Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Default Fan Reviews!

Here's mine! Write your reviews here!

1. Starshine
Great Opener! Rockin' song

2. If You Were My Love
Very pretty, not my favorite but a great song!

3. Mabel Normand
Amazing! She really worked out this one! Love it

4. Twisted
10x better the original, I love the duet version but this is better!

5. 24 Karat Gold
One of my favorites, classic stevie

6. Belle Fleur
One of my faves from the whole album! Amazing love the intro!

7. All the Beautiful Worlds
Better then the original! Not to slow, nothing really changed. btw Sharon and Lori are ROCKIN on this track!

8. Lady
Beautiful sweet and lovely, can't get enough of this!

9. I Don't Care
YES A NICE HARD ROCK SONG! Amazing! Favorite song from the whole album

10. Watch Chain

I love it! Nice song
11. Hard Advice
Better then I thought, one of her best!

12. Carousel
I love it, love the strings a lot!

13. Blue Water
Good, but hate the male backing voices

14. Cathouse Blues
Bluesy, I like the horns

15. The Dealer
Good vocals, rockin' song close to the original

16. She Loves Him Still
Sweet, i love it

I'd give 24K gold a 9/10
Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM
sorcerer999
This message has been deleted by sorcerer999.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Here's mine! Write your reviews here!

1. Starshine
Great Opener! Rockin' song

2. If You Were My Love
Very pretty, not my favorite but a great song!

3. Mabel Normand
Amazing! She really worked out this one! Love it

4. Twisted
10x better the original, I love the duet version but this is better!

5. 24 Karat Gold
One of my favorites, classic stevie

6. Belle Fleur
One of my faves from the whole album! Amazing love the intro!

Better then the original! Not to slow, nothing really changed. btw Sharon and Lori are ROCKIN on this track!

8. Lady
Beautiful sweet and lovely, can't get enough of this!

9. I Don't Care
YES A NICE HARD ROCK SONG! Amazing! Favorite song from the whole album

10. Watch Chain

I love it! Nice song
11. Hard Advice
Better then I thought, one of her best!

12. Carousel
I love it, love the strings a lot!

13. Blue Water
Good, but hate the male backing voices

14. Cathouse Blues
Bluesy, I like the horns

15. The Dealer
Good vocals, rockin' song close to the original

16. She Loves Him Still
Sweet, i love it

I'd give 24K gold a 9/10
I have been playing this album for 3 days and there is still so many good riffs to fully examine.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I promised myself to avoid looking at comments posted on YouTube . There are so many mean, rude, ignorant and baseless comments about just every video/topic. It's a mixed bag of reasonable, articulate posts among a lot of passive/aggressive stupid hacks who use it as forum for their anger and insults. It gets very nasty.

But when watching/listening to Stevie's recent videos, I couldn't resist looking. I dismissed all the negative comments from the ones who obviously have no relationship with Stevie, knowing nothing about her, yet feel the need to spew very negative postings.

What's very interesting are the wide range of comments from self-professed fans. Most are extremely positive, understanding the music is in context of where Stevie is in this stage of her life, and loving all of the new songs. "Amazing" is often the reaction, and there is a strong emotional, personal connection to the songs.

Other posts are more conflicted, opinionated or hyper- critical, with serious reservations about her abilities now, not finding anything to appreciate. They have a specific expectation based on her younger self that doesn't match the older of Stevie today. To each its own! When they get older, they may form a different perspective.

However, this dissidence is actually a good thing. It shows that Stevie is still a relevant artist and making music with an impact, whether that be extreme love or abject hate. The worst thing would be indifference. That's something I don't see .

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-29-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up My review..

My first listen thoughts... about 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault (and a merry-go-round).

Side 1, Disc 1

Starshine - such a great opener and song! Uptempo, fun, but not all humor. A song called "Starshine" with lyrics like "Playing with fire was..." only Stevie Nicks. Perfect opener. Sets the tone that this album is going to rock a lot with some dark, intense lyrics.

If You Were My Love - The sadness in her voice alone steals my heart. A beautiful rock and roll lullaby of yearning for something out of reach. "Ooh, if I was the one to watch over your sleeping, you would never be frightened.. at all." Beautiful Child, part deux.. I'm in love with this song.

Mabel Normand - Vintage Stevie with a wicked touch. I had to go old school with this one, reading the lyrics from the album insert, as I tried to follow the message. All over the place, both musically with its roving guitars and sad, beautiful, exiled lyrics. This song is a gas - in a most tragic way. Favorite lyric: "Strange things to follow when you love someone." I dig it.
"so beautiful.. sad Mabel Normand.."

Twisted - I'm really enjoying the new version as I feel it elevates to a calmer space, unlike the previous versions. It's hopeful, in the dark wings of the storm, and feels more positive. Another pretty vocal by Stevie - very nicely done.

Get up, flip the groovy orange Reprise labeled vinyl to Side 2, Disc 1.

24 Karat Gold - I adore how this song came out with it's classic Fleetwood Mac feel. Great guitar weaving throughout along with that Stevie mysticism - can these Nashville players play? Oh yes, they can. One of the album's highlights.

Belle Fleur - Love how this track starts with its "No Spoken Word" sounding opening riff.. love the demo and love how this "canyon hippie dancing" song came out. "a garden for feelings to grow in.. as I run to the door of the long, black car..." :-) Classic Stevie. Yep, this is one of the better tracks. "Are you looking for a man.."always Stevie - love the song's ending. Very nice.

All the Beautiful Worlds - All the beautiful voices. Always loved the demo - to the edge of the night baby - and such a pretty melodic chorus sung with the ladies. Perfect pace - this is a winner! Skeptical from the snippet (yep, you can't judge a song by a snippet), but pleasantly surprised on how she delivered such a beautiful song..

Lady
- I love you, Lady.

Ok - that was a beautiful side and I really want to hear it again, but I'm going to listen to the whole album first. Something tells me disc 1, side 2 is going to get a lot of spins on my turntable.

Side 3, disc 2.

I Don't Care - Rock and roll Stevie with a twist. "sometimes the beauty overwhelms you" especially when you actually do care. Simmering a little, but this is one of those Stevie songs that tend to grow on me. I like the twist in the lyrics.

Watch Chain
- Love the groove of this song and how it penetrates these really intense lyrics, "Be careful of strangers who are new to your eyes." I love how this album rocks a lot - nice beat, nice feel, but oh, those words.

Hard Advice - I love everything about this track. The music. Stevie's seasoned, weathered voice, so tender and sad. The acceptance in the lyrics that are still so very hard.. "You have to let him go, he gives such hard advice.... turn off the radio, it was finished long ago.." I feel this one.. really feel it. One of my favorites that I am probably going to love even more as I continue to listen to it.

Carousel - Pretty song, but seems out of place. "Where in the world did you come from?" I do like the lyric "I thought I heard your voice in the thunder." Next.

Probably would have been my second favorite side if it wasn't for the merry-go-round.

Side 4, disc 2

Blue Water - Hmm. I will need to think about this one... starts out slow and pretty, but like the changing tides, I guess, perks up a bit when the instruments chime in. Didn't expect it, and didn't expect the male singer at the end ( I'm not feeling the dude at all). Ok track, but I love the simplicity of the demo better. A bit disappointed, to be honest. Maybe it may grow on me because I love the sentiment of the song. "Blue water.. I sit and I wait for the morning to come.."

Cathouse Blues - Fun for what it's worth. So far, side 4, disc 2 is my least favorite. I mean, the album was rocking.. and kind of took a left turn starting with Carousel. Cathouse Blues is a cute track, but it doesn't feel right for this record.

The Dealer - I really like this song, and it helps to get the album back on track and back to its rock feel.

and finally, the song I have been waiting for..

She Loves Him Still - I've always loved the lyric "I miss my friend.. I miss the sound of his laughter" as I had a friend who passed and I still feel his loss and can hear his laugh. She captured it beautifully here.. love, love the end. . "And the sands of time like shattering glass go past her." Well worth the wait - you did this demo proud. Beautiful finish to an overall great Stevie Nicks record. Now on to a second listen.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm going to do a stream of conscious review as I listen to it the first time.

1. Starshine I can't imagine a better opener. Bouncy, rocking, FUN.

2. If You Were My Love Simply gorgeous. It's long been my favorite unreleased demo, and it's been done justice. I love how reverently this one was treated. The added electric guitar in the background is spooky & lovely.

3. Mabel Normand I knew by the clip that this song was going to be the big surprise of the album. I dig the stream of conscious style of the song. There's no traditional verses, chorus, or song structure. But it's chugging & keeps your interest, and there's a great little instrumental bridge. What an interesting experiment Stevie did by recording & releasing this song. She's taken a risk & broken convention. To me it's proof she's still an artist.

4. Twisted The original will always have my heart. I didn't need another version of this song- I wish another had been recorded in it's place. I do have to say, it's nice to finally hear Stevie singing with her inside voice for the first time in 2 decades, though.

5. 24 Karat Gold Easily the best song Stevie's recorded in over a decade. Classic, classic Stevie Nicks. Sounds like it could have been plucked straight from Bella Donna or Mirage. Witchy, atmospheric, and rocking.

6. Belle Fleur Holy crap, the intro surprised the hell out of me. I expected this song to go in a much more country/folk direction, and that intro just totally caught me off guard. It's got far more of that 70s southern California rock sound than I was expecting. I dig it!

7. All the Beautiful Worlds SO true to the original! Very, very Wild Heart. Love those prominent vocals with the girls. The chorus still sounds slow to me, though.

8. Lady Meh.

9. I Don't Care Very 70s Heart sounding. Love the intro & those softer interludes.

10. Watch Chain Wow, it's an electric guitar rock song! It's the first song that's made me grin! I never thought this demo could be turned into a legit, finished song... but here it is.

11. Hard Advice I expected this song to be bad, and it's really not. I figured we were in for another That Made Me Stronger, and it's much better than that.

12. Carousel I have to say, I cringed when I read Stevie was covering a Vanessa Carlton song. I think Vanessa is first rate awful. This song is really not bad, though. However, the lack of musical interludes & quick switching between verses & choruses really bugs me. Sounds rushed. I like the strings... nice touch.

13. Blue Water Ugh, this song sounds it was fished from Lady Antebellum's porta potty. This was a make or break one for me... and they definitely broke it. To me, this is the one song the really should had handled solemnly, but totally didn't. It's not bad, but it's just not good. And the demo was just magical. This is just awful.

14. Cathouse Blues So, so corny. I had to switch to the next song.

15. The Dealer Just okay. The demo never did much for me, so this newer version isn't any different.

16. She Loves Him Still I thought the original was sappy, but this is lovely. Seems very poignant for her to record it now. I think her older voice actually lends this song far more credibility. Color me surprised I like this one. What a perfect little prayer to close the album out.

The overwhelming impression I take away from this album is: my God, the woman has her voice back! She's rediscovered how to sing softly, with inflection, tenderness, range, and feeling. She isn't just shouting at us with a flat tone anymore!

I'll have to listen to it several more times before I can rank it compared to her other solo works. Side 4 was just awful, and really stains the whole thing for me. That being said, as a whole, this is the album many of us have been waiting for Stevie to make for decades. It's a true return to form. There's a lot of greatness here, but also contains the requisite turds every Stevie album showcases.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How they came to the decision that "Watch Chain" was going to be one of the bonus tracks, while lackluster tracks like "The Dealer" and "I Don't Care" made the "official" cut, is BEYOND ME!!! "Watch Chain" is one of my favorite tracks I keep revisiting. So much fun!!!

LOVE & ADORE
"If You Were My Love"
"24 Karat Gold"
"Belle Fleur"
"All The Beautiful Worlds"
"Watch Chain"
"Hard Advice"

LIKE A LOT
"Starshine"
"Mabel Normand"
"Lady"
"Carousel"
"Cathouse Blues"

JUST OKAY

"Twisted"
"I Don't Care"
"Blue Water"

MEH
"The Dealer"

INITIALLY DISLIKED BUT IS SLOWLY GROWING ON ME
"She Loves Him Still"

Already, this album is "Classic Stevie Nicks" and I adore it! It has trumped TOSOTM, SA, TISL, and IYD!!! I think it's the best thing she's put out since the early 80's "Holy Trilogy", in my opinion. Her voice is youthful, strong and full of emotion once more. This is the exact kind of record that I want to see her continue to put out there...and ESPECIALLY with that 5 month "start to release date" pace!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only listened to the album one time through, but I really liked it. This is a great album from Stevie that will get a lot of play from me, especially in the car, probably all winter long. Cause I listen to Stevie all winter long. lol. anyway....

Starshine:
Right in the first 10 seconds, this album says 'I was recorded in Nashville.' The choruses in this song are done well.

If You Were My Love:
OK, this is not a good follow to Starshine. No no no. The harpsichord is great, and feels really vintage. I have to say, this is my first time listening and I want to skip it right now. But I don't like lifting and dropping the needle on the record so I'll just keep listening.

OMG I thought it was over and then it kept droning.

Mabel Normand:
My first thought is 'groovy'. Rich with an 80's synth rock vibe. This song is interesting because it has such an untraditional structure. It does not have choruses. More like verses and bridges. I like this style of writing from Stevie, with less editing, when it's good like this is. If The Nightmare had been allowed to be freeform like this, instead of arranged so oddly, it might have worked better.

Twisted:
So right off the bat I think 'OK, this sounds like I'm at a small Stevie show and her acoustic band is performing Twisted. It sounds great and the vocals are good, but at first I wonder if it was necessary...but by the end of the song, I've decided this needs to be in her live set-lists. Probably one I'll push the back button on the CD player for.

24 Karat Gold:
I love the guitar in this song. So 80s. So California. The overlapping lyrics are great! I could listen to this all day. On repeat. In the car - yes, that's it. I want to get in the car and drive, nowhere and anywhere. Through the mountains or up the coast or across the desert, with the windows open and the stereo blasting this song.

Belle Fleur:
The intro is so cool. I can totally hear this in her live shows, used as an instrumental showcase where she can do wardrobe changes. Overall I like this song, but it feels a little monotonous vocally and instrumentally. The ending portion and fadeout of the song are excellent - I am loving the dance-outro.

All The Beautiful Worlds:
Some musical drama in the intro that is nice. This is easy to sing along to, assuming you know the demo, because it so closely mirrors that. There's a narrow gap between the end of the first chorus and the start of the second verse, and it's awkward sounding. As this song goes on, I'm thinking it sounds like the backdrop to an AARP add or a nursing home commercial. "Bring your loved one to us at All The Beautiful Worlds." I do with the choruses had more layers, but I have to say, the backing vocals are great - so well done and on point and tight. As the song closes, I'm thinking about what a travesty it is that this was excluded from The Wild Heart, because the vocal from that era is so appropriate to the song. By the time this version finishes, 30 years later, I'm feeling a little sexy granny vibe from Stevie and I don't like it.

Lady:
Good on the stereo, finally. I find this song easier to take seriously without the video. It's more serious, I guess is what I mean, without the knock-knock gestures and stuff. To be honest, Stevie's vocals were croaky and annoying in the beginning, and then as the song goes on that changed and I found that the vocals were just right, a richness crept in and they became strong. It grows on you, but you know, I agree finally with the assessment that the song might be a little bit too long, but no sooner did I think that, then it ends.

I Don't Care:
Sounds like the Eagles to me. Like Eagles, with some Stevie sauce, but then a side of Eagles. It's a good song, and I like hearing something from Stevie in this genre. You can see how this fits in with what Stevie was dong around Bella Donna, with that country rock sound in After The Glitter Fades or Think About It. That sound is present in this song, too. Stevie's vocals are killer though at the peak of the song. Damn, gurl!

Watch Chain:
Song starts and I'm smiling like an idiot right from the start. I'm delighted. This sounds like what I know, but updated and modern. Classic. The harmonies are standing out. This song screams out to me "I should be on a Fleetwood Mac record!" It's good, but Chris and the boys would have brought that special thing that they bring. This song was written for that thing; it's all over the song.

Hard Advice:
Neat. Not stellar or standout. Clever, even catchy. This song doesn't grab me. That may change with more listens. Right now, it's not one of the songs I'm excited to go hear again. But - at the end - there are these great lyrics about the doll, "don't buy that doll", and my mind immediately goes to At The Fair's lyrics.

Carousel:
I'd be pissed if this were the end of the album. I know it's important to be positive, but I have to say that this doesn't do it for me. The lyrics are good and writing is nice, but I want to hear Stevie's songs. Stevie's point of view and the way she expresses it, is what makes her music so appealing to me. And of course, incredible musicianship. Stevie singing Vanessa's words doesn't interest me at this point in Stevie's career, and of all places, on an album that is promoted as her collection of songs from 'the vault' of unreleased songs.

Thank goodness there are four more songs.

Blue Water:
Off the bat, I worry I'll be bored. It's If You were My Love all over again. Then it gets nice, the song kicks in, I can feel for a brief moment a glimpse back in time to the late 70's. Stevie's vocals here are very relaxed, and she sings this in a way I can't recall her singing in a long time. The guest male vocalist is barely noticeable. he has some lines of his own, but then he passes, and the song is over. Over too soon, honestly. The vocals here are great. Whatever she did the day that this vocal is recorded, is what she should do every day she records a vocal.

Cathouse Blues:
Just like the demo. Just. You can hear Stevie grinning in the opening lyrics. This song turned out very, very well. It's a vignette of sorts, a temporary escape from the normal sounds and moods of the album. I wish Stevie had more of these short escapes on her albums, with which she experimented with short lyrical content or unusual styles and tempos. Like Melacine or Forest of the Black Roses.

The Dealer:
As this song kicks in, It becomes apparent to me the sequencing of this album is unusual. Back to the song, The Dealer sounds great on the stereo. So much better than the computer speakers. The bass is great, and the bridge starts, and then I know before I even do it that I'm going to crank up the volume. Oh year. The only thing, the only criticism, is that this song needs that like 'ahohah' that she used to do in the older versions, right after the bridge, after she says 'I was the card shark.' If you know the Bella Donna versions, you know what I mean.

She Loves Him Still:
I'm sad as this begins, because I know the album is soon to be over. This track sounds nice. The flute...well, I'd say the flute sounds unusual on a Stevie Nicks album, but not out of place entirely. I'd have preferred a harp, but whatever. The end result was nice overall, but it really does lack the desperation and hopelessness of the vocals she delivered for the rock A Little outtakes of this song. They really gave it that Stevie Nicks cred that this newer updated version lacks, somewhat. The 'sands of time' part at the end is nicely done, and the track closes out *perfectly*, ending the song and the album in a way that just makes you want to play it all over again.

Packaging:
I think the white paper sleeves were a cheap-out but they're so common I can't really complain. I wish the liner notes included more information. I'd have liked individual credits by song, including musicians and vocalists. Background stories for each song would have been so cool - all the space that could have carried liner notes was taken up by white paper sleeves. The lyric insert, on glossy paper with color photos, is a nice touch. The gatefold jacket is strdy, and Stevie's hand-lettering stands out beautifully. The polaroid photos shown on the inner gatefold panels are nothing like the artistic lovelies that are on display right now in New York, but are candid personal photos, instead.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Starshine: Good track to open the album. I was never crazy about the demo but this version is nice.

If You Were My Love: Very pretty instrumentation, but something about it seems a little off to me. Not sure if it's the vocal or what, but I do like it.

Mabel Normand: One of, if not THE, best songs on the album for me; which is surprising because while I enjoy the demo in an off-kilter way, I never knew it could reach THIS kind of potential. Amazing!

Twisted: Nicely done, but a third version doesn't feel necessary. Out of the 3 though this one is probably my least favorite.

24 Karat Gold: Probably my favorite of the demos chosen for this album, and it doesn't disappoint! Classic.

Belle Fleur: The intro is a nice touch, never have been a huge fan of this one but it fits in nicely with the rest of the album.

All the Beautiful Worlds: Also one of the best songs here. Lori and Sharon sound exactly the same! And surprisingly Stevie does the vocal justice as well. I was worried when I heard the Instagram clip but it turned out SO well. I've listened to this one the most so far.

Lady: Gorgeous, emotive song, I think it actually sounds a lot better with her older voice. Love the simplicity.

I Don't Care: She wasn't kiddding when she said Led Zeppelin; it reminds me quite a bit of their "Over The Hills and Far Away" in the opening. Great rocking track.

Watch Chain: So happy this one was included. It's very catchy, love it.

Hard Advice: Not bad at all but not one of my favorites, the lyrics are just a taaaaad weird IMO. For some reason I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Stevie and the life-sized cutout at the store. "Don't buy that doll!" Nevertheless, it's a decent song and I'm glad we get to hear it.

Carousel: I wasn't too jazzed to see that Stevie included a cover on an album of her vault songs, but after learning the reason she recorded it, I feel bad It's very pretty though, I think it suits her voice.

Blue Water: Starts off great! But then as others have said it takes a sort of strange direction. I really could have done without the Lady Antebellum vocals.

Cathouse Blues: Very fun song, and while it isn't a masterpiece or super deep in meaning, it's different from anything she's ever done before and I really appreciate that.

The Dealer: Upon first hearing this song my thoughts were "Blah". BUT after repeated listenings, I have to say it's really grown on me. I like the fact that it stays very close to the Bella Donna version.

She Loves Him Still: Hmm... I'm not blown away by it and it does sound a little cheesy at times but I enjoy it for what it is.

Overall I really don't think there's a single bad song on this record. They are all enjoyable in their own ways, and I certainly like this more than In Your Dreams. I'd rate it 8.5 out of 10 and probably place it as my third favorite Stevie album. My only hope is that she decides to record the rest of her vault songs because this project turned out very well. (This is my first post. Hi everyone. )
Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

24 Karat Gold:
I love the guitar in this song. So 80s. So California. The overlapping lyrics are great! I could listen to this all day. On repeat. In the car - yes, that's it. I want to get in the car and drive, nowhere and anywhere. Through the mountains or up the coast or across the desert, with the windows open and the stereo blasting this song.
^^^This is the PERFECT sentiment for this song! I want to drive through the mountains (with the sun setting) with this song on repeat as well!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
(This is my first post. Hi everyone. )
WELCOME!!! I enjoyed reading your review.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Songs I love
If You Were My Love
Hard Advice
The Dealer
24 Karat Gold
She Loves Him Still
Belle Fleur
Twisted
Blue Water

Song I really like
Watch Chain
Beautiuful World
Lady
Starshine
Carousal
Cat House Blues
I Don't Care

Songs I don't like
Mabel Normand
Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, here goes.

First and foremost, how often can one say, I came home tonight, to find a pre-release date vinyl copy of Stevie Nicks' new studio album waiting for me? Truly the best feeling.

Second, big picture: I love this album - I've had two full listens so far, and it's taken me on more of a journey than any of her recent albums have - the vocals are great, the production is pure perfection, and as my husband pointed out as we listened, it's hard to pin down the genre or sound of any given song - a timeless album, in my view - and far more than any of her recent albums.

Third, the track listing - it's so great to get an album that is sequenced specifically for vinyl - I haven't listened to the tracks in the order of the non-deluxe album, but I love how each side is its own EP.

Fourth, as much as I love IYD and TISL, this album works better as a whole, and has very few duds. Despite the variety of musical styles, it feels more like a "Stevie Nicks" album than anything she's done in nearly 30 years. LOVE.

As far as first impressions of the songs:

Starshine - perfect opener. As with Enchanted, I just want to see Stevie shaking her tambourine on stage with this one. And that bridge! Tambourines! Hammond organ! Her vocals are amazing on this - "we've been together..." Amazing.

If Your Were My Love - confession: I've always preferred the Mirage version of this song, but I gotta say, I love what we got here. Her vocals are stellar, the production is perfect, and it has a mystical, witchy sound that the Tusk version (and certainly other versions), lacked. Very pleased.

Mabel Normand - LOVE. Her vocals are awesome. I had never heard the demo before I saw the track listing for this album. And although I didn't dislike the demo, it never quite clicked. I love, love RAL, and this channels the best of that album, while at the same staying focused and smart. Very few artists can pull off a song without a chorus. Amazing. "Since you've been gone, Rome burned down."

Twisted - I always thought that the Twister version was perfection, but I must say, I prefer this version. It straddles the line between the demo and the Buckingham/Nicks version, and I love it. Her voice sounds so young. Happy.

24 Karat Gold - Surpisingly my fav song on the album. I never liked the demo. But wow, this is pure perfection. The vocal, the production, the atmospherics. I have listened to this song more times than I care to admit.

Belle Fleur - One of the demos that I was most excited about. I like this song. Production is stellar, and Stevie's voice is solid. I also like the new opening, and the tempo for the chorus. That said, I don't love, love this song. Frankly, I think my main barrier is knowing how the demo sounds, which is pure perfection.

ATBW - I liked, but never loved, the demo. This song, as released, is perfection. I love her voice - those high notes! She sounds amazing. It's pure '80s, but also timeless. The end of the song is pure perfection. Loving this song.

Lady - As I've said in other posts, I love this song. Her vocals are among the most impassioned we've heard from her in years. And the song itself is so gorgeous. It reminds me so much of a Tom Waits song. And I far prefer this version over the demo - her voice just works on this one.

I Don't Care - LOVE the vocals here. This is the rock-iest album we've received from Stevie since RAL. And I'm loving it. Love the arrangement, the production. Love that she improvised the lyrics - something that I don't believe she's done in quite a long time. Only quibble is that it could be a bit shorter.

Watch Chain - What to say? What a jam. Vocals, lyrics, production - all perfect.

Hard Advice - This song is gorgeous, and I love her vocals on this, too. Lyrics - meh. But I will still listen to it on repeat.

Carousel - Frankly I prefer Vanessa's version, but I still love this version - the harmonies are gorgeous. And the dedication to Stevie's mom in the liner notes is touching. And I gotta say, I disagree with those who say this song doesn't work on this album - I think it fits perfectly.

Blue Water - After reading others' comments about this song, I was concerned. But I actually LOVE it. It's not the demo (nor could it ever have been the demo, because the demo is PERFECT). And because Stevie could never recreate that, I love what's she's done with this song. Still gorgeous harmonies, amazing vocal, and a great blues song. LOVE. LOVE.

Cathouse Blues - Nothing bad can be said about this song. Such a nice diversion before the end of the album. Horns are gorgeous, as are Stevie's vocals. And I can't stop thinking about Stevie's interview, talking about how they aren't "hooker cats," but definitely "street cats." She is truly one of a kind.

The Dealer - I was most excited about this song for the album. I love the various demos. And I really like this song, even if I was initially disappointed with the vocals. Frankly, I think her vocals on this song are the weakest of all of her songs on this album. That said, I still love this song, and somehow it sounds SO MUCH better on vinyl than on mp3. The ending is perfection.

She Loves Him Still - I never knew of this song until recently. I like the demo, and I think the released version is perfectly true to it - her vocals are amazing, and I think it's a gorgeous song. Excited to become more acquainted with it.

Last edited by BlueLight; 09-30-2014 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 AM
Ledgie

Ok ..my resequenced, seriously edited down
idea of the perfect Stevie album

And the version I will share with friends who are casual fans

1: BELLE FLUER

2 : TWISTED

3: THE DEALER

4 : STARSHINE

5 : ALL THE BEAUTIFUL WORLDS

6: 24 KARAT GOLD

7: I DONT CARE

8: WATCH CHAIN

9: MABEL NORMAND

10: HARD ADVICE

11: LADY
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Ledgie

And the EP would look like this :

Belle Fluer
Twisted
STarshine
I Don't care
All the beautiful worlds

Dj tracks would be :

Starshine
I don't Care
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

I just finished my first play of the entire vinyl album and have to say I am thrilled! I feel like this is the album that Bella Donna should have been! I loved the BD album, but 24KG has such a freer spirit to it that I think we are finally seeing Stevie unfiltered. You can feel her really letting loose on some of these tunes with more raw passion than I can remember. I am soooo grateful she went forward with this project!

Here are my quick and brief individual notes for each song:

1. Starshine
Blistering rocker – love the organ solo!

2. If You Were My Love
Love this – the vocal moves me so much and the lilting arrangement is so nice

3. Mabel Normand
Great! Has a real foreboding feel to it that works so well. Really witchy feel to the vocal

4. Twisted
Like that the vocal is so prominent in the mix. Love when she sings “lifted up to God..,”

5. 24 Karat Gold
Classic Stevie arrangement with her signature mystical sound

6. Belle Fleur
This is one of my favorites! !Totally rocks and I love the lyrics

This song was always just OK for me and I still think so

8. Lady
Such an emotional and vulnerable song and sounds better on vinyl

9. I Don't Care
Absolutely rocks!! I can hear the Led Zeppelin influence

10. Watch Chain
Really nice melody and arrangement

11. Hard Advice
I love how this builds into such a rocking conclusion

12. Carousel
I actually liked this version much more than I thought I would. I think having Stevie as the prominent voice brings out a mystical quality in the lyrics that I never noticed on the Vanessa Carlton original.

13. Blue Water
Overall I like it and the vocals, but think the rhythm section is too heavy handed for this song

14. Cathouse Blues
Nice variation from the other tunes and enjoy Stevie’s vocal

15. The Dealer
A solid, mid-tempo rocker and also sounds great on vinyl

16. She Loves Him Still
So glad to finally hear the full version of this after being concerned about the Instagram snippet. Love her vocal on this and the arrangement is just right. Great way to end the album!