Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stand Back 1981-2017 Disc 2

I’m listening to disc 2 of this greatest hits album which is the duets of her career. I always loved when Stevie sings with others. Listening to the disc in the sequence as released is amazing. She does some fantastic harmonies.

Last edited by BLY; 01-19-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I’m listening to disc 2 of this greatest hits album which is the duets of her career. I always loved when Stevie sings with others. Listening to the disc in the sequence as released is amazing. She does some fantastic harmonies.
I feel the same way. "I Will Run To You" is such a great song. Should have been a single.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I feel the same way. "I Will Run To You" is such a great song. Should have been a single.

Yes! I do love the vocal on that one. I like all the tunes when Stevie sings on back vocals and harmonies. It’s probably also while I have never been a fan of Lori or Sharon on the studio recordings. It’s ok in the live shows but I prefer Stevie harmonizing with herself.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Yeah, I was confused it was not the third single from Wild Heart esp since SDMHA with Tom was her biggest solo hit of her career.
Could You imagine if they had a video set ready to go with the song during the peak age of MTV. Would have been a solid hit especially on the rock stations.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yeah, I was confused it was not the third single from Wild Heart esp since SDMHA with Tom was her biggest solo hit of her career.
Could You imagine if they had a video set ready to go with the song during the peak age of MTV. Would have been a solid hit especially on the rock stations.

Yes but if you remember the success and airplay of SDMHA kept the radio stations from playing Petty’s singles at the time. There was no way they were going to release IWRTY as a single.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes but if you remember the success and airplay of SDMHA kept the radio stations from playing Petty’s singles at the time. There was no way they were going to release IWRTY as a single.
Sorry but that is a bridge too far. This was late 1983 and Petty could have used some airplay. You are speaking in 1981 where Petty felt their best song given to Stevie hurt their album.
Completely different in late 1983. The third single from WH was peaking in Feb 1984. Petty had no singles in sight since Long After Dark was released in late 1982.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tom may have not signed off on it.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:40 PM
cbBen
This message has been deleted by cbBen.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True, but in mid-'83 Petty didn't have competing material out or even on the horizon.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like all the tunes when Stevie sings on back vocals and harmonies. It’s probably also while I have never been a fan of Lori or Sharon on the studio recordings. It’s ok in the live shows but I prefer Stevie harmonizing with herself.
I agree. Her voice is one-of-a-kind and should be utilized as much as possible. I would however say "I Can't Wait' is an exception to this rule. The backing vocals make the song.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry but that is a bridge too far. This was late 1983 and Petty could have used some airplay. You are speaking in 1981 where Petty felt their best song given to Stevie hurt their album.
Completely different in late 1983. The third single from WH was peaking in Feb 1984. Petty had no singles in sight since Long After Dark was released in late 1982.

Stand corrected. My head was in 1981. I’m still not sure if it would have been a good call in 83. Who knows? Everything Stevie sang those days seem to turn to “Gold”
Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess you can say I was "lucky" enough to watch Tom and Stevie sing I Will Run To You in person at least two times in my life. I've never been a huge fan of that song. If I was playing the vinyl, I would let it spin thru every song but nowadays I always skip over it when I play the CD. Not sure if it would have made a great single at that time.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tom may have not signed off on it.
Nah, I think its been talked about before that the guy at Stevie's record company regretted picking Nightbird as the 3rd single and publicly stated they could have sold a half million more albums or something like that.
Fishkin states they purposely marketed Stevie as a rocker for Bella Donna. When I listen to the Wild Heart reissued demos and takes, its clear Iovine wanted a more commercial album and safe. IMHO, if they still marketed Stevie as a rocker, IMHO the Wild Heart would have been more successful.
I actually think Enchanted or Nothing Ever Changes should have been the 3rd single. However back in 1983 I was expecting I will run to you. Its not the catchiest tune which is why I would have picked anything else but Nightbird.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nah, I think its been talked about before that the guy at Stevie's record company regretted picking Nightbird as the 3rd single and publicly stated they could have sold a half million more albums or something like that.
Fishkin states they purposely marketed Stevie as a rocker for Bella Donna. When I listen to the Wild Heart reissued demos and takes, its clear Iovine wanted a more commercial album and safe. IMHO, if they still marketed Stevie as a rocker, IMHO the Wild Heart would have been more successful.
I actually think Enchanted or Nothing Ever Changes should have been the 3rd single. However back in 1983 I was expecting I will run to you. Its not the catchiest tune which is why I would have picked anything else but Nightbird.
"Enchanted" a great choice.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love Nightbird, though, for me it is a classic Stevie composition. I am not a Stevie-as-rocker fan, so it seemed perfectly radio-friendly to me.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Enchanted" a great choice.
I remember People magazine reviewing it, and mocking her arrhythmic count off at the beginning of Enchanted.