mac's status, their audience isn't sifting out there waiting to judge. They come to adore, to receive the blessings of a magic presence.

The physical scale of the event reinforces the impression of a ritual removed from the constraints of communication. That stage is so big, so distant, the human figures are so small they could be toys, puppets on strings. But the space gives them certain grandeur as well, since they command it with amplification and volume.

We can hardly see them, but we know they are there. They must be Gods.

To their credit, Fleetwood Mac don't play up to this arena-deification syndrome. There is a minimum of pretension in their stagecraft: no light shows or flashy sets, and they don't come on haughty or imperious. At times, there is genuine warmth and grace in their show (particularly when Christine McVie is singing); and at other times there's a real urgency and power straining to come through.

But they are trapped up there as surely as we in our seats are trapped down here. That's a pity.

They look like woody, seedy California communards, except for Lindsey Buckingham who seems like a rich hippie whose parents had just made him get a haircut. But they sound good, confident players kicking into their material with conviction. Often, they sounded like a rock and roll band (surprise) as opposed to a pop machine, the harder edges driven in by Buckingham's rhythm-guitar and Mick Fleetwood's powerful, propulsive drumming.

The mixture of styles they present smacks heavily of an attempt to provide something for everyone. But this is probably the natural result of the three different personalities alternating as band leaders, and, much more so than on record, Fleetwood Mac in concert seem like three different bands.

Behind Stevie Nicks, they are mellow, temperate, cruising on automatic, unprodded and unchallenged. Nicks is supposed, I know, to be an enigmatic, mystical child, and all that baloney, but this translates into a haughty reserve that makes her seem either stiff or scared.

There is little natural ease in her manner. She projects no warmth, only an artless self that seems to leave her unaware of the vast audience watching her pout into her private mirror.

Rumours that Nicks is losing her voice seem partly true. In comparison to her earlier recordings she has lost some of her high range. That little girl sweetness isn't there. This is most obvious on 'Landslide', a sensitive poetic number she sings with Buckingham accompanying on acoustic guitar.

I also expected more kinetic energy from Nicks. She should fly, or at least move a bit when singing lines from 'Rhiannon' about being "taken by the sky." But everything about her delivery is strictly pedestrian.

Christine McVie's voice is delicious. Live, it sounds better than on record, richer, charged with commitment and more soul.

As a performer, she is sedate, hiding behind her keyboards as if playing a supporting role, even when singing lead. But she has an air of sincerity about her that makes her odes to love won and lost at least seem hearfelt and genuine. Her 'Say You Love Me' is a perfect opener for the concert, breezy, rocking, a good opportunity for the band to display a full, confident sound.

As a songwriter, though, McVie doesn't always hit that high mark. Many of her numbers allow the Fleetwood rhythm section to coast along and the band to present a sound that is just a finely tuned version of West Coast mellow rock.

It was down to Lindsey Buckingham to move the band into anything approaching strenuous action.

His first song of the set is 'Not That Funny' which seems off-hand and lightweight on Tusk but here is a brash and forceful romp. On 'What Makes You Think You're The One' Buckingham really comes out. He emphasises the quirky, stop-start rhythms of the song, and moves like a cross between Elvis Costello and David Byrne; not a trace of El Lay laid-backness in sight.

With his well-tanned and innocent face, Buckingham looks odd carrying on like a wired-up new waver, but never mind. He's funny, a treat to watch, and he makes the band earn its supper keeping up with him.

'Go Your Own Way' is a heady mix of perfect harmonies and if Fleetwood Mac were always this good, I'd listen to them all night. But the best moment was 'Tusk'.

Tapes simulated the special effects of the record, while Mick Fleetwood churns out a powerhouse beat, rock and roll jungle drums. The song is an off-beat setting within which Buckingham can go nuts, spewing chord clusters and random vocal shrieks like freak time at the zoo.

I'd never thought Buckingham would be a guitarist to watch, but he is. He's accomplished but not too flash, and knows how to cut loose. Only on 'I'm So Afraid' does he fall into a plodding, heavy metal-type mush.

There are other lapses: 'World Turning' seems to sit still; other songs (as on their albums) just pass by, proficiently executed but undistinguished.

What purpose is served depends on what purpose brings you here. If you are a fan, you'll probably be pleased. Recreations of the songs you know and love are delivered with skill and fidelity, with an occasional extra push of energy derived from the live setting. The show's not a cheat.

But there is little intimacy or contact, and aside from Buckingham's surprising commitment to rocking out, there are cracks in the established images these people have painted in the media mind, no new insights into who they are or why they do what they do.

If you are looking for something challenging, like to see a band thinking on its feet, or are seeking great moments in the creation of pop/rock music, spend your money elsewhere.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Behind Stevie Nicks, they are mellow, temperate, cruising on automatic, unprodded and unchallenged. Nicks is supposed, I know, to be an enigmatic, mystical child, and all that baloney, but this translates into a haughty reserve that makes her seem either stiff or scared.

There is little natural ease in her manner. She projects no warmth, only an artless self that seems to leave her unaware of the vast audience watching her pout into her private mirror.

Rumours that Nicks is losing her voice seem partly true. In comparison to her earlier recordings she has lost some of her high range. That little girl sweetness isn't there. This is most obvious on 'Landslide', a sensitive poetic number she sings with Buckingham accompanying on acoustic guitar.

I also expected more kinetic energy from Nicks. She should fly, or at least move a bit when singing lines from 'Rhiannon' about being "taken by the sky." But everything about her delivery is strictly pedestrian.
Thanks for sharing these articles! It's really amazing how the exact same things are being discussed today in regards to Stevie - the limitations of her voice and her lack of movement onstage in particular. And this was from their heyday!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone seen Richard Grabel these days?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed reading that review. Sadly, that was typical of most the reviews of the Tusk tour. Stevie was far from a critic's darling. And rightfully so.

Was she was always so lethargic? Did she phone it in on the Rumours tour? But from Tusk onward, her stage presence was cold, removed and unanimated. And her vocals were never consistant, usually under-performing.

Like most of the public, the critics were taking by surprise by this. Given that she was the most colorful, intriguing member of the band --visually, musically and dramatically -- everyone expected her performances to be engaging, warm and vibrant. Yet she was the opposite in every way.

And, she has been plagued by those inconsistent tendancies ever since. To her credit, she's gotten much better about it over the years, but it's still there.

You think, with all the coke she was doing, it would have helped to perk up her persona!! Yet her energy was in qualude mode. Stevie was and still is a very eccentric, odd bird.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-17-2011 at 12:15 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Was she was always so lethargic? Did she phone it in on the Rumours tour? But from Tusk onward, her stage presence was cold, removed and unanimated.
I saw Stevie on the Tusk tour & I saw her on the Say You Will tour, & I would never liken the two. Nor do I understand it when others do liken the two.

Quote:
You think, with all the coke she was doing, it would have helped to perk up her persona!! Yet her energy was in qualude mode.
Did you see her on the Wild Heart tour?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Did you see her on the Wild Heart tour?
Yeah, she was totally out of her mind during that. The US Festival is still my favorite Wild Heart era performance.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
They look like woody, seedy California communards, except for Lindsey Buckingham who seems like a rich hippie whose parents had just made him get a haircut.
Belly laugh.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac: Wembley Arena, London
Sandy Robertson
Sounds, June 28, 1980

CROWDS, HOWEVER passive, make me unhappy. As Eli Wallach said on TV (The Magnificent Seven) last Sunday afternoon, "If God didn't want them to be sheared, he wouldn't have made them sheep."

Thankfully, though, the proliferation of old hippies and nice young couples in Wembley had little to complain about, since (despite the high ticket prices) Fleetwood Mac trimmed their fleece in the nicest possible way. The longhairs were probably a legacy from the Peter Green/blues era of the group who just woke up after a particularly powerful spliff, but the young lovers are definitely the core of the F. Mac audience.

Since they were doing a string of dates in London's worst empty swimming pool, I checked out Friday's show for about 45 minutes but gave up when the ache in my rear coincided nicely with Lindsey Buckingham dedicating a simpering ballad to birthday boy Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, whose brother Dennis is the paramour of Mac-ette Christine McVie (who once slept on Hugh Fielder's floor). On Sunday night I watched the whole carnival and can't say I was disappointed, maybe just a little surprised that an institution as aged as this could look so enthusiastic while going about its work. Other mild shocks were in the offing, too.

The general assumption of the all-too-hip is that Mac Mk 148 crystallises the world-weary ennui that reaps plenty post-teen coin, a notion of platinum doze-out reinforced by the band's gay divorcee image which fuelled the Rumours album. BUT: guitarist Buckingham leapt around like a crippled Action Man with appendicitis while wrenching out piercing screams from his instrument, this admirable racket interlocking with John McVie's bass lines which grumbled and growled in a manner that'd do Talking Heads no harm at all. If it wasn't for the interminable but demented jamming on the whip-and-thud of 'Not That Funny' they might almost be up for the title of Fleetwood Clash.

Of course, that image don't gel nohow with Christine McVie's waif-like vocals and slithering keyboards, or with the image of the girl with (I was bemused to discover) the leastest, frontperson Stevie Nicks (of 'Sit On My Face...' banning fame).

Though her spunky voice contributes heftily to funked-up epics like 'Break The Chain', most of the time she does little more than prance around the stage like Southern California's answer to Kate Bush, dressed in early Seventies stack-heeled footwear of indescribable ugliness, banging a tambourine and waving an increasingly ridiculous array of hippy-trippy dresses in the air.

She occasionally crouches with her head between her legs as if throwing up, as during the dreamy anthem 'Rhiannon', which pose reminds one of what people usually mean when they ask if you're into Fleetwood Mac these days. She also slips offstage to, er, powder her nose rather a lot.

People do get high on a girl wearing Julie Christie 'Far From The Madding Crowd' riding gear while conducting their adulation, I suppose, and even when her voice cracks after two months on the road it does have a kind of gauche charm.

Often emulated (see Heart) but never quite duplicated, they rendered 'Tusk' as a real "intense" but hypnotic mess, roared gently to a halt with 'Go Your Own Way' and encored with Nick's ethereal 'Sister Of The Moon' and Christine McVie's quiet 'Songbird'. I was suckered in completely by that point.

I'm only sorry they didn't do 'Train In Vain'.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The review states: She occasionally crouches with her head between her legs as if throwing up, as during the dreamy anthem 'Rhiannon', which pose reminds one of what people usually mean when they ask if you're into Fleetwood Mac these days. She also slips offstage to, er, powder her nose rather a lot.

ROTFL
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It was down to Lindsey Buckingham to move the band into anything approaching strenuous action.

With his well-tanned and innocent face, Buckingham looks odd carrying on like a wired-up new waver, but never mind. He's funny, a treat to watch, and he makes the band earn its supper keeping up with him.

I'd never thought Buckingham would be a guitarist to watch, but he is. He's accomplished but not too flash, and knows how to cut loose. Only on 'I'm So Afraid' does he fall into a plodding, heavy metal-type mush.
This is pretty much the impression I got when I saw FM live for the first time. LB was the man to me. At times I forgot there were other people in the band, as Stevie pretty much didn't move at all.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac: Madison Square Garden, NYC
Richard Grabel

NME, December 1, 1979
Nicks is supposed, I know, to be an enigmatic, mystical child, and all that baloney, but this translates into a haughty reserve that makes her seem either stiff or scared.

Christine McVie's voice is delicious. Live, it sounds better than on record, richer, charged with commitment and more soul.
If this critic is still alive, I would like to buy him a beer.