Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "How Stevie Nicks fell for New Zealand" MSN article with pics

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainm...ob-tw-ennz-635
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Hanging out with Gemma and Richie McCaw after his team won the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Rock legend Stevie Nicks is in New Zealand and she couldn’t be happier. She loves this country for all the usual reasons – beautiful scenery, friendly people – but also, Stevie, who’s never been into sports, has become a huge fan of the All Blacks.

She fell for the rugby legends when she was here for the Fleetwood Mac Reunion tour in 2015, which coincided with the last Rugby World Cup.

“It was the haka that got me hooked into it,” she tells Woman’s Day.

“I watched the team doing it and it was the most magical thing I ever saw. So then, for the first time in my life, I stayed up till 4am and watched a sports game to the very end. I had no idea what was going on, but I was glued to it. All those cute guys!”

Stevie even met up back-stage with then-All Black captain Richie McCaw after performing at Auckland’s Mt Smart stadium.

“I got an All Blacks T-shirt,” she tells. “It was great.”

She’s not exactly looking forward to her landmark birthday in May next year and admits she gets tetchy at friends who want her to celebrate it.

“In my mind, I’m not old,” she asserts.

“If you put out a youthful vibe and don’t sound like an old lady, people fall for it. I always tell my young friends, you think you won’t care any more in your late 60s, but you will. So you need to take care of your hair and skin, and get a little exercise, otherwise you’ll just be an old granny.”

Stevie has always looked after her skin. Her secret is massaging in plenty of pricey creams, never going to bed with her make-up on and not lying in the sun. “I haven’t done that since I was 30 – not once.”

The iconic rock chick still has the same bohemian look.

“I wear beautiful clothes, even if I’m a little fat for them,” she tells.

“When you get older, your body wants to gain weight. I try to stay at around 66kg and be happy with that. But it’s not easy. I work on it all the time.”

Unfortunately, after injuring her knee, Stevie isn’t able to exercise as much as she’d like.

“I tripped over a dog bed, flew through the air and fell with all my weight on it,” she says ruefully.

“So I can’t dance as much onstage or run from one side to the other. That’s been a bummer. I’ve had to learn to go slower.”

Nowadays, she relies on ballet stretches to keep her limber. “If you’re famous, you can’t go to the gym,” she points out. “So for me, it’s all in the stretching.”

Stevie’s life today is a far cry from the wild rock and roll years, when she famously snorted so much cocaine that she developed a hole in her nose. But asked what she regrets, it’s not spending $1 million on drugs, but rather what came later.

After going through rehab, Stevie was urged to see a psychiatrist, who prescribed a drug called Klonopin to help her stay clean.

She tells, “My one regret is that I didn’t walk out of his office. I didn’t need the medication because I was never going back to cocaine. That was the one time inmy life I went against my instincts.”

Stevie ended up developing a severe addiction to the prescription drug, which left her feeling like a zombie.

“It took away eight years of my life,” she reveals.

“I might have got round to having a baby or made lots more albums. It took me a long time to come back from that. And I’m still angry at that psychiatrist. I’ve never got over it. If I saw him in the street, I’d run him over.”

Determined not to have more regrets, Stevie is now trying to find the time to fulfil her long-held dream of creating a mini-series based around the story of a Welsh mythological goddess called Rhiannon, who she turned into a hit song.

“I call it my quest,” she says.

“But since 1978, I’ve been so busy. Every time I make a start, I get a call to say there’s an offer to do shows. It’s probably a good thing I don’t have a husband and kids as balancing everything I want to do is almost impossible.”

Early next year, she’s spending a couple of months in Hawaii and, instead of resting, Stevie’s going to seize the chance to press on with her dream project. “There are so many things I need to do before I die.”

Last edited by ricohv; 11-20-2017 at 01:21 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“I might have got round to having a baby or made lots more albums"

Make albums now.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yes, part of me wants to say YOU took a LOT of years away from your own artistic productivity by being far more interested in partying than in producing. All the hangers-on in her entourage, all the goofing off in the studio rather than working on her songs, all the performing live and in the studio stoned out of her mind so we got less than stellar vocal performances....all that is on HER. All the songs not written, projects not done..... so much of that is on her and her prioritization. And what about learning to say no to the managers around her who push her to do schlocky sh&t? I loved Tom's thing about her needing to remember how good she is at what she does and not listening to all the moochers around her pushing her for hit singles and quick sell out stuff. Her own fault. Love her, but for all her strong woman talk, she's been talked into so much crap and talked out of so many cool things by the moochers around her it's really sad.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM

I cried when Stevie Nicks played ‘Landslide’
Stevie Nicks played at Auckland’s Spark Arena last night, with The Pretenders as special guests. Sam Brooks was there.

I saw Blondie and Cyndi Lauper early this year, and there’s something special about seeing these vanguards of music do a victory lap. All the things that made them unique, made them famous, made them successes are still there. They’ve still got boatloads of charisma, they’ve still the voices that make them stand out from the pack (not necessarily the most powerful or flawless voices in the business, but voices that become more familiar to you than some of your friends and family) and they’ve now got the back catalogue of songs that they could play for an entire day and you wouldn’t get bored.

These shows are special for that reason, but also because you get to buy into a community of people who love these artists. God knows where else I’m going to see that many middle-aged women (a valuable and necessary demographic, perhaps my favourite demographic) singing their wine-soaked hearts out. You get to be with thousands of other people who love that guitar riff in ‘Edge of Seventeen’ as much as you do, which is a lot, because it’s one of the best riffs in music.

I could talk about Chrissie Hynde being a complete and utter boss, rocking harder in her sixties than most people have in there entire life, and deservedly so, because she knows how to do it and she’s earned the right to do it. But also? She’s earned the right to chill out a bit, and the fact that she hasn’t is a glorious joy.

I could talk about what it feels like to hear an army of middle-aged woman sing ‘Brass in Pocket’. I could talk about Stevie Nicks being charming as hell. I could talk about the very strange AV for Stevie Nicks’ set that looked like screensavers (and honestly I wish people would stop doing AV unless it’s really necessary).

But instead I want to talk about Stevie Nicks, aged 68, singing ‘Landslide’.

I didn’t think she was going to do ‘Landslide’. I’d forgotten about it, and she hadn’t done a huge amount of Fleetwood Mac material until that point (although a previous highlight of the whole thing was a medley of ‘Gypsy’ and ‘Dreams’). ‘Landslide’ is one of those songs that you listen to each year and you understand it a little bit more. It’ll pop up on your shuffle and it’ll push lightly against your chest and go, “Yeah? Remember me? Remember these feelings? You’ve still got them.”

But then she did ‘Landslide’ live and I lost my ****. I was pretending not to cry, but failing at it. I did the quick wipes of your eyes. If I had sunglasses on me, I would’ve put them on to prevent people from seeing me cry, which is a tactic I learned in my insane tear-stained youth.

I don’t know what it is about ‘Landslide’. It shouldn’t work as well as it does as a song. It’s very simple, the imagery is not complex and not particularly unique. You can imagine it written down as a poem and being fairly unspectacular (Nicks talked a lot throughout the night about many of her songs being poems first, and ‘Landslide’ is one of those songs where you can absolutely see that). It’s a song that was ostensibly written for, and about her father, and the dimming relationship between them.

But then you actually hear Nicks’ voice, that coffee-and-cigarettes alto which had lived more life at twenty than you have at forty, sing it and the song becomes something special and unique. When she sings, “How can I make it through the seasons of my life?” you nod through the tears because how can you make it through the seasons of your life?

And last night? Seeing a woman in her late sixties, who has lived even more of a life, who has lived through many seasons of her life, sing the lyrics, “I’m getting older too” killed me. I’m not going to go into some crap about the power of music, we all know it’s powerful, we’ve all heard the song ‘My Humps’. We all know music has crept inside us in a terrifying and limited way.

But hearing her sing that song live, many decades into her career, made me believe in the longevity of a star. And Stevie Nicks, with her Belladonna cape and her completely inaudible tambourine shakes, is a star. When that star sings ‘Landslide’, you become a little bit more human, because she makes you feel more human.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/music/21-11...yed-landslide/
Old 11-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Review: Stevie Nicks calls Lorde 'exquisitely great' at Auckland show

Lorde has a new fan and it's one of the biggest stars in the world: Stevie Nicks.

The Gold Dust Woman dedicated Landslide - the final song of her more than two-hour set at Spark Arena on Tuesday night - to the Kiwi superstar.

"I think that little girl is one of the most exquisitely great artists that I have ever known," Nicks swooned.

"She's so very talented ... if she had lived in our age she probably would've been the third girl in Fleetwood Mac."

Nicks said she'd been hoping to run into Lorde while she was here but so far hadn't had any luck. "So if you see her, tell her I'm looking for her," she said.

What's funny about the dedication is when Lorde first started out, many of us compared her to Nicks, especially when it came to their stage presence and dancing style.

But earlier in the set, Nicks belted out Gold Dust Woman and danced so manically I was forced to write in my notes in all caps: "LORDE AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON STEVIE".

It's easy to see why Nicks is labelled the White Witch - she spent the massive set full of hits spinning, twirling and stomping, bathed in golden light.

The set was filled with hits and homages to the late Tom Petty, Prince and Malcolm Young, and Nicks interjected stories between all of them, explaining their origins and making the set a strange kind of musical history.

She told stories about how her solo career started, writing with Tom Petty, her old Toyota, that one time she "didn't exactly drug" Fleetwood Mac in a French castle, her "gothic trunk of lost songs", her obsession with Twilight and "stealing Prince's song - but not really".

She dished out life advice, swore accidentally and had to apologise for momentarily confusing us with Australia. The storytelling was all incredibly self-indulgent but I figure after more than 50 years in the industry, Nicks has earned that right.

Especially when she still belts out hits with ease and gusto bringing people to their feet with songs like Stand Back and Edge of Seventeen and bringing them to tears with Landslide.

It was the total opposite of what Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders offered earlier in the evening; a raucous, pedal-to-the-floor explosion of rock and roll.

Chain Gang got the crowd moving and afterward, Hynde said: "I made some mistakes, could you tell? Could you?" And then when someone said yes she dismissed them with a, "f*** off, no you didn't".

She dedicated a song to Stevie Nicks, told us the secret to her successful love life - "I'll take anyone that'll take me" - played the harmonica before throwing it across the stage and rounded off the set with Brass in Pocket.

If ever you needed an exercise in badassery, feminism and rock and roll, Stevie Nicks and Chrissie Hynde just schooled us all.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11946536
Old 11-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Review: The Pretenders' professionalism saves us from Stevie Nicks' indulgence

REVIEW: If you were a diehard, leather and lace-wearing Stevie Nicks fan, then this was your dream night: a brilliantly-sung set of Nicks solo tracks with almost as many long and detailed stories in between.

If you weren't, then it was a night of mostly songs you didn't know and many long and detailed stories in between.

The crowd, mostly over 45 and wearing the aforementioned leather and lace, were all seated promptly. It was a sea of Nicks lookalikes, with Trelise Cooper in attendance but almost unrecognisable among the many wild blonde perms.

It began on a high. Openers Chrissie Hynde with the Pretenders was thrilling to watch. At 66, Hynde is cooler and hotter than most of us have ever been.

Hynde is no ageing rocker. She appears to have been in a time warp which preserved her voice and rock star physique. Supported by a band young enough to be her children, apart from the craggy and brilliant Martin Chambers, who's been alongside Hynde for almost 40 years, she was outstanding.

Hits Don't Get me Wrong and Brass in Pocket were particular highlights, but overall the Pretenders could have held the whole night on their own. They were the highlight.

The crowd were on a huge high when the set ended and Hynde advised Nicks would be out in 30 mins. But in what must be a concert first she was almost 15 mins early; half the audience were still lining up for a chardonnay.

The high continued when Nicks arrived to an unprepared audience and began with a couple of songs not seemingly known to much of the audience. Then started what would be the first of many long stories from Nicks, re-telling conversations that took place before recording one of her major hits, Stop Dragging My Heart Around, with Tom Petty. There was a puzzling level of detail unrelated to the late Petty, but with Hynde returning to accompany her, all was briefly forgotten.

The energy was lost from there. Most of the songs, drawn from her 2014 solo album, were unknown to the crowd and her continuous storytelling of what unfortunately weren't particularly entertaining yarns put a dampener on it.

Partway through each tale the crowd would start calling out to Nicks, some light heckling, others the standard 'I love you Stevie', but it was the concert version of a Mexican wave, where a bored crowd are baying for action.

One story was about a song she wrote inspired by a Prince song - only for Nicks to play something entirely different. It felt as if it was almost inaudible above the sounds of thousands of people scratching their heads.

Some left early. One woman nearby motioned wrapping a noose around her neck as Nicks began another tale. I suspect it was what many were thinking.

After many successful decades, perhaps she'd earned the right to spend almost half the concert not actually singing - but it was indulgent and, quite frankly, tedious.

A couple nearby had flown up from Wellington, having enjoyed Fleetwood Mac so much they wanted more, as I suspect was the same for many others in attendance, but they were left frustrated and disappointed.

Nicks' voice couldn't be faulted, bar a few high notes that she shied away from in Dreams: like Hynde she seems unaffected by the ravages of time. You could have closed your eyes and thought you were listening to a recording of Nicks from 30 years ago.

Those that did stay to the end were rewarded with Rhiannon and a dedication to Lorde of Landslide. Landslide alone was worth the price of the ticket and sitting through the stories, there are few more beautiful songs and only Nicks can do it any justice.

The diehards left swooning & buying merchandise, the rest of us left a little exhausted from having our ears chewed and grateful for The Pretenders.

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...cks-indulgence
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Dynamic duo! Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks and The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde wow fans in Auckland on the first leg of their New Zealand tour

She is Fletwood Mac's iconic frontwoman who has enjoyed a long and storied music career.
And on Tuesday, following several dates in Australia, Stevie Nicks kept the Down Under love going when she took her 24 Karat Gold tour to Auckland's Spark Arena.
The Rhiannon singer was joined by The Pretenders - fronted by the equally irrepressible Chrissie Hynde - and the Kiwis seemed to lap up every note.
Icon: After a mammoth Australian run, Stevie Nicks kept the Down Under love going on when she took her 24 Karat Gold tour to Auckland's Spark Arena

Known for her bohemian style, Stevie did not disappoint in the first of her two New Zealand shows.
Clad in black, the Rumours star wore a layered and flowing black dress that reached the stage.
She augmented her outfit with simple black suede boots and a pair of similarly coloured fingerless gloves.

Wearing a subtle application of foundation, Stevie finished her look with a pair of silver earrings while her wavy blonde locks cascaded down her shoulders.
In keeping with her penchant for boho, Stevie added a pop of colour to proceedings by fixing an array of coloured fabric to her microphone stand.
With the backdrop adorned with whimsical moons, fairies and mushrooms, Stevie's stage looked more akin to a scene from a fairy tale than a rock and roll show.
The music legend also found time to pay tribute to the city, flashing a large vista on a screen behind her with the word Auckland emblazoned across it.

While Stevie's performance was subtle and subdued, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders channeled her inner rocker.
The 66-year-old looked fit and youthful as she seemingly held the crowd in the palm of her hand.
The Brass In Pocket star wore a multi-coloured sparkling jacket that she matched with a pair of form-fitting blue jeans.

Chrissie finished her outfit with a pair of black leather boots and a pair of gold hoop earrings.
She soon found things a little too hot however, and jettisoned her quirky jacket to reveal a figure-hugging black T-shirt with her band The Pretenders written large across the chest.
As soon as the jacket came off, Chrissie's inner rocker became even more apparent, commanding the stage with oodles of rock and roll swagger as she effortlessly strummed a sky-blue Fender Telecaster guitar.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz4zC2FggQh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
The energy was lost from there. Most of the songs, drawn from her 2014 solo album, were unknown to the crowd and her continuous storytelling of what unfortunately weren't particularly entertaining yarns put a dampener on it.

One story was about a song she wrote inspired by a Prince song - only for Nicks to play something entirely different. It felt as if it was almost inaudible above the sounds of thousands of people scratching their heads.

Some left early. One woman nearby motioned wrapping a noose around her neck as Nicks began another tale. I suspect it was what many were thinking.

After many successful decades, perhaps she'd earned the right to spend almost half the concert not actually singing - but it was indulgent and, quite frankly, tedious.

A couple nearby had flown up from Wellington, having enjoyed Fleetwood Mac so much they wanted more, as I suspect was the same for many others in attendance, but they were left frustrated and disappointed.

The diehards left swooning & buying merchandise, the rest of us left a little exhausted from having our ears chewed and grateful for The Pretenders.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...cks-indulgence
TRUTH! (and I AM a diehard fan )
Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Most of the songs, drawn from her 2014 solo album, were unknown to the crowd" Stuff.co.nz
Well, 3 of the songs were from 24KG.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's either getting senile, obstinate or just plain forgetful. People want to hear the hits Stevie, not 24K. Stevie knows better.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
She's either getting senile, obstinate or just plain forgetful. People want to hear the hits Stevie, not 24K. Stevie knows better.
Speak for yourself. She could go the rest of her career without singing a hit ever again and I'd be thrilled. I'd rather hear 24kg, Hell, I'd rather hear album cuts from Street Angel than Edge or Landslide live.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
Speak for yourself. She could go the rest of her career without singing a hit ever again and I'd be thrilled. I'd rather hear 24kg, Hell, I'd rather hear album cuts from Street Angel than Edge or Landslide live.
I don't disagree with you, but in general, people go to any concert to hear what they know, and that's typically the hits. We're not like the average fan and will go for the more esoteric songs, but this is not true for the " radio fan." I too get tired of GDW, LS, Edge etc., but that's all most regular fans know. FM, as a band knows this, and always plays their hits though.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She did the hits on this tour, interspersed with rarities. Not sure what more people would have expected besides less rambling talk between songs.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
I don't disagree with you, but in general, people go to any concert to hear what they know, and that's typically the hits. We're not like the average fan and will go for the more esoteric songs, but this is not true for the " radio fan." I too get tired of GDW, LS, Edge etc., but that's all most regular fans know. FM, as a band knows this, and always plays their hits though.
I read somewhere that Mick said Stevie's convinced FM to dig out the deep cuts too. I hope that's true.