The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only "vault songs" left that I think I'd like to see the light of day are At The Fair, Joan of Arc, Julia and Space Needle.

Possibly Call On Me For Magic (if she can beat that vocal... which I doubt).

I think I'd prefer new stuff now though. 24 Karat Gold felt like she was sweeping the vault empty - ready to move forward perhaps?

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
I just think Dave Grohl/Butch Vig should produce it. the mood of the song is much closer to grunge than the rock/pop/tech/country vibe that DS seems to put her songs
Wow! You are so right on about that! He's the right guy to take the song where it needs to go.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The only "vault songs" left that I think I'd like to see the light of day are At The Fair, Joan of Arc, Julia and Space Needle.

I think I'd prefer new stuff now though. 24 Karat Gold felt like she was sweeping the vault empty - ready to move forward perhaps?
I agree that she should move on to something new; she dwells way too much in the past of what was, in direct opposition to what can be. Artists typically move forward. Still, it would be nice for one more more volume, since it can be cranked out in record time.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default (bows to Penguin Head)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Wow! You are so right on about that! He's the right guy to take the song where it needs to go.
just a thought! Butch Vig did some incredible work with Garbage... check out "Milk". that should be the aural soundscape for Space Needle
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Didn't 24 karat Gold teach you anything about songs you'd like to see the light of day? It doesn't matter how much you like her demos, they can change into something unexpected in officially released form. Mable Normand was a song i didn't think id like to see the light of day and it's now my favorite stevie nicks solo song behind only edge of 17!

So in addition to the demos I love already ( space needle, you like me, baby doll, mistaken love, Joan of arc and Julia) the list of her unreleased demos that we know of is still about 20 to 30 songs. So I think saying 24kg swept the vaults clean is inaccurate. I think a 2nd volume would officially sweep the vault clean of anything worth releasing.

And remember 24 kg gave every fan at least 2 songs that no one had ever heard ( I don't care and Hard Advice). So there's always a chance there are more unheard demos. And I would absolutely not mind if she feels another one of her soundtrack songs are deserving of being re recorded (battle of the dragon blue lamp etc.) just not more then one.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I cant wait for this to happen.Hope for a tour to promote both of them.

I would not mind seeing a Mac from the vault too..

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 02-11-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Old 02-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
That being said, if she does do volume 2, it better have Joan of Arc, Christian, and China Doll on it!
Agreed!!! Give me those three plus "Night Gallery" and I'll be a happy camper! The demo of "Night Gallery" is pretty much a RAL era "hot mess", just like the demo of "Mabel", but can you imagine what they could do with it? The lyrics and the synth riff alone make it gold!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I think a 2nd volume would officially sweep the vault clean of anything worth releasing.
Ditto. 24KG feels like she did a huge chunk of Spring cleaning...and Part 2 will be like she's finishing the job. She knows there are at least 10-15 more "classic" and "brilliant" demos that still need to "go out to the world", otherwise she wouldn't have mentioned "Julia" or "City Of Hope" in previous interviews...or even mentioned a Songs From the Vault Part 2 in general...she knows this will most likely be her next project, seeing how easy it was to record and put together the first one.

But yeah, after Part 2, PLEASE STEVIE, go back to recording new material and let the demos lie fallow...at least for the majority. One or two old demos out of a 12 songs isn't that bad, but at least make the majority of them new or newer, written in the last 5 years at least. I think a SFTV Part 3 would be pushing it...and scraping the bottom of the "demo barrel" in my opinion.

Sadly, this is all wishful thinking. I think Stevie will record SFTV Part 2 and then call it quits with the solo career, although I HOPE I'm wrong!

Last edited by sorcerer999; 02-11-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Agreed!!! Give me those three plus "Night Gallery" and I'll be a happy camper! The demo of "Night Gallery" is pretty much a RAL era "hot mess", just like the demo of "Mabel", but can you imagine what they could do with it? The lyrics and the synth riff alone make it gold!
I think a finished modern day version of Night Gallery could be quite stunning.
I also think you guys are way underestimating the amount of demos she actually has.
I'd also like to hear a finished version of Mix Down.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I also think you guys are way underestimating the amount of demos she actually has.
Oh, I know she's got TONS of demos...I'm sure many of which that never got stolen and circulated among us fans ("Hard Advice", the song about "The Kennedy's", etc)...

...but I do think over half the demos out there that HAVE been circulating, are not very good. I went thru a list of her demos a few months ago and could really only pick out 20 of the 40+ circulated demos in existence that really have potential. The rest is just awful. Of course, this is only just my opinion...

...but that's what I mean when I say that a SFTV Part 3 might just be scraping the bottom of the demo barrel, but who knows...she took both "Mabel" and "Starshine" (two of my least fave demos) and made them wonderful, so maybe she could do the same thing with "the bottom of the barrel"?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mable Normand was a song i didn't think id like to see the light of day and it's now my favorite stevie nicks solo song behind only edge of 17!
Mable Normand, the most startling demo to be recorded for 24 Karat Gold, went from stank to rank as one of Stevie's most notable songs in her catalog. The lyrics make more sense, telling a story, the more you listen to the song.

I don't understand the beef some have about the album for being old songs/demos. The most familiar dig is something like "they are old, and were left of f albums for a reason," inferring inferiority. That's just negative ignorance.

Artists of all types might typically collect a body of work - sketches, pieces, and things aren't released in the market. They may borrow parts of them for new creations, or revisit them at a later time. That's is exactly what Stevie did with this album. Had all those demos never circulated, no one would know the difference.

I imagine that Stevie must have some newer demos that we know nothing about. If she produced and released them on a new album, why would it matter if they've been sitting around for ten or so years?

I'm still playing the album frequently, and appreciating all of it. It's a shiny gem in her collection, full of many different facets.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-12-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Mable Normand, the most startling demo to be recorded for 24 Karat Gold, went from stank to rank as one of Stevie's most notable songs in her catalog. The lyrics make more sense, telling a story, the more you listen to the song.

I don't understand the beef some have about the album for being old songs/demos. The most familiar dig is "something like they are old, and were left of f albums for a reason," inferring inferiority. That's just hateful ignorance.

Artists of all types might typically collect a body of work - sketches, pieces, and things aren't released in the market. They may borrow parts of them for new creations, or revisit them at a later time. That's is exactly what Stevie did with this album.
Had all those demos never circulated, no one would know the difference.

I imagine that Stevie must have some newer demos that we know nothing about. If she produced and released them on a new album, why would it matter if they've been sitting around for ten or so years?

I'm still playing the album frequently, and appreciating all of it. It's a shiny gem in her collection, full of many facets.
Yes. And look how popular Moonlight is from IYD.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am hoping for Julia, Sanctuary, Forest of the Black Roses, and Space Needle.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Space Needle for me too. I need to go listen to more demos, only actually have a few in my collection and otherwise browse YouTube from time to time. Mixed feelings though, while I love Mabel Normand like everyone else I'm so bummed on what happened with The Dealer. I far prefer any of the 3-4 demos I have, such a jazzy fun feeling and then the 24KG has a bizarre country vibe... Ugh. Personally have mixed feelings on Moonlight for that matter, love a lot of the words, relate to it even, but less fond of all the "strange" repetition... But I may be alone...

I think the problem with demos we are familiar with is much like cover songs, I think you're just naturally predisposed to prefer the first version you've heard especially if you really like the song. I mean I can even think of, using the cover example, several covers I prefer to the original because I heard the cover first (not always the case but still). Only legit example of knowing and liking an original then proffering the cover would be Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt"... So that's my thoughts... It can very much go either way. And Stevie's voice is considerably different, I ove both young Stevie and more current Stevie but they're distinct sounds and eh... I don't totally know how to explain what I'm trying to get at here.

I would love a redecorating of Battle of the Dragon. I really love the 24KG version of Twisted. It's definitely in my top three or so on the album.

I lean more towards wanting new stuff. Or a blend. I adore IYD (bizarrely I was less fond of it in the beginning, maybe 24KG will continue to grow on me too but currently while 24KG is nice enough, I largely prefer IYD and TISL, at least as a complete package.)

Also I totally second the suggestion of a Mac Vault album.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

I hope she throws a couple new songs on there. A new song is still a "vault" song if it hasn't been released.

imo, some ideal choices to be considered would be:

Julia
Chanel, Chanel (take 2 demo is the best)
Forest of the Black Roses
China Doll
Gold & Braid
Forsaken Love
All The King's Horses (I KNOW there's a great song in there though she'd have to work it out a little)
Cecelia (Same as above, I know there's a great song in there)
Melacine (LOL another "incomplete" song but I know it would be great finished)
Castaway
Christian
Maker of Birds / Three Birds of Rhainnon
Anybody Out There
Space Needle
City of Hope
Old 02-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't 24 karat Gold teach you anything about songs you'd like to see the light of day? It doesn't matter how much you like her demos, they can change into something unexpected in officially released form. Mable Normand was a song i didn't think id like to see the light of day and it's now my favorite stevie nicks solo song behind only edge of 17!

So in addition to the demos I love already ( space needle, you like me, baby doll, mistaken love, Joan of arc and Julia) the list of her unreleased demos that we know of is still about 20 to 30 songs. So I think saying 24kg swept the vaults clean is inaccurate. I think a 2nd volume would officially sweep the vault clean of anything worth releasing.

And remember 24 kg gave every fan at least 2 songs that no one had ever heard ( I don't care and Hard Advice). So there's always a chance there are more unheard demos. And I would absolutely not mind if she feels another one of her soundtrack songs are deserving of being re recorded (battle of the dragon blue lamp etc.) just not more then one.
I agree Starshine and 24K were bad demos and they turned them into great listens. 24K is a great album.

I would like to see all the Rhiannon songs, plus Night Gallery, Julie, Love You Enough, Baby Doll, China Doll… on the next one.