Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
FAVORITE STEVIE/TOM STORY

In the late 80's, Stevie Nicks would co-write songs with Mike Campbell. For the "TANGO" sessions, she recorded the song "Runaway Trains" for a Fleetwood Mac album. In casual passing, I think the song was played for Tom Petty. Tom had a **** fit when he heard Stevie's version because he had just recorded the song for The Heartbreakers album "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough). Tom Petty basically told Stevie and The Mac using a few colorful words that they WOULD NOT use his song "Runaway Trains".

And that is how "Runaway Trains" did not end up on "Tango In The Night".
now, did she steal the WHOLE song-- words and lyrics? Or did she just hear the track on one of the tapes Mike gave her and she wrote her own lyrics and melody over it?? I thought that was how she always told the story.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
now, did she steal the WHOLE song-- words and lyrics? Or did she just hear the track on one of the tapes Mike gave her and she wrote her own lyrics and melody over it?? I thought that was how she always told the story.
I'm sure it was just the music track with perhaps a working title of "Runaway Trains". Stevie probably wrote some lyrics over the melody like:

"Baby, baby, sister said somethin' bout runaway trains--long dusted veil running through the night, like fireflies giving up the fight--and I'm depending on time, to get you out of my mind
I guess it's one of those things
You can never explain
Like when a silver moon cries
and a dark angel flies
Like runaway trains"

Tom heard the track and had a s**t fit.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty's last interview:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...004-story.html

"I was one of many blindsided by the news of his death on Monday. As we sat, just a few days earlier, he was vibrant, full of enthusiasm, still the epitome of the coolest rock star you’d want to sit down for a chat with. He laughed easily and often, occasionally dropping his voice into a softer mode when outlining just how precious his band, his music and his family were to him. The only gripe he had was about the hip he cracked shortly before the tour started, which he was now finally addressing.

This is not the Tom Petty story I intended to write because I intended to write a “next stage” story.

Everyone assumed — fully expected — there would be more time for this fisherman to add yet more brethren to the bevy of beloved songs that have integrated themselves into American popular culture. Classic-rock staples including “Breakdown,” “American Girl,” “Refugee,” “Even the Losers,” “Learning to Fly,” “Listen to Her Heart,” “Here Comes My Girl,” “Walls,” “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.”

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Supporting Ledgie

I think my first exposure to Petty was Free Fallin and then in my teenage years he came back with Mary Jane's Last Dance and I was a fan from then on. For years I have kept intending to go see him live and I never got the chance. I'm absolutely gobsmacked by his loss.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TOM PETTY DIED FROM MASSIVE ACCIDENTAL DRUG OD

1/19/2018 3:51 PM PST TMBZ

Tom Petty's Autopsy, Singer Died from Massive Accidental Drug Overdose

Tom Petty's autopsy results are in, and they show the singer died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

The L.A. County Coroner says a number of Tom's organs failed due to "mixed drug toxicity."

The autopsy report says when paramedics arrived he was in full cardiac arrest, but CPR revived him -- but on the way to the hospital he lost pulse for 20 minutes. He went into cardiac arrest a second time in the hospital and died 21 hours after being admitted.

Tom's autopsy report shows the singer was on several pain meds, including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone (Oxycontin), temazepam (Restoril), alprazolam (Xanax), citalopram (Celexa), acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl. The reason doctors prescribed the meds was because of a number of medical problems, including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

The family says the linchpin to Tom's demise was the fractured hip. He insisted on touring for 53 concert dates with the condition, which worsened over time and caused him to take the meds. On the date he had the heart attack he was told his hip had graduated to a full-on break that made the pain unbearable and may have caused the overuse of meds.

The autopsy says Petty suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis.

As we reported ... Tom's official death certificate left his cause of death as "deferred," leaving it as a mystery until now.

We broke the story ... Tom went into full cardiac arrest before being taken to a hospital in L.A. He eventually died when his family took him off life support.

Fentanyl was also linked to the deaths of Prince and Lil Peep.

Tom was 66.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So sad.

The coronary artery disease and the emphysema seem likely due to his heavy smoking for so many years. (Just like my dad, who also had a cardiac arrest )

It seems like the family is right, that if he'd postponed the tour and had the hip treated, it's likely he'd still be here.... at least for a while longer to manage his other illnesses.

I see colleagues in my field do the same sort of thing-- they have this belief that 'the job' is more important than their own health, and that taking some time off to take care of themselves will somehow be detrimental to their career.

Such a shame. He is missed.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A fractured/broken hip....
God that must have been horrendously painful for the man.
Poor man.
And yet still kept his commitments..
Old 01-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He should never have toured. I saw him in Pittsburgh on that tour and they were wonderful. I don't know how he did it. We noticed his hands shaking at times and we wondered if something was going on. I think he was probably the type of person that didn't want to go to Doctors. Just give me something for the pain. It hopefully bring more light to the Opiod crisis the country is going through. What a horrible tragedy his loss it. I'm sill so upset about his passing.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
A fractured/broken hip....
God that must have been horrendously painful for the man.
Poor man.
And yet still kept his commitments..
He worked very very hard.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I am absolutely gutted by this news. Why oh why was he not in the hospital? I saw a few fan reviews from the last tour that said he was "off." I didn't believe it. Once again I feel so bad for his poor family.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
He should never have toured. I saw him in Pittsburgh on that tour and they were wonderful. I don't know how he did it. We noticed his hands shaking at times and we wondered if something was going on. I think he was probably the type of person that didn't want to go to Doctors. Just give me something for the pain. It hopefully bring more light to the Opiod crisis the country is going through. What a horrible tragedy his loss it. I'm sill so upset about his passing.
One of the drugs he was taking was actually an illicit substance.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fentanyl is so bad! Why would anyone take that willingly?!

This is the opioid crisis in a nutshell, happening to regular people all over America in addition to celebrities; doctors over-prescribing extremely potent pain medications until the patient is addicted and eventually overdoses on prescribed or un-prescribed medications. SO tragic.

PSA to any performer with hip problems... And I'm looking at Stevie now... Would rather you pull a Dave Grohl and sit the whole time than die of an overdose of pain medication!!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot believe how doctors prescribed fentanyl and oxycotin and the other opiates to Tom, as he's a recovering heroin addict.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The opioid crisis is horrible. Every day 600 people in the USA overdose on drugs.
In Mick's first book he has a profound statement where is says "Thank goodness the band never got into heroin." Heroin was chic in the 70's with the Stones and other big bands. Several members of the Mac would not be here today if they every dabbled in heroin. Christine mentioned recently how she got hooked on pain killers after a fall. She got clean because she could see the downward spiral coming. Its a sad ironic that the people who were there for Stevie during her wild times are no longer here but she still is.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I cannot believe how doctors prescribed fentanyl and oxycotin and the other opiates to Tom, as he's a recovering heroin addict.
Right?! Unbelievable and unconscionable.