Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://sparkpeople.com/

One of my friends just directed me to this site. I joined (free of charge) and am really going to try and do this. I even found a core exercise.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
http://sparkpeople.com/

One of my friends just directed me to this site. I joined (free of charge) and am really going to try and do this. I even found a core exercise.
I'm glad to hear that! Hopefully, you can strengthen and stretch your lower back (part of your core) and it will help your overall back health. It is important for your stomach and lower/mid back to be equally strong.
It would be nice if you could find some yoga that is actually very gentle, because it will help you. You just found a class not appropriate for you. Keep looking!! The benefits of stretching your muscles and tendons and toning your organs is immeasurable. Except when they measure it and find out it helps so much that everyone should do it. You can find gentle yoga stretches online, as well, just so you know. I found a video sequence for my arms just the other day.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
I'm glad to hear that! Hopefully, you can strengthen and stretch your lower back (part of your core) and it will help your overall back health. It is important for your stomach and lower/mid back to be equally strong.
It would be nice if you could find some yoga that is actually very gentle, because it will help you. You just found a class not appropriate for you. Keep looking!! The benefits of stretching your muscles and tendons and toning your organs is immeasurable. Except when they measure it and find out it helps so much that everyone should do it. You can find gentle yoga stretches online, as well, just so you know. I found a video sequence for my arms just the other day.
I was just so disappointed in Yoga. I know it was just my own experience, but I was really excited about FINALLY trying it. The instructor was even one of my previous physical therapists from the last time I had a serious back injury. She tried to look out for me during yoga class (altering certain poses for me, etc) but it was just too much. We would all get into a pose and I would hear people sighing in relief at how good it felt; like, "aaaaaaaah." And I was like , uh, ow. Once I get settled into this semester, I may try to find another yoga place and see if I can find a gentle yoga during a time frame I can manage. I know that if I could do it correctly, it would be hugely beneficial for me.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I was just so disappointed in Yoga. I know it was just my own experience, but I was really excited about FINALLY trying it. The instructor was even one of my previous physical therapists from the last time I had a serious back injury. She tried to look out for me during yoga class (altering certain poses for me, etc) but it was just too much. We would all get into a pose and I would hear people sighing in relief at how good it felt; like, "aaaaaaaah." And I was like , uh, ow. Once I get settled into this semester, I may try to find another yoga place and see if I can find a gentle yoga during a time frame I can manage. I know that if I could do it correctly, it would be hugely beneficial for me.
Well, you have a good attitude. I've been to some sucky yoga classes, too, and had things be too challenging. The reason why I suggested looking for sequences online is that you have time to breathe and relax into the pose at your own pace, and you don't have to do it if it is too challenging. You should read some about yoga, too. Sometimes if the poses move too fast, I find myself getting tense and trying to reach the pose, instead of breathing into the pose and the muscles, and letting my breath relax me into the pose, at my comfort level. This is the opposite of everything that should happen. The point of yoga is breathing, really, and allowing your body to follow as it can into that breath and pose.
I like slow yoga, you probably would, too. My lungs are bad, and my muscles are incredibly tight, so for the most part I need a lot of time to breathe and sink into the pose in a real way, where each breath opens my body more into the pose. That is what you need, or you are not doing good yoga. The point is to bring your breath and awareness into your body to loosen it, and that can take time. Especially to get your breath to the tight parts that hurt the most, and let those muscles relax. It works, though. I literally have to imagine breathing white light breath into those painful areas, and at the same time relax as much as possible to deepen the pose. And you have to breath through your whole body, from your diaphragm, while relaxing your shoulders and chest and jaw and everything else, just letting the proper muscles do the breathing. That is hard for me as well, as I tend to tense my shoulders/neck/throat/jaw while breathing. Your jaw doesn't breathe, your diaphragm and lungs do. The whole thing is hard for me, I have to light candles, darken the room, drink relaxing tea, etc. So don't be discouraged.

Anyway, my point is that it is very important to find that pace for yourself, the one where you have time to breathe deeply, relax your body, and loosen into the pose at your breathing pace, without strain. I find that alone challenging. Your mind has to be calm, you have to be aware of your body to breathe and align it properly. Of course, all this deep breathing and calm and breath into your muscles is the whole point. Even just deep breathing alone is incredibly beneficial.

I hope this doesn't sound bad to you, and I have done it - yoga for seniors can be very good for those who want a slower pace and have pain or are less flexible and strong. I must say, though, it is important to learn the proper alignment of your body for the poses, so hopefully you can find a good teacher, or read/watch enough to understand the precise movements that are beneficial. When you just try to force yourself into a pose, without breathing and being conscious of alignment, that is very bad, and the opposite of what yoga should feel like.

Sorry so long. I totally read about this too much. Overexplanation is my specialty. I should hang out with Linds, we would never stop talking, or finding unnecessary additional ways to explain things - "Yoga is more like painting a picture...it goes in cycles..."
Which reminds me, I would recommend yoga magazine to you without reservation.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-20-2007 at 09:08 PM..
Old 09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Word to the wise - not a great idea to try to start doing yoga during a current inflammation/injury. I was about 3 minutes in to the video & had to stop because I was in so much pain. Maybe when I'm feeling better, but for now, yoga's on hold for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Registered, No Membership

So i did a quick search and only saw a quick reference to Aspartame in this thread. I just saw part of a tv show talking about it and how it's FDA OK was pushed through the fda by none other than donald rumsfeld.
They say it is just terrible for you.

and this stuff is in damn near all gum and diet sodas.

I just saw people talking about diet sodas in the obsessions thread as well -

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/index.htm

anyone have any different or other info on it?
i have always heard shaky things about artificial sweetners but this show really got me thinking.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Dr. Weil says to avoid them. I wouldn't drink diet sodas daily but once in a while doesn't hurt. He makes a good point too, that people don't lose weight by using these sweeteners.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QA/QA106654/
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckymcnix View Post
So i did a quick search and only saw a quick reference to Aspartame in this thread. I just saw part of a tv show talking about it and how it's FDA OK was pushed through the fda by none other than donald rumsfeld.

i have always heard shaky things about artificial sweetners but this show really got me thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
Well, Dr. Weil says to avoid them. I wouldn't drink diet sodas daily but once in a while doesn't hurt. He makes a good point too, that people don't lose weight by using these sweeteners.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QA/QA106654/
I drink at least 6 Diet Mountain Dews and a couple Diet Cokes each day. I drink water in between those too. I have thought about the artificial sweeteners in them and it does worry me and I know I shouldn't drink as many, but lord, I have cut out so much. I guess I should do a little research and contemplate giving this up too...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I drink at least 6 Diet Mountain Dews and a couple Diet Cokes each day. I drink water in between those too. I have thought about the artificial sweeteners in them and it does worry me and I know I shouldn't drink as many, but lord, I have cut out so much. I guess I should do a little research and contemplate giving this up too...
That's how I feel about coffee. But the research on its detriments/benefits is pretty much neck and neck. I have about 3 cups a day so it is moderate use and I don't worry about it. 8 sodas is probably way too many but in the scheme of things it may not do much harm. If you don't have that disease and it doesn't give you headaches then it may not be too harmful. Do you like tea? That might be a good substitute. The thing is that foreign molecules do damage to your cells which accelerates aging.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

janniec i wish you good luck with this. keep us posted.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1 View Post
janniec i wish you good luck with this. keep us posted.
Thank you, Kathy. This is very sweet of you and I will keep you posted.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckymcnix View Post

when i was pregnant i had gestational diabetes & had totally quit drinking soda of any kind since i heard it wasn't a good thing to be drinking while preggers~ i have never been a big diet soda drinker, i'd rather have the full sugar stuff, my poison is the red mountain dew, but i had a huge craving for just a little sip of soda & asked my DR if it would be ok to have just a little soda if it was diet & caffine free, because of the diabetes i didn't want to send my levels soaring & my DR freaked out~ he said pregnant or not diabetes or not, or for anyone trying to lose weight, he would never recommend drinking diet soda of any kind~ he said the Aspartame & other artificial sweetners were like drinking formaldahyde (*sp)~ it does the same thing to your insides~ so i just don't do it~ i drink 2 of those 20oz red mountain dews a day & the rest of the time it is fiji water or iced tea~
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

your welcome jannie.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love doing yoga late late at night. why? I don't know. namaste yoga is my favorite.

I'm still at almost exactly the same weight I've been at for 2 months. I'm pretty much into a maintenance phase although it would be lovely to reach my actual goal weight (5 pounds away).
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HUGE setback. MY neck problems got worse last weekend. Way worse. It progressed from a stiff neck & some right shoulder pain to severe neck/spine pain, to sharp stabbing pains radiating down my right arm, to numbness & tingling in the right hand & a few fingers. At first, it was sore when I'd move a certain way - by Monday I was in constant pain with no relief from anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants or even narctoic analgesics.

So. It's been determined that I have a pinched nerve in my neck somewhere around C7. I have started PT (right now they're just adjusting my spine, using heat therapy & traction to my head/neck), and I'm on a course of low dose steroids as well as narcotic analgesics (which I'm terrified to take, to be honest, but I literally cannot function if I don't .) I go with this plan ("conservative treatment") and hope it works. If not, MRIs and neurosurgical consults are next.

Evidently, there is no specific cause. Inflammation of the spinal cord - I could have slept wrong, my posture may have been too slouchy/tense, it's anything and nothing. My right arm is noticably weaker than the left, I can't feel 2of my fingers. I haven't been on much because computer work is killing me. Worst pain I've EVER experienced in my life. I was crying at the doctor's office, waking up in the middle of the night howling in pain. Awful.

I have been bant from working upper body AT ALL. Lower body cardio is OK as long as there's no arm involvement - so I can use the elliptical, but I have to hold on the the stationary handles, not the moving bars. Can't jog. Biking is iffy because of the slight weight bearing on my arms. Even walking is tricky - I have pain every step I take, so a power walk is out of the question. I'm so annoyed. I will really have to watch every little thing I eat & count every point again - since I've been at goal I've been able to estimate & keep up the workouts & stay at that weight. But with this activity restriction, it won't be as easy.