Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I love threads like these

By far my favorite JaS track from Boston is on vol. 3. Not too long ago, me and a friend of mine were searching tunes on Youtube, and we came across Gary Moore's version of JaS. As I had the Boston vol 3. version fresh in my head, Moore's version did not move me at all. My friend thought it was pretty good. Then I played him Boston's Vol. 3 version. He couldn't stop laughing for half an hour. This juxtaposes fans of Gary Moore who flood the Youtube comments page with lauded praise.

Of course the best all time solo has to go to "All Over Again", Stockholm 4/1/70. It's more condensed and streamlined vs. the Warehouse. It's also extremely dark, only a person in so much internal pain could play a guitar solo like that. I don't even think Jeff Beck's brilliance could approach it, it's untouchable.

Is "The Letter" the Joe Cocker/Box Tops song? (can't be) If it is, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by slipkid; 07-22-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default I also love threads like this

Slipkid I think "The letter" is the original name of the song (All over again, or I've got a mind... as I prefer to call it). I think (but no sure) it's a BB King song (I also read is amercan "popular" so I'm not really sure) and originally it was named so (The letter).

I think it was doodyhead who called it like that so probably he has more information...

I also love the Stockholm version but to me the New Orleans version is the best, the one that emotionally moves me more...
Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Concerning also the Gary Moore thing I have to say that GM came to my town a couple of months ago. I went to see him live and as I said somewhere in the forum I stayed in the front row (with my green "Greeny" T-Shirt, hahah I'm sure he saw me). He did some blues populars and to me he showed very very little respect to these great songs as he distorted them with extermely long and heavy-thing soloes. He only played one blues pop with what I call "respect", that was All your love.

But oh my god what a collection of guitars!! A gold top, one which looked just like the one he got (and later sold) from PG...and also his Gibson signature, with the killer switch...ohhhh

And PG using epiphones...

Sorry for this post in this place , I didnt know where to put it. Everyone: go on dicussing which is the best live performance of Peter!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post
"he would probably find that he made "too many mistakes"

Yes very true, although the "mistakes thing" is purely a technical way of looking at it, and as we all know the best guitar-playing is anything but technically perfect

JonsonP
Yes, it is a kind of "double-denial" of the obvious....that it is magical playing!

And slipkid and others who might know: I remember another thread with this question but can't find it: I have the Boston Teaparty (lilac coloured box, called Fleetwood Mac Boston Blues) in a two cd version from Snapper Music, released in 2000. Jumping at Shadows is the 4th number on disc one.

Is the Jumping At Shadows on that the same version as the one you are talking about on volume 3 in the 3 cd version?

Everybody agreed that the 3 cd one should be released again!

Anyway, it is a very emotional, close to the heart interpretation of the lyrics, which was - I suppose - very like PG's mental state at the time: paranoic, exhausted and sad.

Ms Moose

Last edited by Ms Moose; 07-22-2009 at 12:13 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default over again, easy

BB King released it as "All Over Again" in 65 and on a greatest hits compilation in 68 King/ Adams there is another letter BB King song written the same year on another single in 65

Butterfield released it as "I've got a mind to give up living" written by "Traditional" Public Domain on the original East West 1966 It is later credited to Nat Adderly

Green did it as "All Over Again" it was never officially released

Forget what I said about "The Letter" or Your Letter" for that matter. I was incorrect upon further investigation. IThey were other songs BB King wrote in the same year. He must have gone postal that year

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 07-22-2009 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: I believe I am wrong
Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Your no son of mine gary moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida View Post
Concerning also the Gary Moore thing I have to say that GM came to my town a couple of months ago. I went to see him live and as I said somewhere in the forum I stayed in the front row (with my green "Greeny" T-Shirt, hahah I'm sure he saw me). He did some blues populars and to me he showed very very little respect to these great songs as he distorted them with extermely long and heavy-thing soloes. He only played one blues pop with what I call "respect", that was All your love.
Hey feel free to bash gary moore anytime, although a talented musician he is anything but a bluesman. Let him play rock and he kicks ass i have to admit( although i do despise him) having seen clips of early thin lizzy stuff etc, he can really play.....But never blues or sing it for that matter.

The disc 1 and most well known version of jumping at showdows is the best for me as i dont think i´ve heard a solo anywhere evolve and change so beautifully before

I´m on the trail of the tracks quoted that i´ve not heard so i wil chip in again when i have.

Also another amazing solo and maybe the best bent note ever is the homework solo, proper gives me goosebumps.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Yes, it is a kind of "double-denial" of the obvious....that it is magical playing!

And slipkid and others who might know: I remember another thread with this question but can't find it: I have the Boston Teaparty (lilac coloured box, called Fleetwood Mac Boston Blues) in a two cd version from Snapper Music, released in 2000. Jumping at Shadows is the 4th number on disc one.

Is the Jumping At Shadows on that the same version as the one you are talking about on volume 3 in the 3 cd version?

Everybody agreed that the 3 cd one should be released again!

Anyway, it is a very emotional, close to the heart interpretation of the lyrics, which was - I suppose - very like PG's mental state at the time: paranoic, exhausted and sad.

Ms Moose

The Boston Blues version of JaS is from "Live in Boston vol 1." . Don't forget there's a third version of JaS from Boston on "Jumping At Shadows The Blues Years", and either "Vaudeville" or "Showbiz Blues" (same version). That is the weakest of the three IMO.

For me the "Live in Boston vol. 3" version is the best example of how Peter used dynamics. While Eric Clapton (Mayall and Cream Clapton) liked to bring out the knife right away and kill you on the spot, Green would toy with you, then wield a sledgehammer to finish you off. It's as if he's dancing on glass. Even though Duster Bennett wrote the song, it fit Peter's state of mind (at the time) to a T. He literally was jumping at shadows.

I was going to give you Ms. Moose the Amazon.com .mp3 link for the song, but for some reason (this is recent) six of the original thirteen tracks for vol. 3 are missing, including JaS! What is going on? I could send you the song directly Ms. Moose via e-mail. It's in iPod format.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Junior Ledgie

(for greenmanastrat)

I found these links on youyube that can do the job of introduce you to the matter.They're allversions of this song, and they are all superb (despite the sound quality). I know I said the NO version is better but having heard again the stockholm one..I cannot decide. Is just like my left and right hand...very difficult!!!!!!!!!

You decide which is better. Enjoy (hope the links work)

london 69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtt6SOh8t4

helsinki 69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKSZljUau7k

stockholm 70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ytgYYZuLs

fillmore west

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-9ebsRbTL8

The Warehouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgY9eEFiYM

Last edited by aida; 07-22-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default I've Got a Mind to Give up Living

B.B. King does a cracking version of I’ve Got a Mind to Give up Living (aka The Letter) on his Live in Kansas City album, recorded in 1972. I seem to remember reading somewhere that King rated this album at least as highly as Live at the Regal. His playing on it throughout is magnificent. The CD is available at both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida View Post
(for greenmanastrat)

I found these links on youyube that can do the job of introduce you to the matter.They're allversions of this song, and they are all superb (despite the sound quality). I know I said the NO version is better but having heard again the stockholm one..I cannot decide. Is just like my left and right hand...very difficult!!!!!!!!!

You decide which is better. Enjoy (hope the links work)
Wow aida your a diamond Geezer!
Too much to digest just right now in terms of giving an opnion but all sound so far quite stunning.JAS I´ve known for a long time, so when i can digest i will see if i my opnion changes.
I´m very glad i provoked this debate new prime green stuff i aint heard before woo hoo!!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I only have the "Greatest Hits Live" CD which was I guess taken from live performances at the Boston Tea Party. I've always loved the version of "Jumpin At Shadows" from that disc. Everytime I have it in the car, I blast it when that track comes on!! I absolutely love it!! Peter sounds phenomenal both on the guitar and his vocal. One of my all time favourite FM songs.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The Boston Blues version of JaS is from "Live in Boston vol 1." . Don't forget there's a third version of JaS from Boston on "Jumping At Shadows The Blues Years", and either "Vaudeville" or "Showbiz Blues" (same version). That is the weakest of the three IMO.

For me the "Live in Boston vol. 3" version is the best example of how Peter used dynamics. While Eric Clapton (Mayall and Cream Clapton) liked to bring out the knife right away and kill you on the spot, Green would toy with you, then wield a sledgehammer to finish you off. It's as if he's dancing on glass. Even though Duster Bennett wrote the song, it fit Peter's state of mind (at the time) to a T. He literally was jumping at shadows.

I was going to give you Ms. Moose the Amazon.com .mp3 link for the song, but for some reason (this is recent) six of the original thirteen tracks for vol. 3 are missing, including JaS! What is going on? I could send you the song directly Ms. Moose via e-mail. It's in iPod format.
Try This: http://bandit59.blogspot.com/search/...LEETWOOD%20MAC
All three Boston CD's, thus vol. 3 included.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Jumping at Shadows/All Over Again

I am generally far more of a reader than a contributer to this forum but am compelled to post for several reasons.
Firstly JaS is undoubtedly one of the finest examles of true blues playing ever recorded, both on Disc 1 & 3 of Boston Tea Party (disc 1 is my preference).
BB King most recently recorded 'All Over Again' on his '80' album and this is the only title I knew this song by. Since hearing this I have seen several posts referencing Greeny's version and have longed to hear it. So, many thanks to aida for posting the YouTube links, i'll be going straight there after posting this!
On a slight tangent it has often amazed me that Greeny's solo on the Boston disc 1 version of Green Manalishi (before the extended jam section) is not regularly included in top guitar solo lists. I know it's a lot to do with personal taste but this never fails to move me and often makes me shiver. It is obviously one of his more heavier solo's and not blessed with some of the subleties present on tracks such as JaS but is so raw and aggressive.
Oh and I would definitely agree that BtB from Shrine '69 is also sublime.
Anyway i'm of to check out YouTube.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Indeed, many thanks to aida for posting those YouTube links

All outstanding performances, although I still prefer the Stockholm version, it's just got the wow factor!

I've got a mind to just give up guitar-playing after listening to all these

J
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLW View Post
On a slight tangent it has often amazed me that Greeny's solo on the Boston disc 1 version of Green Manalishi (before the extended jam section) is not regularly included in top guitar solo lists. I know it's a lot to do with personal taste but this never fails to move me and often makes me shiver. It is obviously one of his more heavier solo's and not blessed with some of the subleties present on tracks such as JaS but is so raw and aggressive.
Great shout, after i posted the intial thread it also crossed my mind how much the solo from manalishi live gave me the goose bumps! I always thought it was like realy fancy scales as well but its just pure blues and amazing bending of notes being so creative and emotive. It seems at this time it was just flowing out of him.