User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
You know that Free Falling wasn't written by Mike... it was a Tom solo song!
You're right. I didn't even think about that. While I like Tom Petty, I've never been more than a casual fan.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You're right. I didn't even think about that. While I like Tom Petty, I've never been more than a casual fan.
Full Moon Fever album with Jeff Lynne.

For me, if the current FM had made new songs and played them in the tour set, I would've endorsed the 3 covers(Neil and Tom hit songs) they did because you actually made a name for yourself in the new band you join by making new songs with them; Rick and Billy are titans for doing BTM.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For me, if the current FM had made new songs and played them in the tour set, I would've endorsed the 3 covers(Neil and Tom hit songs) they did because you actually made a name for yourself in the new band you join by making new songs with them; Rick and Billy are titans for doing BTM.
I know. I only own that one, and a greatest hits. Like I said, casual fan, first time caller.

It's embarrassing what they became in the end.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know that Free Falling wasn't written by Mike... it was a Tom solo song!
However, Mike played guitar on it and was a coproducer.

Furthermore, Mike played and produced Stevie’s cover. The fact that Stevie recorded it as a solo artist puts that one in a slightly different category. It’s no different than when they did Chicken Shack’s cover of “I’d Rather Go Blind” after Christine joined. Actually, since Mike played on the original and on Stevie’s cover, it might even be slightly more appropriate.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-12-2022, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree with this bit. And, of course, that was the baloney Mick and the band spewed when the two joined, right? That this WAS the new incarnation of FM and they WOULD be making new music together (after the tour presumably given that it was already booked).

Look, they didn't want the two guys to feel or worse to look like they were just hired hands (even though we know they were). I don't think you could get most already-famous people to play if you don't throw them at least some crumbs of acknowledging their own past works. Then again, maybe Vince Gill just sings Eagles material and that's it. But jeebus, the last thing I'd want FM to ever become is the Eagles.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
the last thing I'd want FM to ever become is the Eagles.
well........... that's where they were going, no?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2022, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
However, Mike played guitar on it and was a coproducer.

Furthermore, Mike played and produced Stevie’s cover. The fact that Stevie recorded it as a solo artist puts that one in a slightly different category. It’s no different than when they did Chicken Shack’s cover of “I’d Rather Go Blind” after Christine joined. Actually, since Mike played on the original and on Stevie’s cover, it might even be slightly more appropriate.
Singing Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, I Will Run to You, or Insider with Neil would've been the most appropriate.
Stevie's 90s cover of Free Falling doesn't sound like the version FM did on tour.

Wasn't Chris also singing new Fleetwood Mac songs in addition to singing I'd Rather Go Blind in the set?
Old 02-12-2022, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with this bit. And, of course, that was the baloney Mick and the band spewed when the two joined, right? That this WAS the new incarnation of FM and they WOULD be making new music together (after the tour presumably given that it was already booked).
Mick said they were absolutely a new band. I don't get how you're a new band if you don't have new songs in your setlist.
They had from Winter of 2018 until October of 2018 to come up with new songs that could've been played in the set. It would've been awesome.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wasn't Chris also singing new Fleetwood Mac songs in addition to singing I'd Rather Go Blind in the set?
Not that it’s relevant, since she hadn’t released any of her songs with Fleetwood Mac by that point, but they did play a very early version of “Spare Me A Little” that was pretty far removed from the Bare Trees version.

However, the logic is pretty much the same. How were “Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby” and “I’d Rather Go Blind” relevant to a Fleetwood Mac setlist in 1970?

People can come up with whatever rule or justification that suits their particular narrative, but the fact remains that “Get Like You Used To Be,” “I’d Rather Go Blind,” “Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby,” “Frozen Love,” “Don’t Let Me Down, Again,” “Stand Back,” “Tear It Up,” “Only You Know & I Know,” “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” “The Bigger the Love,” and “Go Insane” weren’t Fleetwood Mac songs. They were songs from another part of the performer’s career (solo, previous band) that the band played during Fleetwood Mac shows.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-13-2022, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not that it’s relevant, since she hadn’t released any of her songs with Fleetwood Mac by that point, but they did play a very early version of “Spare Me A Little” that was pretty far removed from the Bare Trees version.

However, the logic is pretty much the same. How were “Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby” and “I’d Rather Go Blind” relevant to a Fleetwood Mac setlist in 1970?

People can come up with whatever rule or justification that suits their particular narrative, but the fact remains that “Get Like You Used To Be,” “I’d Rather Go Blind,” “Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby,” “Frozen Love,” “Don’t Let Me Down, Again,” “Stand Back,” “Tear It Up,” “Only You Know & I Know,” “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” “The Bigger the Love,” and “Go Insane” weren’t Fleetwood Mac songs. They were songs from another part of the performer’s career (solo, previous band) that the band played during Fleetwood Mac shows.
On this score, I agree with you. “I’d Rather Go Blind” and “Get Like You Used to Be” feel like logical, even inevitable insertions to us die-hard fans, though we are seeing this with the benefit of hindsight. I wasn’t at a Fleetwood Mac show from 1970-1976, so my connection to these songs comes after years of hearing them on bootlegs and in their original forms. But fans of the Then Play On lineup may have asked themselves in 1970 what the heck was going on. Aural evidence from various bootlegs from 1970-74 shows those outside songs went down well, as did “Don’t Let Me Down Again” in 1975. Indeed, they became important staples. Similarly, many in the audiences who attended the most recent Fleetwood Mac tour seemed to enjoy “Free Falling” and “DDIO”—even if we who see the Rumours band as the legitimate lineup cringe at these embarrassing attempts to ignite some excitement in a lineup we regard as pretty sorry sans Lindsey.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Then again, maybe Vince Gill just sings Eagles material and that's it. But jeebus, the last thing I'd want FM to ever become is the Eagles.
Vince does one(at least on the last tour I saw) of his songs. "Next Big Thing"(at least I think that's the title) was what he did when I saw them.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Aural evidence from various bootlegs from 1970-74 shows those outside songs went down well, as did “Don’t Let Me Down Again” in 1975. Indeed, they became important staples. Similarly, many in the audiences who attended the most recent Fleetwood Mac tour seemed to enjoy “Free Falling” and “DDIO”—even if we who see the Rumours band as the legitimate lineup cringe at these embarrassing attempts to ignite some excitement in a lineup we regard as pretty sorry sans Lindsey.
Don’t Dream It’s Over was beautifully done and I loved the way it started off with Neil first, and then Stevie came on stage to join him. Free Falling, when I heard Stevie was singing it I was annoyed, but seeing it live was very moving and I changed my mind. It made me start to realize they may have limited themselves when they didn’t record other people’s songs. Blue Letter, Seven Wonders, and the Farmer’s Daughter are three of my favorite FM songs.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It is relevant. The band was playing new songs at the time.
Tear it Up was done while Billy and Rick were doing new FM songs. Traffic songs were done while new songs from Time were played.
Neil and Tom hits were played in an FM set with no new music, and no FM songs that Neil or Mike played on the recorded versions of.
And Mick made it a point to say in the CBS interview that these men don't have calling cards and sure enough, they performed the highest-charting songs by Neil and Tom in the set.

People can come up with whatever rule or justification that suits their particular narrative, but the fact remains that Free Falling was first recorded and released by Tom Petty and Crash Into Me was first recorded and released by Dave Matthews Band, so they're not Stevie Nicks songs.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 02-13-2022 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-13-2022, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Don’t Dream It’s Over was beautifully done and I loved the way it started off with Neil first, and then Stevie came on stage to join him.
It was a nice performance. I wondered why Taku and Ricky played on the song rather than Mick and Christine.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was a nice performance. I wondered why Taku and Ricky played on the song rather than Mick and Christine.
Most likely because they're 100 years old. To give them enough time to drink an Ensure and get their Depends changed.