User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default St. Louis review

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...ebc54bc23.html

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie go their own way in Fox concert
By Daniel Durchholz Special to the Post-Dispatch 1 hr ago (0)

It was only two-fifths of a full-on (Fleetwood) Mac attack, but Saturday night’s concert at the Fox Theatre proved it was a fine idea for Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie to go their own way.

The partnership was born a few years ago, Buckingham explained, when McVie returned to the Mac after a 15-year hiatus — “Are you rested?” he needled her — and started writing songs without knowing where the process would lead.

McVie sent the material from her home in England to Buckingham in California so he could work his producer’s magic on them and add his own songs. With the band being off-cycle, what eventually emerged was the duo’s recent self-titled album.

“One thing led to another, and here we are,” he said.

Saturday’s concert featured eight of the album’s 10 songs, but also leaned heavily on crowd-pleasing Fleetwood Mac classics and Buckingham solo numbers.

The pair — Buckingham still rail-thin and McVie eternally radiant — eased into the evening with just the two of them onstage playing acoustic versions of Buckingham’s “Trouble” and “Shut Us Down” plus the Mac’s “Wish You Were Here” and a take on “Never Going Back Again” that started gently and became increasingly manic.

iParty: Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie at Fox Theatre
Fleetwood Mac members Linsey Buckinham and Christine McVie performed at the Fox Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017. Photos by Jon Gitchoff

The focus shifted to songs from the new album, which, though they don’t particularly rival the pair’s best work with the Mac, came alive in concert as Buckingham and McVie shared lead vocals and enjoyed solid support from their four-piece band. “In My World,” with its swirling chorus, and “Too Far Gone,” sporting a fierce groove that recalled the Mac’s “World Turning,” were especially fine.

Though it (obviously) lacked the considerable presence of Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, the real treat of the concert was being able to hear indelible band classics such as “Hold Me,” “You Make Loving Fun” and an unhinged take on “Tusk” within the friendly confines of the Fox rather than a venue of the size required to host the Mac.

Buckingham unspooled a long, incendiary guitar solo on “I’m So Afraid” before the pair ended the set proper with a spirited “Go Your Own Way.”

The encore opened with the Mac’s “Everywhere” but then shifted back to the new material with “Lay Down for Free” and McVie’s ballad,” Game of Pretend” — a somewhat questionable choice. A few in the crowd called for her luminous “Songbird,” perhaps a more fitting denouement, but to no avail.

California quartet Wilderado opened the show with a satisfying set of atmospheric, harmony-laden rock that put them somewhere between the camps of, say, Fleet Foxes and Band of Horses. New songs from a forthcoming album and older numbers including “The Ocean and the Sea” and “Morning Light” earned an enthusiastic response from a crowd that gave the band a more than fair hearing.

“This is the quietest audience,” guitarist/vocalist Max Helmerich marveled. “Man, you guys are respectful!”

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie set list:
“Trouble”

“Wish You Were Here”

“Never Going Back Again”

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Stream TypeLIVE
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%0:00
Fullscreen
00:00
Unmute
“Shut Us Down”

“Sleeping Around the Corner”

“Feel About You”

“In My World”

“Too Far Gone”

Go! Sneak Peek from St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Go! Magazine's go-to guide for the weekend's best entertainment in and around the Lou, delivered weekly to your inbox.

Email
I understand that registration constitutes agreement to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
“Hold Me”

“Little Lies”

“Tusk”

“Love Is Here to Stay”

“Red Sun”

“You Make Loving Fun”

“I’m So Afraid”

“Go Your Own Way”

Encore:
“Everywhere”

“Lay Down for Free”

“Game of Pretend”

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fox Theatre St. Louis, MO Show

I know there is a thread with the newspaper reviews of this show already, but I thought I would make a new one about my show experience. Mods, if you would rather move or combine this with the other thread that is fine with me. I just wanted to post a little review of the night.

I want to start by saying that this was my first Buckingham McVie show. It was also my first time attending a show at the Fox Theatre. Very lovely venue by the way, absolutely gorgeous. Anyway back to BuckVie . The opening act Wilderado was good. Never heard them before, and it's not what I usually listen to, but I enjoyed it. The lead singer forgot Lindsey's name lol. He was talking about how this has been a great opportunity for them and said, "It's really an honor to be here opening for Christine and...." Some people in the crowd helped him out by yelling "LINDSEY"!

This theater was set up with the pit being the first 4 rows. My ticket was for Orchestra Row C, so basically 7th row, since the Orchestra was right behind the pit. When Chris and Linds came on stage a few people stood (including me), but most sat down quickly. I stayed standing for Trouble, but the people behind me kept pestering me to sit down. I complied and sat for the rest of the acoustic set. However, during Feel About You, I got back up because I love that song and was ready to dance! In the the pit there was a large open area off to the side where no chairs were located. I noticed some very eager, and possibly drunk, people making their way to that area to dance around. This area was right in front of the stage, a little off to the side of Lindsey. I didn't see any security around and figured I would have a better time if I went down there with the people who wanted to stand. I decided to take my chances as the worst that would happen is that security would send me back to my seat. Anyway, I went down there, and I am so glad I did! It's a good thing I went up front when I did because I heard security sending a few people back a few songs later.

Like I said earlier this was my first BuckVie show; it was also my first time ever seeing Christine and Lindsey live. I've never got to see Fleetwood Mac and only saw Stevie for the first time during the 24 Karat Gold Tour, so to be up front was an absolutely exhilarating experience. The energy at the front row is so much better. Everyone was dancing, singing, and having an amazing time. I looked back and even some of the people in the pit that weren't at the stage were sitting, especially through the new stuff. I was probably 6-10 feet away from Lindsey and watching him play that close was out of this world! From the angle I was at, I didn't have the best view of Christine because of a microphone. However, from what I can tell, she looked and sounded amazing. I'm so happy that I finally got to hear Hold Me live! It's always been one of my favorites, and I never thought I would get to hear it performed live. Other interesting things that happened included a lady about 6 people to the left of me right in front of Lindsey who kept shouting "Lindsey, you're so f***ing hot"! They actually started YMLF when they should have played Red Sun, and Lindsey told the lady "you're making me lose concentration"! It was pretty funny

Now on to the best part of my experience. I'm sorry this is turning out to be so long! I realized that I was front row and was hoping that Lindsey would come over to my section during GYOW. I was screaming and waving my arms quite a bit when he started walking towards where I was standing. He saw me and leaned down to let me and others strum his guitar! I cannot even fully describe the feeling I had in that moment, I thought I was going to stop breathing for a second! There is absolutely nothing like getting to experience something like that with one of your favorite artists. Just when I thought things couldn't get better, they did. When the band walked off stage after GYOW I yelled, "I love you Christine!" when she walked by, and she looked at me and blew me a kiss! Once again, I lost my composure. After the show, I caught a glimpse of Christine's car as I was walking back to the parking garage. A girl in front of me went up to the car with her Rumours record and Christine rolled down the window. She politely declined signing and told us to have a good night. Then, she waved at us before the car drove away. I think the girl was a little devastated, but Christine was probably tired, and I don't blame her for declining. I still think she is such a sweet person.

To make a long story short (too late) last night was one of the best nights of my life. Lindsey and Christine put on a phenomenal show, and I am so thankful for the experience I got to have. They made this 19 year old girl very happy!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:47 AM
Ledgie

No need to be sorry about how long your post is. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm glad that you had an awesome time! That's really funny how someone kept yelling how hot he is and it distracted him.

Does the beginning of YMLF during the Red Sun spot indicate that they're using less of the karaoke machine in your opinion?

That's pretty cool that you saw Christine in her car. Being turned down by Christine would still be pretty awesome because at least that person can say that they talked to her, even though the outcome wasn't all that great. I know that this doesn't sound good, but I'm a very shy person so I don't know if I would have even had the guts to run up to Lindsey or Christine like that.

Also, I'm glad to hear that you had the guts to just run up to the stage! I guess the trick is to do it early before everyone wants to do it?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
No need to be sorry about how long your post is. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm glad that you had an awesome time! That's really funny how someone kept yelling how hot he is and it distracted him.

Does the beginning of YMLF during the Red Sun spot indicate that they're using less of the karaoke machine in your opinion?

That's pretty cool that you saw Christine in her car. Being turned down by Christine would still be pretty awesome because at least that person can say that they talked to her, even though the outcome wasn't all that great. I know that this doesn't sound good, but I'm a very shy person so I don't know if I would have even had the guts to run up to Lindsey or Christine like that.

Also, I'm glad to hear that you had the guts to just run up to the stage! I guess the trick is to do it early before everyone wants to do it?
I personally didn't notice the karaoke tracks that much. I remember thinking before the show started how everyone on here said they were so distracting. I think I was having so much fun that I didn't notice. I think there might be added vocals for the harmonies, but they are definitely singing and playing most of it live themselves. They both sound great!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

OMG
You got to strum Lindsey's guitar and got a kiss from Christine. I am so jealous. Wow talk about a lucky night. Congratulations!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 AM

Nice review! Thanks for posting!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review! You've got me stoked for Louisville this Sunday!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
I know there is a thread with the newspaper reviews of this show already, but I thought I would make a new one about my show experience. Mods, if you would rather move or combine this with the other thread that is fine with me. I just wanted to post a little review of the night.

I want to start by saying that this was my first Buckingham McVie show. It was also my first time attending a show at the Fox Theatre. Very lovely venue by the way, absolutely gorgeous. Anyway back to BuckVie . The opening act Wilderado was good. Never heard them before, and it's not what I usually listen to, but I enjoyed it. The lead singer forgot Lindsey's name lol. He was talking about how this has been a great opportunity for them and said, "It's really an honor to be here opening for Christine and...." Some people in the crowd helped him out by yelling "LINDSEY"!

This theater was set up with the pit being the first 4 rows. My ticket was for Orchestra Row C, so basically 7th row, since the Orchestra was right behind the pit. When Chris and Linds came on stage a few people stood (including me), but most sat down quickly. I stayed standing for Trouble, but the people behind me kept pestering me to sit down. I complied and sat for the rest of the acoustic set. However, during Feel About You, I got back up because I love that song and was ready to dance! In the the pit there was a large open area off to the side where no chairs were located. I noticed some very eager, and possibly drunk, people making their way to that area to dance around. This area was right in front of the stage, a little off to the side of Lindsey. I didn't see any security around and figured I would have a better time if I went down there with the people who wanted to stand. I decided to take my chances as the worst that would happen is that security would send me back to my seat. Anyway, I went down there, and I am so glad I did! It's a good thing I went up front when I did because I heard security sending a few people back a few songs later.

Like I said earlier this was my first BuckVie show; it was also my first time ever seeing Christine and Lindsey live. I've never got to see Fleetwood Mac and only saw Stevie for the first time during the 24 Karat Gold Tour, so to be up front was an absolutely exhilarating experience. The energy at the front row is so much better. Everyone was dancing, singing, and having an amazing time. I looked back and even some of the people in the pit that weren't at the stage were sitting, especially through the new stuff. I was probably 6-10 feet away from Lindsey and watching him play that close was out of this world! From the angle I was at, I didn't have the best view of Christine because of a microphone. However, from what I can tell, she looked and sounded amazing. I'm so happy that I finally got to hear Hold Me live! It's always been one of my favorites, and I never thought I would get to hear it performed live. Other interesting things that happened included a lady about 6 people to the left of me right in front of Lindsey who kept shouting "Lindsey, you're so f***ing hot"! They actually started YMLF when they should have played Red Sun, and Lindsey told the lady "you're making me lose concentration"! It was pretty funny

Now on to the best part of my experience. I'm sorry this is turning out to be so long! I realized that I was front row and was hoping that Lindsey would come over to my section during GYOW. I was screaming and waving my arms quite a bit when he started walking towards where I was standing. He saw me and leaned down to let me and others strum his guitar! I cannot even fully describe the feeling I had in that moment, I thought I was going to stop breathing for a second! There is absolutely nothing like getting to experience something like that with one of your favorite artists. Just when I thought things couldn't get better, they did. When the band walked off stage after GYOW I yelled, "I love you Christine!" when she walked by, and she looked at me and blew me a kiss! Once again, I lost my composure. After the show, I caught a glimpse of Christine's car as I was walking back to the parking garage. A girl in front of me went up to the car with her Rumours record and Christine rolled down the window. She politely declined signing and told us to have a good night. Then, she waved at us before the car drove away. I think the girl was a little devastated, but Christine was probably tired, and I don't blame her for declining. I still think she is such a sweet person.

To make a long story short (too late) last night was one of the best nights of my life. Lindsey and Christine put on a phenomenal show, and I am so thankful for the experience I got to have. They made this 19 year old girl very happy!!!

Wow, what a great review!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the show as much as I did. Nice to read about your experience.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 AM

At one of my shows they had a false start on Red Sun and Lindsey said something like, "We're old so let's start this again." Crowd went nuts..
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love your review! Isn't it awesome to interact with these amazing people? This is why I never feel bad about going to shows. You never know what will happen. Even if something "extra" doesn't happen I still get to experience live music that I love. Glad you had fun.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post

loved reading your description with all little details that were different at your show - thanks so much for sharing! and adored this was your first time ever seeing Lindsey and Christine live and you had such great experience and got to interact with both of them!