User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t know/care who that is. Never heard of him. I only saw Hot Dog Mayer.
You never heard of Gary Louris? All joking aside, you should check him out. He's a mega-talent songwriter, guitarist, producer who is the main guy in The Jayhawks. The Jayhawks had two several albums that were collaborations between him and Mark Olson with Gary the rock guy and Mark the folk guy. Gary Louris is very similar to Lindsey. Mark left the band in the 90's and Gary became the leader of the band and they've gone on to release four great Fleetwood Mac-like albums in Rainy Day Music, Smile, Sounds of Lies, and Paging Mr. Proust. All four are highly, highly recommended. They have another new one coming out next month (Back Roads and Abandoned Motels). Start with Rainy Day Music which is a near-perfect album similar to Rumours and then go to Sound of Lies (which is their Tusk) and then the rest. Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
You never heard of Gary Louris? All joking aside, you should check him out. )
Just say dude from Jayhawks. “A Break In The Clouds” an “Save It For A Rainy Day” are good Americana songs, but his lyrics leave a little to be desired (like “We stood outside the Chinese restaurant in the rain” which wasn’t exactly relevant to the rest of the lyrics of an otherwise great song).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You never heard of Gary Louris? All joking aside, you should check him out. He's a mega-talent songwriter, guitarist, producer who is the main guy in The Jayhawks. The Jayhawks had two several albums that were collaborations between him and Mark Olson with Gary the rock guy and Mark the folk guy. Gary Louris is very similar to Lindsey. Mark left the band in the 90's and Gary became the leader of the band and they've gone on to release four great Fleetwood Mac-like albums in Rainy Day Music, Smile, Sounds of Lies, and Paging Mr. Proust. All four are highly, highly recommended. They have another new one coming out next month (Back Roads and Abandoned Motels). Start with Rainy Day Music which is a near-perfect album similar to Rumours and then go to Sound of Lies (which is their Tusk) and then the rest. Enjoy!
Love the Jayhawks I still think Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass are their best.I don't really get the Fleetwood Mac vibe all that much though. For sure Gram Parsons tho..maybe that is why I like them so much.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Love the Jayhawks I still think Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass are their best.I don't really get the Fleetwood Mac vibe all that much though. For sure Gram Parsons tho..maybe that is why I like them so much.
Too bad they couldn’t get Gram, although Sneaky Pete was on HAHTF. Burrito!!!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I adore Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass (two of my favorite albums of the 90's) and agree that those two albums are dissimilar to Fleetwood Mac. Those are much more in the Neil Young style. However, the albums that followed are my favorites where Gary Louris became the leader of the band. Those albums steer towards the Fleetwood Mac/Eagles sound. Rainy Day Music is a masterpiece as is Sounds of Lies. Rainy Day Music could easily have been a Fleetwood Mac album. And the recent album Paging Mr. Proust was fantastic (check out the song "Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces" which sounds like Gary wrote it for Christine). Gary is such a great songwriter and guitarist. Few can match a melody to a lyric like Gary. Reminds me of Lindsey in that he plays to the song and never tries to show off. I've seen Gary in soundchecks and he's a monster guitar player. Stevie and Christine would sound so good with Gary.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeff Tweedy: Loved his music, sounded great, but they couldn’t get past his Geico caveman look. So, he shaved. Didn’t help.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Robert Pollard: Accidentally kicked Stevie in the face with his legendary high kick. “Oh Well” brings out the rock in everyone.

(Bob would never entertain this, BTW.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I adore Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass (two of my favorite albums of the 90's) and agree that those two albums are dissimilar to Fleetwood Mac. Those are much more in the Neil Young style. However, the albums that followed are my favorites where Gary Louris became the leader of the band. Those albums steer towards the Fleetwood Mac/Eagles sound. Rainy Day Music is a masterpiece as is Sounds of Lies. Rainy Day Music could easily have been a Fleetwood Mac album. And the recent album Paging Mr. Proust was fantastic (check out the song "Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces" which sounds like Gary wrote it for Christine). Gary is such a great songwriter and guitarist. Few can match a melody to a lyric like Gary. Reminds me of Lindsey in that he plays to the song and never tries to show off. I've seen Gary in soundchecks and he's a monster guitar player. Stevie and Christine would sound so good with Gary.

I have those albums as well.Will have to give them another listen.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, YOU speculated that…Richard Thompson were considered for the Lindsey's replacement
I mean, I seriously wish. Why would a brilliant acoustic guitarist/blazing non-blues electric guitarist who made an album and toured with the woman he was divorcing ever somehow be relevant to Fleetwood Mac?

ETA: look at her. THAT’S what a breakup looks like.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-10-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Old 06-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks. Please kindly point me towards a Fleetwood Mac fan forum that isn't obsessively focused on the alternative reality of Lindsey being victimized by the evil forces of Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks.
People don't really use forums anymore, this is one of the exceptions (I don't know if there are even are any other FM forums) but I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with the discussion on various FM Facebook groups, Stevie Nicks Facebook groups, fanpages on Instagram and also twitter! The internet is a very big place filled with opinions, have fun!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
People don't really use forums anymore, this is one of the exceptions (I don't know if there are even are any other FM forums)
There is/was the one attached to the BuckinghamNicksInfo site but since the owner disappeared from the web it has understandably gone dormant.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
People don't really use forums anymore, this is one of the exceptions (I don't know if there are even are any other FM forums) but I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with the discussion on various FM Facebook groups, Stevie Nicks Facebook groups, fanpages on Instagram and also twitter! The internet is a very big place filled with opinions, have fun!
I agree that most forums have moved to Facebook but many still exist on their own. Neil Finn and all things Finn have a fantastic fan forum that's still fairly active. Would be ideal if this forum were a true Fleetwood Mac forum instead of a Lindsey Buckingham forum but life is imperfect.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
There is/was the one attached to the BuckinghamNicksInfo site but since the owner disappeared from the web it has understandably gone dormant.
That's too bad tbh. She was really helpful. That site has TONS of great links and resources.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's too bad tbh. She was really helpful. That site has TONS of great links and resources.
she's still on the web, just moved on from FM fandom. and yeah, she's incredible in collecting info, links, transcripts, downloads, etc.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that most forums have moved to Facebook but many still exist on their own. Neil Finn and all things Finn have a fantastic fan forum that's still fairly active. Would be ideal if this forum were a true Fleetwood Mac forum instead of a Lindsey Buckingham forum but life is imperfect.
Get a grip. I’m sorry but I’ve been posting or lurking here for almost 20 years and I’ve never felt it was a LB forum vs FM. If anything over the years it was far more a Stevie forum than anything else. Maybe too many of us are simply appalled at what has transpired in 2018. I own about ten LB solo songs altogether (if that) but I’m sure you’d accuse me of being a LB Super fan hiding in a FM band forum. You’d be wrong. I am here because of the band - the five “fireflies.”