The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What do you think is most likely Christine's next move from here?
rejoin Fleetwood Mac 12 32.43%
new solo album 11 29.73%
go back to hiding and play with her dogs 14 37.84%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, he's expressed this many times. Too many times for me to think of it as completely truthful. I think it was partially true and partly false bravado because he was frustrated that she left.

Michele
I always felt he was saying that more to "talk up" the band after they'd gone forward without her... as if Lindsey was trying to say we've still got the chops, better chops maybe than before? (ie. we're still exciting without her!) Being a salesman, basically.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Which is the normal reaction when a key member leaves the band. Christine made similar comments when Lindsey left during Tango

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See my rant in the Lindsey Forum.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Would you explain this? I need a refresher course.
Very vague actually. Basically Mick said he heard Christine and Lindsey talking on the phone and he wondered to himself, "is this really going to happen?" Which led me to think that maybe what he heard between them on the phone didn't sound like it would end in her providing songs on SYW.

So, in my head I thought Lindsey and Christine couldn't agree, but Mick and Stevie never ever said that. They never made it seem like Lindsey harpooned anything. Stevie often said, well she can't record if she won't tour, because what if her songs become hits? Stevie made it sound like that was the entire band's reasoning.

Now, with Sheryl Crow, Stevie would say things like, 'Oh maybe Lindsey will let her sing background on a song.' Stevie did indicate that Lindsey was a road block to Sheryl joining back then. But I don't think that made him look bad, because most FM fans didn't want her to join anyway.

Michele
Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Which is the normal reaction when a key member leaves the band. Christine made similar comments when Lindsey left during Tango
Salesmanship and/or just being irritated with the person that left in general. Be it 1987 or 1997.

Michele
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Salesmanship and/or just being irritated with the person that left in general. Be it 1987 or 1997.
Buckingham Nicks, Schmuckingham Nicks. Christine and Lindsey's relationship is a more interesting soap opera.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham Nicks, Schmuckingham Nicks. Christine and Lindsey's relationship is a more interesting soap opera.
The difference is that he thrives on pushing Stevie around, and Christine won't put up with his sh*t.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, in my head I thought Lindsey and Christine couldn't agree, but Mick and Stevie never ever said that. They never made it seem like Lindsey harpooned anything. Stevie often said, well she can't record if she won't tour, because what if her songs become hits? Stevie made it sound like that was the entire band's reasoning.
But that got blown up on their faces with the re-emergence of Everywhere, didn't it? People on Twitter were expecting them to play it.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The difference is that he thrives on pushing Stevie around, and Christine won't put up with his sh*t.
"Hey why don't we just g--"
"Shut up, Lindsey."

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He hasn't been in a position to push Stevie around since Christine left.

If you mean the way Christine badmouthed Lindsey after he left in 1987, Stevie did that too. In fact, in the interview where she said that Lindsey made her get at the back of the bus even Christine said, "whoa!" like she thought Stevie was being extreme. Stevie has never been less outspoken against Lindsey than Christine. The only difference is people (John, Mick and Lindsey) respect Christine more than Stevie, so they tended to pay more attention to Christine and to ignore Stevie's complaints.

Aside from the drink in the face, I'm not sure what he ever did that Christine didn't put up with. He seemed to have his way on stage and in the studio when Chris was there and didn't have to compromise as much with Stevie back then either. To win an argument with Lindsey, Stevie would have had to have both Mick and Christine on her side back then. Nowadays, to win an argument with him all she has to do is threaten not to tour.

Aside from having 30% less room to do his own thing, I don't see how Christine's absence has helped him any or given him the chance to get away with anything. Take the stage for instance, if he'd wanted Come in the setlist, Christine might have played on it or she might have told him she refused to play on it (just as Stevie left the stage during Come herself), but I don't think Christine would have tried to keep it out of the setlist or off the album. He could have had 6 strange songs he wanted on SYW and wouldn't have had to include BTLH and SYHA again, because Christine would have provided the equivalents to make up for their absence.

Michele
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aside from having 30% less room to do his own thing, I don't see how Christine's absence has helped him any or given him the chance to get away with anything.
if he wants both Big Machine and Small Machine, and he wants Big Machine to be at least marginally, tiny bit, relevant, he should be lobbying for Christine to come part-time back.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
if he wants both Big Machine and Small Machine, and he wants Big Machine to be at least marginally, tiny bit, relevant, he should be lobbying for Christine to come part-time back.
Lindsey's not as smart as we are.

Michele
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey's not as smart as we are.
For someone with such philosophical ramblings, he sure isn't as smart as he sounds. And even then...

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's true. I do think Lindsey really likes this BN tour that's going on under the FM banner.

So, that's 1 thing he wants and the other thing he wants is an FM album. He could have both, if Chris was part time.

Michele
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's true. I do think Lindsey really likes this BN tour that's going on under the FM banner.

So, that's 1 thing he wants and the other thing he wants is an FM album. He could have both, if Chris was part time.
Which is why he really needs to butter Christine up more than ever. Cut the crap and just tell her.