Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Who is Bonnie Caryn?
Sorry, I've no idea either Just happened to come across that post somewhere on Twitter...
Old 04-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Good God, the drama of these people. Has the band forgotten what happened the last time they fired Lindsey? It's been 30 years, but I still remember, and it wasn't pretty.

Like some posters above I am beyond tired of the nonstop soap opera, which seems to occupy the band's attention nowadays more than the making of actual music. If this is true my FM CDs are done for.
I’m with you. I find the constant soap opera of these guys to just be ridiculous. They’re all almost in their 70’s - I can’t even believe they’d consider going on under the Fleetwood Mac name with a LB replacement at this point. What is the point? No new music - another tour with a replacement guitar player? We’re 15 years beyond doing Say You Will without Christine. I just can’t even imagine this happening with any success. Another replacement playing and singing GYOW and probably some other of his songs. It wasn’t that great 30 years ago and it wouldn’t be that good now. Love Chris and Stevie but I just can’t see them carrying the show and filling all of the voids that would be left by Lindsey.

Maybe they figure if the Eagles can go on without Glenn then The Mac can do it without LB.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
If you're waiting for an explanation from a band who clearly has one of the most poorly handled PR in the world, then I guess you will have to stick with your idea of what really happened.
After all these years, I know fully well that when it comes to FM even the "truth" should be taken with a grain of salt...
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Sorry, I've no idea either Just happened to come across that post somewhere on Twitter...
She runs a Stevie/FM (mostly Stevie) merch buying and selling group on Facebook.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
She runs a Stevie/FM (mostly Stevie) merch buying and selling group on Facebook.
ah...so nobody of any significance then? Just somebody looking to spread BS.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey might have lost his temper with Stevie and her rambling on and on about Tom petty and acting like that’s the band she wanted to be in all these years when she had a perfectly good band of her own and someone to produce her songs and make them beautiful. She’s been increasingly ungrateful and bitter as the years go by. The whole woman scorned shtick is soooooo old and maybe when she was 49 in 1998 it was cute but now it’s just sad. Lindsey can make music with Christine again or solo and Fleetwood Mac is just a touring cash cow. As if Lindsey needs more money. The last four weeks or five tours and royalty’s alone what more could he want? He couldn’t Spears all his money if he tried

I’m glad I saw the Classic 5 Fleetwood Mac in 2015 before the end. If this is the end. Again. Not sure there’s enough life left in them to make a comeback.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh God, it's exhausting. I'm a Stones fan too and even they don't have these ridiculous levels of drama. To be honest, if they're all really so unhappy in each other's company, they should split up - I'm fed up with watching them pretend they love each other.

40+ years since Rumours, and hardly any significant new music from the band compared to most other groups in that time... I love them so much but I have pretty much run out of energy to keep up with the melodrama.

If there isn't going to be any new music - from the five of them - then they should call it a day.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Oh God, it's exhausting. I'm a Stones fan too and even they don't have these ridiculous levels of drama. To be honest, if they're all really so unhappy in each other's company, they should split up - I'm fed up with watching them pretend they love each other.

40+ years since Rumours, and hardly any significant new music from the band compared to most other groups in that time... I love them so much but I have pretty much run out of energy to keep up with the melodrama.

If there isn't going to be any new music - from the five of them - then they should call it a day.

Logically we shouldn't be fans of this band. But its an addiction; We know we aren't going to get as much satisfaction as we are hoping for but we just cant walk away from it- no matter how hard you try, you always get pulled back.

BTW, I just can't believe Christine would have gone along with an ousting of Lindsey. Those two are musical BFF's.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no idea wtf is going on with this band. Something about this story doesn't register correctly... I think there are gaping holes in the story. Let's recap what's been said:

1)ok so supposedly Lindsey pitched a fit at a show. This is not inconceivable. He apparently did it backstage (onstage would be unforgivable), and the show went on as it should have. So that can not, to me, be a reason for them to split up. Have your same old fights over it all and move on.

2) Then I've heard, no, what really did it was a fight over the Lindsey solo tour and his asking them to maybe somehow adjust the FM tour so he can still support his solo tour. Reportedly the band didn't want to be flexible about it, and knowing how Lindsey feels about loyalty etc, clearly that could set him off and cause a band spat. I can see some sort of spat where Stevie plays her same old card of threatening not to tour. (Think of the spat they had after recording SYW over the double/single album thing and Stevie threatening not to tour and LB giving in because a short tour meant less money). I can see this making Mick nervous because again, less money without her. I can see Lindsey saying to Mick, why don't you back ME up instead of capitulating to her threats? I mean, this is not a new argument for this band either; god knows how many times they must have had it.

So what I can't make fit is how it goes from either one or both of these situations to Lindsey leaving the band, and, furthermore, leaving not in an "I quit because you don't support me!" way on his part (which you could sorta make a case for) but in a "You're fired!" way from Mick. I just don't see that. First of all, I don't think Mick has the singular authority to just fire anyone in the band. It would have to be a group decision...so, yes I can see him being the one the others make be the bearer of the bad news to LB..... but so far I still haven't heard anything that rings like a true cause for that to even happen in the first place.

On a personal note, I will say that if this is true: I've loved this band forever, and think these people are (mostly) great individually. I have followed all of them forever as a band and as solo artists. For them to splinter now, and in this way, would be, frankly, disgusting. A shameful indication of their lack of maturity, lack of professionalism and lack of humility. It's a slap in the face to everything and everyone that put them on top. It is the most incredibly undignified way to go out. I love Mike Campbell, but that is NOT Fleetwood Mac, that's a golden oldies lounge act and I wouldn't spend a nickel to see them.

But even having said THAT, I still am waiting to hear more info. that convinces me the firing bit is real. The fighting part is totally believable, of course.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-07-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycondit View Post
Hi all,

What a strange world we live in! I first heard about in an email from Twitter today suggesting I check out my "highlights" from people I follow. The phrase "Lindsey Buckingham got the axe" caught my attention!

I wonder how to verify the news on Twitter? Who are the sources of the info? None of the people seem even remotely close to the band. "Murrow Must be Turning Over in His Grave" to paraphrase a certain song!

I couldn't imagine Lindsey choosing to leave at this point in his career with FM. As Elle said, he has literally written a love song to FM and spoke highly of them at Classic West, all the Buck/Mcvie shows, and Music Cares. It seemed that he has come to a sense of peace about the financial rewards of being in FM and the multi-generational appeal and appreciation of the music.

I can't imagine Lindsey getting "fired"/asked to leave. What would he have had to have done this time to warrant that? If he didn't get fired in 1987 after the infamous physical altercation, I can't imagine what he would have done now for that to occur. If Lindsey's solo work held up the band's 2018 touring plans, it would not be the first time that a band member's solo plans interfered with the full band's touring schedule. When Stevie extended "In Your Dreams" and opted not to record with them recently, she certainly was not outsted. So, on the surface this does not make sense.

There would have to be some kind of wild behind the scenes story now, but their current lives don't seem to be fueled by drugs and erratic behavior.

It's a "Mystery to Me'". I hope everyone doesn't mind my silly song titles in this post which has me truly worried.

What with the lack of news about the Sirius, LB's solo album/tour, and FM tour, all the radio silence since February has made me nervous. I feel lucky and blessed that in 2017 I was able to go to Classic West, see Buckingham/McVie at the Greek Theater and in Minneapolis, manage to get a ticket to see their panel at the Grammy Museum, and see Stevie at the MN State Fair. With an embarrassment of riches like that, it would be sad if it were to end by an unpleasant circumstance. It seems that although they have their tensions, they have managed to override all that in order to carry on in recent years.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see---which is no fun. Of course, I turned to this forum right away as this is where all the people who are in the know reside!

Best to everyone here (Hi Elle!),
Amy
Totally agree with you amycondit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And there it is. Stevie honestly can't stand Lindsey Buckingham. A lot of people want to live in a fantasy world where SN/LB are still in love.. But, she does not want anything to do with him. Yes, they were a couple IN 1973!!! wE GET IT.

Wake up people.
Yeah, the continuing delusion about their relationship baffles me. I love her but I don't believe all her babble in interviews "sometimes, she's an actress/but you'll never really know..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Billy Burnette clarified his comments. This has happened recently. Mick told him they threw Lindsey out.
What was his clarification?? Can someone repeat it here or provide a link?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out!
New line up to be announced soon and I'm not in it????? A little pissed off but I'll get over it. Good luck FLEETWOOD MAC
It's all in the book www.billyburnette.net/store"

Am I being a bit thick here, but hasn't Billy's book been out for a while? Is he honestly suggesting there's going to be a revised edition in which he is supposedly going to scoop this? I don't believe that it is credible in the slightest that this is relating to the present day Mac.

It's a come-on to try and flog a few copies ,highlighting his joining the band ..in 1987 maybe things weren't clear as to what had happened re Lindsey and others were considered before Billy got the nod... as he had worked with Mick and was friends with Lindsey he might have initially thought he would be an obvious choice, but was confirmed a little later after some umming an aahing over other potential replacements.

Has anyone actually read Billy's book?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Billy Burnette's vague Facebook update, suggesting that Lindsey Buckingham was out of the band, and Mick's cryptic Facebook/Twitter post "Where words fail, music speaks," this continued to fuel the speculation that something's askew. Some fans think Billy's comments were trying to generate buzz for his new book.

Anyway, that's what I've heard. I know some people don't like to discuss things that are unconfirmed, which is respectable. Some people do, and that's fine too. It's great that we have a variety of places where we can get the type of information we want to read these
I just wanted to say I don't believe for a second Billy Burnette started this rumor, especially to generate buzz for his new book. For one thing, "his new book" was released over a year ago so the timing is way off. Even his last album was released in October 2017, I think. Again, weird timing if Billy was trying to start rumors to promote his book or album.

Second, whether you liked Billy and Rick Vito when they were in FM or not, they have always been classy, respectful guys, both to Lindsey when he left the band and to FM when they left or were asked to leave. Billy's book was also incredibly respectful of FM and the individual members. So no way is he trying to use this crazy situation to promote his career. I am quite certain if he was doing that, he would have no trouble getting Rolling Stone or People or Yahoo or MSN on the phone to talk about what's going on with FM, or at least what he may know.

Frankly, I'm confused. If it weren't for this board, I wouldn't be aware there were any rumors at all. I guess we should be thankful Billy at least gave the heads up something seems to be off in FM Land.

BTW SpyNote, this post wasn't directed to you specifically. I think it's natural for everyone to speculate why Billy posted his comments. Your post was well written and appreciated for the calm, rational tone you used.

Last edited by bwboy; 04-06-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
"Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out!
New line up to be announced soon and I'm not in it????? A little pissed off but I'll get over it. Good luck FLEETWOOD MAC
It's all in the book www.billyburnette.net/store"

Am I being a bit thick here, but hasn't Billy's book been out for a while? Is he honestly suggesting there's going to be a revised edition in which he is supposedly going to scoop this? I don't believe that it is credible in the slightest that this is relating to the present day Mac.

It's a come-on to try and flog a few copies ,highlighting his joining the band ..in 1987 maybe things weren't clear as to what had happened re Lindsey and others were considered before Billy got the nod... as he had worked with Mick and was friends with Lindsey he might have initially thought he would be an obvious choice, but was confirmed a little later after some umming an aahing over other potential replacements.

Has anyone actually read Billy's book?

Yeah, I've read it. Its a bit all over the place (and has so many mistakes) but generally it was quite interesting to read. Billy's had an interesting and varied career.

Page 110
I was in the studio with Roy Orbison while he was recording 'Dream You'. I got a note to phone home. I called my wife, Chris who said, 'Call Mick Fleetwood, he needs to talk to you'. I returned the call to Mick and he asked if I wanted to join the band and I said, 'What?' He said 'Yeah, Stevie and Lindsey just got into it and we need you to join the band tomorrow morning.

I dont think Billy was specifically saying you can read about Lindsey's firing in his book. I think 'It's all in the book' is just a standard line he adds to many/most of his tweets.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
On a personal note, I will say that if this is true: I've loved this band forever, and think these people are (mostly) great individually. I have followed all of them forever as a band and as solo artists. For them to splinter now, and in this way, would be, frankly, disgusting. A shameful indictment of their lack of maturity, lack of professionalism and lack of humility. It's a slap in the face to everything and everyone that put them on top. It is the most incredibly undignified way to go out. I love Mike Campbell, but that is NOT Fleetwood Mac, that's a golden oldies lounge act and I wouldn't spend a nickel to see them.

But even having said THAT, I still am waiting to hear more info. that convinces me the firing bit is real. The fighting part is totally believable, of course.
Well said, particularly about the maturity and professionalism......this is embarrassing and childish....surely as 70 year olds you can play nicely and get your **** together.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can buy Lindsey quitting but Mick firing him? Destroying the cash cow that is the Rumours 5? Surely not...

I hope to death this is not true. With Lindsey, Fleetwood Mac is my favorite band. Without him, I'm not even interested.

My heart would be shattered if my favorite band fell apart especially now, at the end.