User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd

It's all about freedom and choice... and that 's about as political as I'd like Fleetwood Mac to be. "Peacekeeper" as someone so aptly stated has too much political innuendo in this day and age...and that's the LAST thing I want FM to become...POLITICAL.

Yeah, after mulling it over, I think the Peacekeeper title - while powerful - would take on too much meaning right now. If this hadn't been released in such turbulant times, I don't think it would even be considered an issue. But yep, it's a bit much now for a band that primarily deals with matters of the heart, not of politics. I think part of the delay in naming the thing might have been that the band was seriously considering this as a title and backed off in light of everything that is going on. And if so, I think they made the right choice.

(I have to admit Say You Will is growing on me...)

Mike B.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
I think I really liked FM choosing "Say You Will" for the title not just because of the words themselves but because of the meaning behind them..in the context of Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey and Stevie working together on a studio album for the first time since TITN..a plea from Stevie asking Lindsey, and the rest of the band for that matter to do this(record, tour) one more time..."give me one more chance"....."if I ask you to dance". That's what came to my mind when I heard this phrase. How appropriate after all these years.

"Say You Will" such an open ended term..... Asking someone to do something willingly and freely because it means so much. "Say You Will" 'marry me' , 'die for me', 'stay with me' etc etc etc.

It's all about freedom and choice... and that 's about as political as I'd like Fleetwood Mac to be. "Peacekeeper" as someone so aptly stated has too much political innuendo in this day and age...and that's the LAST thing I want FM to become...POLITICAL.

Joe

Great interpretation.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
"Say You Will" (is) such an open ended term..... Asking someone to do something willingly and freely because it means so much. "Say You Will" 'marry me' , 'die for me', 'stay with me' etc etc etc.

It's all about freedom and choice...
Aw, doggone it, Joe! You've gone and made me start liking 'Say You Will' as the title!

Johnny Stew
Old 02-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry Say You Will...

UGHHHHHH!!!! Thrown Down would
have been better! Stevie has lots of
solo work so why would she Beg for
a FM album? Doesn't make sense!

DANCING AGAIN would fit her wanting
to dance theme...very "female" title!
One More Chance...would fit them all!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 02-04-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Say You Will...

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylark
One More Chance...would fit them all!Sky
Actually, that is pretty good. And it would have made sense. "Say You Will" forces you to wonder: Say you will what? Most people will just shrug and assume the band mererly picked a song after which to name the album and it's no big deal. So if they were reaching for some kind of meaning with this title, it will fall flat with most buyers.

And I must respectfully disagree with who said "Peacekeeper" would be too political. The argument that it would be quite a left turn for Fleetwood Mac, and therefore fraught with risks, is a very valid argument. But:

--What's so wrong with making a strong statement for peace at a time when an ill-advised war with far-reaching geopolitical and environmental repercussions is about to start? Hear me now and believe me later, folks: If this war lasts four, five weeks, we'll be back to unbridled consumerism in no time. Otherwise, you can assuredly expect that more and more recording artists will be taking it on. (Warning: I'm about to digress. Skip to ** if you don't want to embark on this detour.) On another thread, there has been some discussion of label money grubbing and the ethics of downloading songs. Prediction: If the war situation gets worse, which it well could (don't think this is going to stop at Iraq, folks) the musical artists who will make a difference will have to find alternative ways to do so, because the labels, at least initially, will frown on overtly anti-war stuff. And this could really be the catalyst for Internet music distribution.

**--I wonder if the title "Peacekeeper," if indeed it was considered seriously by the band, was derailed by the label rather than the band members themselves. After all, Stevie and Lindsey have shown the occasional willingness to get into political stuff. (Even "Desert Angel" could be considered a political song.) So they might have thought "Peacekeeper" was a good choice.

Frankly, the selection of "Say You Will" looks like a marketing decision to me. As with just about everything else we've seen so far regarding this release -- whoring the songs to TV promos; picking a Stevie song as the first single, which I believe is a first; the paring down of the double set to one disc.

That's all for me now. Gotta work. Peace to all.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Don't be afraid to fight

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
And I must respectfully disagree with who said "Peacekeeper" would be too political. The argument that it would be quite a left turn for Fleetwood Mac, and therefore fraught with risks, is a very valid argument.
Honestly, unless Lindsey changes the lyrics somewhat, "Peacekeeper" could actually be interpreted to be PRO-military action - as in "peacekeeping force" - keeping the peace by fighting Iraq and deposing Saddam Hussein.

Now since Lindsey is Mr. Democrat, I'm quite sure that's not what he means - especially since he wrote the song before all this started! But I am wondering if he's going to try to clarify that.

Last edited by sodascouts; 02-04-2003 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I think I was the first to say Peacekeeper was too political for FM. That's not to say I think it's a bad title. I think it grabs you more, packs more of a punch, is more in continuity w/ other FM album titles....but is too political for them-not for me. They are not about politics.
I don't think they have ever wanted to be. That's just not them. And if it was all about marketing, well good. I hope whoever is marketing this makes the right decisions. And old band minus a key member might strike gold or might fall flat. Todays radio is probably more fickle than it was in 97 for the Dance. At least for the Dance it was all the key memebrs of the most famous line-up singing mostly familiar songs-and it had the promo of being a highly touted "reunion". Risky, but probably not half as much as this new album.
So market away-I hope it works as planned. Of course I'd still probably love the material if it flopped-but I'd rather see them smeared all over the place and in the top 10 of charts, etc etc. !!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Hmmm...
I prefer album titles that aren't song titles...Rumours, Mirage, The Dance.

"Say You Will" is a good song title, though I haven't heard enough of the song yet to decide what to make of it. It's not as strong a song/album title as Tango In The Night, that's for sure. I would have much rather they picked a title that wasn't a song.

I'll give ChiliD an Amen. I haven't offered much heated debate to the Ledge, but I must say, I LOVE it as long as it's respectful (and I think everyone who's posted in this thread has been).

The Mac is all about passion and I love the passion everyone here has for the Mac, and I agree with everything said here about the band setting and raising the bar, spoiling us if you will, creating some discriminating taste in music, style and even album titles. Bella, as always, you said it so well.

-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 02-04-2003 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, after mulling it over, I think the Peacekeeper title - while powerful - would take on too much meaning right now. If this hadn't been released in such turbulant times, I don't think it would even be considered an issue. But yep, it's a bit much now for a band that primarily deals with matters of the heart, not of politics.
Agreed Mike....a band that deals with matters of the heart not of politics!

Thank you Bluegrass for the kind words.

Quote:
Aw, doggone it, Joe! You've gone and made me start liking 'Say You Will' as the title!
Well Brian it's the least I could do...after all that's what IT IS GOING TO BE .........I LOVE YOU MAN!

Quote:
Stevie has lots of
solo work so why would she Beg for
a FM album? Doesn't make sense!
True Stevie does have lots of solo work and good for her. I really don't think she'd BEG but I'd like to think of it as an appeal. But more importantly than that it is the SENTIMENT behind the lines written in Say You Will that makes perfect sense to me...Stevie's always loved being in FM..is it so unbelievable that she'd like to give this one more go?!

Oh and I forgot to give chiliD an amen.....AMEN BROTHER!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 02-05-2003 at 07:09 PM..
Old 02-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
True Stevie does have lots of solo work and good for her. I really don't think she'd BEG but I'd like to think of it as an appeal. But more importantly than that it is the SENTIMENT behind the lines written in Say You Will that makes perfect sense to me...Stevie's always loved being in FM..is it so unbelievable that she'd like to give this one more go?!
Not only has Stevie loved being in FM, she's said that she PREFERS to be with the band. While she loves her solo career, she says it gets a little lonesome.