The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is Trading Fleetwood Mac Boots Going To End Soon?

Hey,
I was thinking that I used to trade a lot up untill downloads became the next best thing. So how long do you think it will be before we quit trading altogther? I hope its not soon. I love trading
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Nah, I don't think it will ever end. There's always people who want to get as close to the original recording as possible and mp3 with its compression in the higher frequencies won't be enough for them. Sure, they don't take that much space (because compressing the higher frequencies always takes a lot away from the file size) and they're convenient and neat and tidy and all but ideologically I wouldn't want to use them. On some recordings the cymbals sound wishy-washy etc. Sure, it might sound like a real .wav file to most and one is bound to lose some hearing when getting older anyway. But that's the thing anyway, there's still lots of people who don't care about the differences or don't even hear them.

For me this is a simple thing: "MP3 IS NOT THE ORIGINAL RECORDING! (but if people want to use them for whatever reasons, fine with me)". And of course, since I'm still just trying to get my dirty hands into the FM trading circles I hope the trading won't stop too soon.

There's still things the FM trading community could improve if it wanted to be truly anal retentive; sector boundary errors and incorrect sample offsets in the CDs they burn (common plagues in many a band's trade circles) but I don't mind them myself and I think not fixing them might be better for the traders' mental healths, after having followed some of the discussions on these issues on the Web.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You can trade "the real thing" with me 'til the cows come home, 77Rumours77! I'm not into downloads. Have ya had time to check out the lists I sent you yet?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do both, and I plan to continue doing both. I love to trade!

Paula
Old 07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
You can trade "the real thing" with me 'til the cows come home, 77Rumours77! I'm not into downloads. Have ya had time to check out the lists I sent you yet?
Yes, Check your PM
Old 07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
Hey,
I was thinking that I used to trade a lot up untill downloads became the next best thing. So how long do you think it will be before we quit trading altogther? I hope its not soon. I love trading
I don't see it happening anytime soon. Believe me, I don't do the download thing and I stay more busy than ya think...

Plus alot of the rarest music available (Not Fleetwood Mac's) will never be added online to be downloaded, You'll have to buy/trade via "snail mail" for those recordings.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 07-08-2004 at 09:11 PM..
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd love to get started trading at the moment I have nothing, but I want to build a collection, any help would be greatly apreciated, if you're interested PM me please.

Tynan