Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:00 AM
Ledgie

Default 'Mirage' album discussion podcast

Hey all,

For anyone interested here is our 'Mirage' discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjeZu4bna2E

I love reading everyone's comments after I post these - it's so interesting how different things speak to different people.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but I wanted to ask if you intend to cover Behind the Mask. I figure you’re covering the FM albums in order, so Tango will likely be next, but I hope you’ll be doing BTM as well.

Also, have you considered covering Enchanted, only skipping the songs that appeared on her previous albums? That way you wouldn’t be covering old ground, yet still be discussing some of her other classics, like Blue Lamp, Whenever I Call You Friend, Sleeping Angel, etc. just something to think about. Thanks for entertaining us with these album discussions!
Old 08-08-2022, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but I wanted to ask if you intend to cover Behind the Mask. I figure you’re covering the FM albums in order, so Tango will likely be next, but I hope you’ll be doing BTM as well.

Also, have you considered covering Enchanted, only skipping the songs that appeared on her previous albums? That way you wouldn’t be covering old ground, yet still be discussing some of her other classics, like Blue Lamp, Whenever I Call You Friend, Sleeping Angel, etc. just something to think about. Thanks for entertaining us with these album discussions!
Your $tevie slip is showing....
Old 08-08-2022, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Your $tevie slip is showing....
I don’t wear slips… I go bare

Jeremy and the crew only do Stevie material, which is why I suggested Enchanted. But I’d watch if they did Christine’s or Lindsey’s albums (well, at least two of his albums, anyway).
Old 08-08-2022, 08:29 AM
Ledgie

Hey!! I LOVE "Behind The Mask" so that's definitely in the line-up. "Time" will be a skip :P

I think we did cover the "Enchanted" songs on the last Stevie episode that went through the comps and live albums!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETltiLHRLAc&t=2s

I love Christine as much as Stevie - so one day I'd love to tackle her three solo albums. I have all of Lindsey's solo albums but only really know "Law And Order" and "Go Insane" - I know everyone looks at "Out Of The Cradle" as a masterpiece but it never grabbed me. I'll try again one day and maybe it will.

I'm a huge fan of the pre-BN stuff - huge Danny Kirwan fan - I actually love his three solo albums too - especially "Second Chapter" - but "Midnight In San Juan" had some really really great songs too.

I love Bob Welch's first solo album too and love every album he did with the Mac.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for the video, Jeremy and collaborators. I have only seen half so far but it's a fun listen as usual.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very entertaining discussion, as usual. I was very happy to hear Roland mention how good Straight Back was on the Fleetwood Mac tribute cd- a band called Washed Up performed it and it is incredible! I was actually hoping someone would mention it because it’s that good.

I also agree with Jeremy that Eyes of the World might have been a good single. One thing about Eyes of the World- it really sounds so much like Second Hand News, and I would say Lindsey agrees, because not only has he never sang those songs on the same tour, but for one tour he replaced Eyes of the World WITH Second Hand News. I love both songs, so I don’t mind the similarities at all.

Nice to see Book of Love and Love in Store get some, well, love. Both are very catchy tunes.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also agree with Jeremy that Eyes of the World might have been a good single. One thing about Eyes of the World- it really sounds so much like Second Hand News, and I would say Lindsey agrees, because not only has he never sang those songs on the same tour, but for one tour he replaced Eyes of the World WITH Second Hand News.
Is it the drumming that's the same?

Eyes of the World and Second Hand News were played in the same set on the Say You Will Tour and Live 2013.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Is it the drumming that's the same?

Eyes of the World and Second Hand News were played in the same set on the Say You Will Tour and Live 2013.
You’re right- when I saw them on opening night of that tour, they didn’t perform Second Hand News, just Eyes of the World. The next night, they added SHN. However, halfway through the tour or so, they dropped Eyes of the World and replaced it with I Know I’m Not Wrong, a song I also think is similar to the other two.

It’s not that I think that Second Hand News and Eyes of the World just sound alike, more that they are similar in mood and execution, with the guitar playing and background vocals- whatever they’re singing after the chorus of SHN “bown bown bown” is similar to EYES “ooh ooh ooh.” The structures of the songs are very much similar, both very upbeat. I like them both a lot, but I don’t know that both belong on the same set list. But I’ve said that for years about Gold Dust Woman and Rhiannon, so what do I know.

Just to be clear, I love Second Hand News, Eyes of the World, and I Know I’m Not Wrong- I just think their structures are very similar to each other, especially with what they sing after each chorus.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You’re right- when I saw them on opening night of that tour, they didn’t perform Second Hand News, just Eyes of the World. The next night, they added SHN. However, halfway through the tour or so, they dropped Eyes of the World and replaced it with I Know I’m Not Wrong, a song I also think is similar to the other two.
I like Eyes of the World live so much more than the album version.
They actually replaced Eyes with I Know I'm Not Wrong and Gypsy with Sara a year after the tour started. I think IKINW had never been played on tour before and Sara at that time hadn't been played since Tango Tour?
Old 08-14-2022, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I like Eyes of the World live so much more than the album version.
They actually replaced Eyes with I Know I'm Not Wrong and Gypsy with Sara a year after the tour started. I think IKINW had never been played on tour before and Sara at that time hadn't been played since Tango Tour?
And unfortunately Sara was only played in Europe in 1988. There has never been a recording produced either I dont think. I always wanted to hear Sara with Rick and Billy. When I saw it in the setlist in Europe I was floored!

Edit: I checked the setlists and Sara was only played in a few stops. Birmingham and Scotland and half of the Wembley Arena shows.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-14-2022 at 02:43 PM..
Old 08-14-2022, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
And unfortunately Sara was only played in Europe in 1988. There has never been a recording produced either I dont think. I always wanted to hear Sara with Rick and Billy. When I saw it in the setlist in Europe I was floored!

Edit: I checked the setlists and Sara was only played in a few stops. Birmingham and Scotland and half of the Wembley Arena shows.
The Dance tour also had Eyes played the very first night and then changed with SHN for the second show - to remain there for the rest of the tour.

I think those SYW Tour changes with IKINW and Sara happened with the 2004 leg. They changed the set up a bit when they came back to the US. Don’t Let Me Down Again got a one off appearance and Lindsey threw Red Rover in as well.

I’m pretty sure Sara was played throughout the 1988 shows they did. I’ve heard exactly one recording and I think it was one of those radio broadcasts they used to do. I want to say from Germany but don’t hold me to that. Somewhere I have an external hard drive with all those old bootlegs that used to get shared on fmlegacy and a few other sites that I’ve long forgotten about!

Some of the records of set lists for Fleetwood Mac in the 1987-90 years have been wonky on the internet for decades. I’ve seen sets claiming Go Your Own Way was not played which seems incredibly unlikely. And of course my favorite is the whackadoo claim that some dope put out there that they opened a 1990 show in New Jersey with Sara. That never happened - there’s literally zero chance. I think setlist.fm continues to perpetuate this and I swear this came from some alt.music.Fleetwood-Mac post without any credibility or backup and was accepted as fact.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
The Dance tour also had Eyes played the very first night and then changed with SHN for the second show - to remain there for the rest of the tour.

I think those SYW Tour changes with IKINW and Sara happened with the 2004 leg. They changed the set up a bit when they came back to the US. Don’t Let Me Down Again got a one off appearance and Lindsey threw Red Rover in as well.

I’m pretty sure Sara was played throughout the 1988 shows they did. I’ve heard exactly one recording and I think it was one of those radio broadcasts they used to do. I want to say from Germany but don’t hold me to that. Somewhere I have an external hard drive with all those old bootlegs that used to get shared on fmlegacy and a few other sites that I’ve long forgotten about!

Some of the records of set lists for Fleetwood Mac in the 1987-90 years have been wonky on the internet for decades. I’ve seen sets claiming Go Your Own Way was not played which seems incredibly unlikely. And of course my favorite is the whackadoo claim that some dope put out there that they opened a 1990 show in New Jersey with Sara. That never happened - there’s literally zero chance. I think setlist.fm continues to perpetuate this and I swear this came from some alt.music.Fleetwood-Mac post without any credibility or backup and was accepted as fact.
Yes I remember the New Jersey urban legend. It was never on a setlist website but something reported online by a fan. That had traction until the show had a recording and setlist and found out that never happened. If they were going to throw Sara in a show, it would not be an opener.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes I remember the New Jersey urban legend. It was never on a setlist website but something reported online by a fan. That had traction until the show had a recording and setlist and found out that never happened. If they were going to throw Sara in a show, it would not be an opener.
Exactly. It made no sense. And then just wrap up Sara and then go right back to The Chain and the normal set. Not sure where people get the idea to spread that type of nonsense.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I also agree with Jeremy that Eyes of the World might have been a good single. One thing about Eyes of the World- it really sounds so much like Second Hand News, and I would say Lindsey agrees, because not only has he never sang those songs on the same tour, but for one tour he replaced Eyes of the World WITH Second Hand News. I love both songs, so I don’t mind the similarities at all.

Nice to see Book of Love and Love in Store get some, well, love. Both are very catchy tunes.
Interesting, I never noticed this until you mentioned it. Yes, those two songs are definitely working in the same idiom. Not identical twins but certainly siblings with similar features. As much as I love EOTW on the album, the live performance of it on the Mirage concert video is so much more exciting because the whole band is working together. You can hear Christine’s sparkling keyboards, Stevie’s raw and rowdy harmonies—it’s just so exciting. The studio version misses the opportunity to bring in the three-part harmonies. It’s another case of Lindsey’s desire to do a quasi-solo album within a FM record.

Love in Store is the perfect opener. Never has Stevie’s presence on a Christine song lifted the tune from pleasant to such incredible pop heights. The simple, effective guitar and the throbbing rhythm section make a perfect setting for this ditty. LIS has never gotten its due. Had it been a video, it likely would have made a more lasting impression.

I really wish the band had included its after-hours, bluesy rendition of Beauty and the Beast. As impressive as it is closing THE WILD HEART, the FM version taps into something earthier, an experience more connected to sex and the body. They should have dumped Oh Diane.

Each of the writers should have had four songs each. Would never happen in Lindsey world.