The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Religion (shudder).

Now 25 years ago, I'd have welcomed that referral(if I'd been old enough).

Quirks, kinks, etc bring em on.

You know, when I was a freshman in college, I had a girlfriend who was really into Stevie. She herself was very much like Stevie, with all the spacy stuff. Kind of even had Stevie's look. She really, over time, drove me crazy with that stuff. When I broke up with her, she tried to commit suicide, taking a bottle of pills and locking herself in her room. Her friends came and got me. I talked her out of her room, got her to the hospital for a stomach pump, and RAN LIKE HELL. I think that moment is when I developed an aversion to all things mystical. THAT, is why I prefer REAL and NORMAL.

Stevie is normal.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

Stevie is normal.
See? WHY must you talk about Stevie in Christine's forum? Isn't there enough Stevie talking in the Stevie forum? I don't think it's necessary to bring Stevie up in every Christine thread!!! Stevie, Stevie, Stevie!!!!

btw, normal my ass.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like you. I said the Stevie remark. I don't over analyze every remark I make(I'm a guy!). I typed it, and stand by my opinion. If it upset you, I'm sorry for that.
Oh no. I'm not upset. I just disagree. But thanks for clarifying and all, 'cause I wasn't sure if you were okay with us debating. I was afraid I might be pissing you off by continuing it. I'm glad we can do that.
Quote:
Hmmm. I've never been there, but it sounds like a nice place to visit.
If you like being critical of Stevie, it's the place for you! Other Stevie message boards? Not so much.
Quote:
Religion (shudder).

Quote:
You know, when I was a freshman in college, I had a girlfriend who was really into Stevie. She herself was very much like Stevie, with all the spacy stuff. Kind of even had Stevie's look. She really, over time, drove me crazy with that stuff. When I broke up with her, she tried to commit suicide, taking a bottle of pills and locking herself in her room. Her friends came and got me. I talked her out of her room, got her to the hospital for a stomach pump, and RAN LIKE HELL. I think that moment is when I developed an aversion to all things mystical. THAT, is why I prefer REAL and NORMAL.
I can understand your aversion, then. That must have been really, really frustrating and painful. That being said, I don't think it makes it okay to make generalizations, even though I do understand where you're coming from. It's not the same, but it's comparable to someone I know who was raped by two black guys. Ever since, she has had an aversion to black guys and makes a point of staying away from them. I understand why she's afraid but I still don't think it's okay. I hope she gets past it one day so that a whole group of people doesn't have to be held responsible for the actions of two.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 04-17-2005 at 07:13 PM..
Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amber and Gateandgarden, get real. This whole thread started when somebody's college professor said he had a crush on Christine. The poster even clarified that the professor did in fact mean Christine, not Stevie, which was a surprise to said poster. So, essentially, this is a thread about why some guys have a crush on Christine and not Stevie. And, Homer, being a GUY, is simply expressing why he has a crush on Christine and not Stevie.

Sorry to burst your chiffon bubble, but Stevie is NOT normal. Normal women don't go around in public always wearing chiffon and platforms (or Reeboks with rhinestones glued to them ). Normal women don't have a huge entourage. Normal women wear jeans and sneakers, or slacks and blazers, or dresses. In other words, most women are like Christine, not Stevie. But who cares? Do you think Stevie WANTS to be normal? No, she wants to be a star. She wants to be a recognizable celebrity, and the only way to be THAT is to be different. I mean, Mick is different and is easily recognized while John is normal and could easily get lost in a crowd.

Yes, dream catchers are part of certain people's religions, but not Stevie's. She's gone on record as being a born-again Christian. But, that's not why most people think of her as a fragil, fairy princess type. Stevie has her schtick. She's become this caricature that she created YEARS ago, and a lot of people don't buy it. A lot of people also have issues with her twirling and her song topics, which feed into the caricature (and, please note, I'm not saying I don't like the songs listed, because I like most of them):
Rhiannon
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman
Sisters Of The Moon
Gypsy
Seven Wonders
Paper Doll
Sweet Girl
Illume (9/11)
Running Through The Garden
Bella Donna
Wild Heart
Gate And Garden
Enchanted
Nightbird
Sable On Blond
Beauty And The Beast
Ghosts
Alice
Juliet
Trouble In Shangri-La
Candlebright
Sorcerer
Planets Of The Universe
Bombay Sapphires

While Christine's songs are usually the safest on record, and can be dull, she sings normal, pop love songs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty straight-forward. That's why people can relate to her more on a human level. You'll never see a Christine fan call her "the queen of rock" or refer to her as a "rock godess." Christine is just a normal woman who was asked to join her buddy's blues band, then fell into Fleetwood Mac, and then fell into rock stardom. Christine didn't ask for any of it. She's the antithesis of a rock star. She's one of us, and happened to get lucky. Stevie is almost like a diva. I think she's too nice a person and cares too much about her fans to be called a diva, but she does have that superstar quality about her. She is/was the superstar and the sex symbol of Fleetwood Mac. Christine was just the cute girl next door.

In any event, if you don't want to know why some guys prefer Christine over Stevie, then ignore a thread called "Crush" on the Christine board. You chiffon heads can be so insecure if somebody says they prefer ANYBODY over Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-17-2005 at 09:10 PM..
Old 04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Amber and Gateandgarden, get real. This whole thread started when somebody's college professor said he had a crush on Christine. The poster even clarified that the professor did in fact mean Christine, not Stevie, which was a surprise to said poster. So, essentially, this is a thread about why some guys have a crush on Christine and not Stevie. And, Homer, being a GUY, is simply expressing why he has a crush on Christine and not Stevie.

Sorry to burst your chiffon bubble, but Stevie is NOT normal. Normal women don't go around in public always wearing chiffon and platforms (or Reeboks with rhinestones glued to them ). Normal women don't have a huge entourage. Normal women wear jeans and sneakers, or slacks and blazers, or dresses. In other words, most women are like Christine, not Stevie. But who cares? Do you think Stevie WANTS to be normal? No, she wants to be a star. She wants to be a recognizable celebrity, and the only way to be THAT is to be different. I mean, Mick is different and is easily recognized while John is normal and could easily get lost in a crowd.

Yes, dream catchers are part of certain people's religions, but not Stevie's. She's gone on record as being a born-again Christian. But, that's not why most people think of her as a fragil, fairy princess type. Stevie has her schtick. She's become this caricature that she created YEARS ago, and a lot of people don't buy it. A lot of people also have issues with her twirling and her song topics, which feed into the caricature (and, please note, I'm not saying I don't like the songs listed, because I like most of them):
Rhiannon
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman
Sisters Of The Moon
Gypsy
Seven Wonders
Paper Doll
Sweet Girl
Illume (9/11)
Running Through The Garden
Bella Donna
Wild Heart
Gate And Garden
Enchanted
Nightbird
Sable On Blond
Beauty And The Beast
Ghosts
Alice
Juliet
Trouble In Shangri-La
Candlebright
Sorcerer
Planets Of The Universe
Bombay Sapphires

While Christine's songs are usually the safest on record, and can be dull, she sings normal, pop love songs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty straight-forward. That's why people can relate to her more on a human level. You'll never see a Christine fan call her "the queen of rock" or refer to her as a "rock godess." Christine is just a normal woman who was asked to join her buddy's blues band, then fell into Fleetwood Mac, and then fell into rock stardom. Christine didn't ask for any of it. She's the antithesis of a rock star. She's one of us, and happened to get lucky. Stevie is almost like a diva. I think she's too nice a person and cares too much about her fans to be called a diva, but she does have that superstar quality about her. She is/was the superstar and the sex symbol of Fleetwood Mac. Christine was just the cute girl next door.

In any event, if you don't want to know why some guys prefer Christine over Stevie, then ignore a thread called "Crush" on the Christine board. You chiffon heads can be so insecure if somebody says they prefer ANYBODY over Stevie.
Easy, big fella. sheesh. I love that someone had a crush on Christine, i think she is a standup laydeh. I think we were just addressing how Homie felt the need to compare her to Stevie, ie, he started it. And quit calling us "insecure", we were just standing up for our girl. Homie's the one who felt the need to compare. And Stevie still doesn't seem that weird to me. I understand her quite well. I guess that makes me weird, then so be it. Get a grip yourownself. And P.S.? just for the record, Stevie does wear normal clothes around. See Destiny Rules doc.- just some nice slacks and jackets.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think we were just addressing how Homie felt the need to compare her to Stevie, ie, he started it.
But, the whole point is that the initial poster seemed intrigued that some guys have a crush on Christine, but not Stevie. Now, we guys can't explain why we prefer Christine over Stevie without stating what it is that turns us on to Christine and what turns us off to Stevie.
Quote:
And quit calling us "insecure", we were just standing up for our girl.
The fact that you feel the need to stick up for your girl on another girl's board is why people call you insecure.
Quote:
Homie's the one who felt the need to compare.
Again, you can't tell somebody why you like apples more than oranges without describing what it is about apples you like and oranges you don't like.
Quote:
And Stevie still doesn't seem that weird to me. I understand her quite well. I guess that makes me weird, then so be it. Get a grip yourownself.
I never said that you or anybody else is weird. (You're still sounding insecure, BTW.) Abnormal, for me, is not at all weird. 'Twould be a boring world without the eccentrics. I love Fleetwood Mac because it's such an unusual mix of normal people and eccentrics. But, if I had to choose between Stevie and Christine for a bride, well, Christine would win, because I want a fairly normal wife. (Of course, if I had to choose a Mac lady for a bride, I'd have to pick Bekka by default, as she's only five years older than I.)
Quote:
And P.S.? just for the record, Stevie does wear normal clothes around. See Destiny Rules doc.- just some nice slacks and jackets.
And, I said that there aren't that many examples of her dressing in anything other than chiffon in public. There are only a handful of pictures I've seen. The recording studio does not constitute being in public. And, this also gets to the heart of what I was saying. That's Stevie's casual, but Christine's semi-formal! There's the difference. Because, Christine is usually in jeans and a casual button down in the studio.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
amber
This message has been deleted by amber.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 PM
SteveMacD
This message has been deleted by SteveMacD.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 PM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, the whole point is that the initial poster seemed intrigued that some guys have a crush on Christine, but not Stevie. Now, we guys can't explain why we prefer Christine over Stevie without stating what it is that turns us on to Christine and what turns us off to Stevie.

The fact that you feel the need to stick up for your girl on another girl's board is why people call you insecure.
But Steven, these opinions aren't allowed in the Chiffonese world. They simply will not TOLERATE any opinion other than pure Stevie worship. Even a mild comparison, with Stevie not being the more enamored, ruffles their feathers into a Chiffonese tizzy. Why they frequent Chris' forum, with their obvious biases, is beyond me.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But Steven, these opinions aren't allowed in the Chiffonese world. They simply will not TOLERATE any opinion other than pure Stevie worship. Even a mild comparison, with Stevie not being the more enamored, ruffles their feathers into a Chiffonese tizzy. Why they frequent Chris' forum, with their obvious biases, is beyond me.
Why do you guys even care? Now you're making up stories about us living in a special "Chiffonese" world? geez. You're the one who started comparing, and yet you don't understand when we say something? Right now, by calling us names, you are the ones getting all upset because we stood up for Stevie. And, by the way, I don't think any of us said anything negative at all about Chris. And you're saying we shouldn't look at Chris's forum, cause we like Stevie? that's so dumb, we like Chris and Stevie. And, if I'm not mistaken, Hillary really likes Chris. seriously, you're cracking me up right now!

Old 04-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do you guys even care? Now you're making up stories about us living in a special "Chiffonese" world? geez. You're the one who started comparing, and yet you don't understand when we say something? Right now, by calling us names, you are the ones getting all upset because we stood up for Stevie. And, by the way, I don't think any of us said anything negative at all about Chris. And you're saying we shouldn't look at Chris's forum, cause we like Stevie? that's so dumb, we like Chris and Stevie. And, if I'm not mistaken, Hillary really likes Chris. seriously, you're cracking me up right now!
AMber, this IS Chris' forum. We came here praising her personality in this thread. I love you dear, but you're a little out of place in this thread. Let it go. Perhaps you have a little too much free time....
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
AMber, this IS Chris' forum. We came here praising her personality in this thread. I love you dear, but you're a little out of place in this thread. Let it go. Perhaps you have a little too much free time....
Seriously, you're high. Anyone who likes Chris, or anyone at all, can come here. Get a grip, you do not own the Chris forum. And I encourage you to read back. I never said anything bad about Chris. Thank you, that is all.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But Steven, these opinions aren't allowed in the Chiffonese world. They simply will not TOLERATE any opinion other than pure Stevie worship.
I think the fellow who said "We are all so loyal to our Queen, she can do no wrong," in regards to Christine, probably shouldn't take pot-shots at Stevie's fans.

While I'm here, I'd also like to take the opportunity to comment on this:
Quote:
Stevie has her schtick. She's become this caricature that she created YEARS ago, and a lot of people don't buy it.
As I've said before, I find the discussions of Stevie's "worn-out schtick" from Christine's and Lindsey's fans to be highly ironic.

To me, Stevie's persona is no more unbelievable than Christine's four decades worth of singing love songs to guys who done her wrong but for whom she'd still sit at home and wait.
Or Lindsey's three decades of selling himself as a quirky "artiste" who's outside the mainstream, while readily alligning himself to big-ticket record companies who can get him the biggest cash advance.

Sure, Stevie's a middle-aged "fairy princess" who still writes about a relationship that broke up 25 years ago, but then Christine's a middle-aged co-dependent who still writes love songs to guys who only call her when they need a ride to the airport, and Lindsey's a middle-aged millionaire mansion-dweller who writes songs chastizing "the man" and his bureaucracies.

Someone can call all of that "schtick," but I call it part of what makes them each interesting as people and songwriters.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do you guys even care? Now you're making up stories about us living in a special "Chiffonese" world? geez.
Huh??? I referred to you as a chiffon head, which is a term for Stevie die-hards. I also refer to myself as a Byrdmaniac, as I'm a fan of the Byrds, and "Byrdmaniax" was the title of one of their albums, and of course I'm a Mac Head. Why do chiffon heads read WAY too much into things?
Quote:
You're the one who started comparing, and yet you don't understand when we say something? Right now, by calling us names, you are the ones getting all upset because we stood up for Stevie.
Because it wasn't appropriate. The very nature of this thread was to compare Christine and Stevie in a way that is more complimentary to Christine, which is something one would expect on a thread called CRUSH on a CHRISTINE board!
Quote:
And, by the way, I don't think any of us said anything negative at all about Chris.
No, but your comments took away from the discussion we were having about Christine. In other words, you couldn't let Christine have her moment. You had to start defending Stevie's honor in a way that was really unnecessary. Homer was just explainging why he liked Christine more than Stevie, and was actually using some specifics.
Quote:
And you're saying we shouldn't look at Chris's forum, cause we like Stevie? that's so dumb,
Indeed it is dumb, which is why nobody ever said it. All we're saying is that if you cannot accept the fact that folks on the Christine forum have a different attitude towards Stevie sometimes, then maybe you should refrain from taking part in certain discussions. To put it another way, I'm a huge Bekka fan. I learned years ago that if I were going to defend Bekka's honor every time Stevie fans made an off-color comment on a Stevie message board, I'd be typing all day long. And for what? I certainly wasn't going to convert any chiffon heads, just as you're not going to convert Homer. So I learned to just bite my lip every once in a while.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

whatev, dude. you are wrong. rock on.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't think Amber and Hillary were so much "defending Stevie's honor," as wondering why the two women need to be compared.
Yes, Erica mentioned wondering if perhaps her professor meant "Stevie" when he said "Christine," but it really didn't have to lead into a comparison of the two.

From what I read in their posts, all Hillary and Amber were trying to say... which is something I'd think all Christine fans would be on board with... is that Christine does not need to be compared to Stevie in order to be praised or complimented. Nor does Stevie's appeal need to be dissmissed in order for Christine to look good.

Christine can, and should, stand on her own merits.

And if Homer's tired of hearing about Stevie so often on Christine's Forum, he shouldn't take so many opportunities to mention her.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 04-18-2005 at 01:38 AM..
Old 04-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I think the fellow who said "We are all so loyal to our Queen, she can do no wrong," in regards to Christine, probably shouldn't take pot-shots at Stevie's fans.
If I know Homer as well as I think I do, I think he was being just a little sarcastic. It was tounge-and-cheek.
Quote:
As I've said before, I find the discussions of Stevie's "worn-out schtick" from Christine's and Lindsey's fans to be highly ironic.
Ah, but your assuming I'm a Christine or Lindsey fan. My top two are Mick and John, although I love all of the singers/songwriters who've been in Fleetwood Mac. Hey, I'm a sucker for a really good rhythm section.
Quote:
To me, Stevie's persona is no more unbelievable than Christine's four decades worth of singing love songs to guys who done her wrong but for whom she'd still sit at home and wait.
Or Lindsey's three decades of selling himself as a quirky "artiste" who's outside the mainstream, while readily alligning himself to big-ticket record companies who can get him the biggest cash advance.

Sure, Stevie's a middle-aged "fairy princess" who still writes about a relationship that broke up 25 years ago, but then Christine's a middle-aged co-dependent who still writes love songs to guys who only call her when they need a ride to the airport, and Lindsey's a middle-aged millionaire mansion-dweller who writes songs chastizing "the man" and his bureaucracies.

Someone can call all of that "schtick," but I call it part of what makes them each interesting as people and songwriters.
I can't say I disagree about Lindsey. I think he wants to be an indy rocker, but damn he gets a lot of zeros in his Fleetwood Mac royalties! But people can relate to chastizing "the man." We're all part of some system in which we don't have much control. So his actions speak louder than his words. His words tend to be more in line with John Q. Public's feelings.

I will say that I disagree about Christine. As a social worker, and a co-dependent, I've noticed over the years that once a co-dependent, always a co-dependent. Maybe that's a reason why I like Christine so much. I can personally relate to wanting whoever to finally do the right thing. I could get screwed a thousand times, but I'd still hope for a happy ending. So that's not so much schtick, but a personality flaw. Sadly many have this flaw, which is again another reason why so many can relate to her words.

Personally, I don't really try to understand or analyze what Stevie's saying in a lot of her songs. I just sit back and enjoy it. To do otherwise would require a few beers and a Little Orphan Annie decoder ring, and I don't have that kind of time. Instead, I enjoy her songs like I would an abstract painting, and just appreciate it for what it is. However, I do that because I really enjoy her music. For some it's just a taste they never acquire. Her music is just something they really don't understand and can't relate to.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-18-2005 at 02:41 AM..