User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

In her world there are only two kinds of music. Upbeat songs and depressing songs. This makes sharing music with her a tortuous affair. She loves Stevie Nicks (so she has said for the last 22 years) but cannot bear two-thirds of her catalog because it's 'depressing'.

One of the things that I love about Christine's songs is that many sound upbeat, but they contain darkness. It adds to their complexity. Say You Love Me being the prime example, but this is true of Little Lies as well. Hold Me, Think About Me. When the message of yearning is combined with a joyous beat, it somehow brings home the tenuous nature of the relationship. Like, "this is what can be lost." When you've glimpsed the sun, it makes you more afraid of the dark.

Michele
Old 10-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose we all listen to music in different ways. When I play a record or CD, I listen to it in it's entirety, as a complete work. There may be songs that hold more appeal than others.

Of course there are songs that I will favor more than others, but I find my peace with all of them after repeated listening.I just accept more more challenging ones as part of the body of work, like the odd relatives at a family gathering. (When I See You Again comes to mind!)

There's hardly ever a breaking point where I would find something so insufferable or offensive that I feel the need to skip, flee and escape a perceived sonic assault for fear of ocular injury or abject boredom.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I suppose we all listen to music in different ways. When I play a record or CD, I listen to it in it's entirety, as a complete work. There may be songs that hold more appeal than others.

Of course there are songs that I will favor more than others, but I find my peace with all of them after repeated listening.I just accept more more challenging ones as part of the body of work, like the odd relatives at a family gathering. (When I See You Again comes to mind!)

There's hardly ever a breaking point where I would find something so insufferable or offensive that I feel the need to skip, flee and escape a perceived sonic assault for fear of ocular injury or abject boredom.
I'm quite different. I always hope that albums come out with 14-16 songs so that I can trim them down to the 10-12 that I totally love. I don't do this very often with Stevie's albums, just because I really like nearly all her songs, but its my usual method.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

Stevie fans would doom us all if they ever had to agree on stuff like this in order to save the world.
agreement is so mainstream
much more interesting when pretty much no-one agrees about anything here
Old 10-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tried listening to this last week....couldn't even get through the first song. Her voice and choice of songs just rub me the wrong way. Definitely my least favorite solo album. I'm happy never to hear it again.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So hard to believe it's been 13 years already! A lot has happened and changed in the world and in my own world since then. I also take a CD in it's entirety rather than song by song. I can't listen to TISL anymore because of all the trauma that happened in our world during that time and my father was dying then too. Nothing against anything, it's just the way I'm wired. I've tried a few times since then, but still get an overwhelming sense of dread and sadness when I listen to many of those songs. It's awful. I've had 24K Gold in constant rotation since it came out. I really love Blue Water. This album hasn't had time to "grow on me" like most Stevie albums tend to do. I still really love In Your Dreams, which didn't take nearly as long to grow on me as other Stevie albums.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
So hard to believe it's been 13 years already! A lot has happened and changed in the world and in my own world since then. I also take a CD in it's entirety rather than song by song. I can't listen to TISL anymore because of all the trauma that happened in our world during that time and my father was dying then too. Nothing against anything, it's just the way I'm wired. I've tried a few times since then, but still get an overwhelming sense of dread and sadness when I listen to many of those songs. It's awful. I've had 24K Gold in constant rotation since it came out. I really love Blue Water. This album hasn't had time to "grow on me" like most Stevie albums tend to do. I still really love In Your Dreams, which didn't take nearly as long to grow on me as other Stevie albums.
I hear what your saying about how the world has changed as I guess really all of US here on this form have changed in those yrs since TISL was released those many years ago (and gotten older too). I do recall that I was excited because it was something new from Stevie since Street Angel, Dance, Enchanted so it was great at the time and well I'd made a cassette tape (YES a cassette tape ) of different versions and the extended Planets etc. to play on my 2nd trip to Las Vegas in late August. I recall listening to it on the plane ride out and it was great to hear. Stevie was suppose to play the Aladdin Hotel in Vegas but it was after I'd left. I'm not even sure if she did play that concert. I did see her for the tour with Sheryl Crow @ DTE here I think it was in early July. It was a great concert. (But still will love the Street Angel tour since that's when I'd saw her first time solo but with Mac before in 90 for the Mask tour). Than 9/11 happened and well I don't think I really listened to music or enjoyed much of anything for maybe 5 or 6 months really. I was in shock and afraid. Life changed than and we must never forget never. I didn't know anyone affected but we are all people and it was heart wrenching for all those that lost someone than. Time does pass and life does go on but it was a time that was hard. I really haven't listened to Trouble in awhile, I guess I need to start listening to some of the solo LP's again. Sometimes I just need a break. We talk about music being dated but I guess all of it really is. If you love it the date or the datedness of it doesn't really matter. It's what you like. Enjoy it for what it is. Some thoughts.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."