User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
This.

Stylistically, aesthetically, both of these songs are ALL Lindsey. My hunch is that Feel About You was one of his tracks that she put lyrics to. Musically it really doesn't say "Christine" to me.

He often arranges his songs to be very light on bass and drums and be all kinds of pop confection when he's in his Brian Wilson mode. If you listen to the latest thing she did without him, her last solo album, it clearly connects with her bluesy roots.

I fear that part of his joy working with Christine is that she's not going to fight him, and he'll get his fantasy of a female partner who just lets him be the boss. I hopethat the stuff she brought in that she wrote before getting back under his spell is more of what we want from her.
I'm sure there will be some bluesy style stuff from her...
Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I fear that part of his joy working with Christine is that she's not going to fight him, and he'll get his fantasy of a female partner who just lets him be the boss. I hopethat the stuff she brought in that she wrote before getting back under his spell is more of what we want from her.
I seriously doubt she wouldn't voice her opinions! I think that's WHY he respects her, and they work so well together.

Unlike someone else, who just complains that she doesn't like what he's doing, but has no talent towards helping them meet a musical compromise.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 05-03-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This.

Stylistically, aesthetically, both of these songs are ALL Lindsey. My hunch is that Feel About You was one of his tracks that she put lyrics to. Musically it really doesn't say "Christine" to me.

He often arranges his songs to be very light on bass and drums and be all kinds of pop confection when he's in his Brian Wilson mode. If you listen to the latest thing she did without him, her last solo album, it clearly connects with her bluesy roots.

I knew something was wrong but I could not really put my finger on it.I think you're absolutely right that Feel About You is mostly a Lindsey song that she wrote some rather awkward and cheesy lyrics to .It does not sound like what has made Christine's best songs special .Even a breezy pop confection like Everywhere still feels like a Christine song to me in structure which elevates it to something more .I read a review of Tango back when it was new where the critic stated " No one has been able to unravel the elements of Christine McVie's obsession with the popular song. Consider her success consider how many must have tried"Feel About You is just not a Christine McVie pop song and there's your trouble.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 05-03-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old 05-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I seriously doubt she wouldn't voice her opinions! I think that's WHY he respects her, and they work so well together.

Unlike someone else, who just complains that she doesn't like what he's doing, but has no talent towards helping them meet a musical compromise.
I don't think she's become a total pushover, but I think you are maybe basing your assessment on Christine from years ago. Like Lindsey, who has mellowed quite a bit, so may have Christine. I can't put my finger on it, but I get the sense that she's just so happy to be back in the fold, so happy to be out in the world again after "getting into trouble" out in the wilds of Kent for so many years, that she's happy at 70 something to be able to collaborate and make music and be back in the joys of being part of a team that she may well be more willing to go with the flow than she may have been when she last recorded with them 20 years or more ago.

Let's face it, they've all come to terms with the fact that nothing they do is going to have the sales of Rumours or compete with Beyonce or Adele or Rihanna... so it would seem there'd be less tension and wrangling in the studio (except for Stevie who I think still really really wants to have those sales numbers again and it kills her). So Chris may be just having so much pleasure from working with those guys in the studio that rolls with it. I dunno. None of us do.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think she's become a total pushover, but I think you are maybe basing your assessment on Christine from years ago. Like Lindsey, who has mellowed quite a bit, so may have Christine. I can't put my finger on it, but I get the sense that she's just so happy to be back in the fold, so happy to be out in the world again after "getting into trouble" out in the wilds of Kent for so many years, that she's happy at 70 something to be able to collaborate and make music and be back in the joys of being part of a team that she may well be more willing to go with the flow than she may have been when she last recorded with them 20 years or more ago.

Let's face it, they've all come to terms with the fact that nothing they do is going to have the sales of Rumours or compete with Beyonce or Adele or Rihanna... so it would seem there'd be less tension and wrangling in the studio (except for Stevie who I think still really really wants to have those sales numbers again and it kills her). So Chris may be just having so much pleasure from working with those guys in the studio that rolls with it. I dunno. None of us do.
Right. But I see theirs as a true collaboration. Whereas with Stevie, "here are my words", and he takes control of it. I GET why she hates it. She should have been spending those years learning an instrument(NO, not what she does now ), and she'd hopefully have had more say in her song production.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[

I fear that part of his joy working with Christine is that she's not going to fight him, and he'll get his fantasy of a female partner who just lets him be the boss. I hopethat the stuff she brought in that she wrote before getting back under his spell is more of what we want from her.////

I could not disagree more. It sounds exactly like a Christine melody and song a la Everywhere.

I
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
[

I could not disagree more. It sounds exactly like a Christine melody and song a la Everywhere.

I
I am no apologist for Stevie as some of my past postings indicate but it is amazing to me how some folks on here are so disenchanted with her that they are willing to call a piece of s#*t a birthday cake

Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I am no apologist for Stevie as some of my past postings indicate but it is amazing to me how some folks on here are so disenchanted with her that they are willing to call a piece of s#*t a birthday cake
I don't have a horse in the I-hate-Stevie race but I absolutely adore Feel About You. I liked it just okay on first listen (much better than In My World, anyway), but repeated listens have REALLY made me fall in love with what at first felt like a pleasant but insignificant trifle. Keep listening to FAY and it'll finally "click": it's a lovely, perfectly crafted pop song with gorgeous harmonies. At first it seems too simplistic (I felt it needed a bridge), but once you know the song intimately, you realize that anything added to it would have been too much. Now I find that I just want to hear it again and again. Its lyrics aren't the point -- although they really aren't any worse than the lyrics to Everywhere or Little Lies.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I disagree w/ you... but I love this post.. .lol
Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

And that's exactly why Lindsey's input and guide is valuable. Because he took the time to actually learn something (or a lot) instead of improvising and filling the void with shawls and a tambourine.

The difference is there. Simple as that. You know how to do your job, then I respect you and value your opinion. You have no idea of what you're doing, then why should I listen to you?

But of course it was all Lindsey's fault. While he was learning, she had to work, because he wasn't and they had to eat. And that meant she had no time to learn anything. Poor me!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 05-03-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie herself said that Lindsey liked to work too much and never had any fun and she realized that her flaw, in his eyes, was that she liked to play too much. I remember that time when she said that he was trying to teach her a musical bar and she joked, "You mean that bar down the street?"

And she talked about the "do not disturb" sign that he put up on the studio window. She said she knew it was because he didn't want her coming in and twirling her baton.

Michele
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie herself said that Lindsey liked to work too much and never had any fun and she realized that her flaw, in his eyes, was that she liked to play too much. I remember that time when she said that he was trying to teach her a musical bar and she joked, "You mean that bar down the street?"

And she talked about the "do not disturb" sign that he put up on the studio window. She said she knew it was because he didn't want her coming in and twirling her baton.

Michele
That's a cute story. I think it's a bummer so many fans on this board pick a side and dislike one or the other.
I like them both.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
That's a cute story. I think it's a bummer so many fans on this board pick a side and dislike one or the other.
I like them both.
Turncoat!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Turncoat!!!
I meant the way people post disdain for them on a personal level.
Not talking about disliking songs.
I just don't understand hating Lindsay, or Stevie or Christine as people.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I meant the way people post disdain for them on a personal level.
Not talking about disliking songs.
I just don't understand hating Lindsay, or Stevie or Christine as people.
Here's the way I look at it... What's funnier than grown adults fighting about fleetwood mac members.... ?

C'mon.. it's a little funny..