User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks: Remembering Their Decades-Long Friendship

http://people.com/music/tom-petty-de...ks-friendship/
Click the link great vid clips n this article, including their recent Hyde Park duet

In July of this year, as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers arrived in Hyde Park, London, for the next leg of their 40th anniversary tour, they were joined by one of their frontman’s most famed collaborators: Stevie Nicks. The audience roared in approval as the pair performed a rendition of their iconic duet “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” with the BBC going so far as to call fans in the crowd “delirious.” While on stage, Nicks shouted out, “You know that Tom Petty is my favorite rock star!” and said she’d remember the night “for the rest of my life.”

It was hardly the first time that Petty and Nicks revived the song for a live audience. But it has, in a tragic and abrupt twist, turned out to be the last. Petty died Monday at age 66, after suffering cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu.

Nicks and Petty’s relationship as friends and collaborators spanned decades; they met in 1978 and within a few years began working closely together. In 1981, the pair created their first duet, “Insider,” as part of the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album Hard Promises. Later that year, for Nicks’ debut solo album, Bella Donna, the pair recorded “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” — that aforementioned classic — which was originally written for the Heartbreakers until Nicks’ participation was factored in. (Other Heartbreakers band members ended up contributing to Nicks’ first few solo albums.) It debuted as one of the top singles in the country — staying no. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks — and to this day remains among both artists’ most successful and beloved songs. (Their other big hit was “Needles and Pins,” a Heartbreakers song released in 1986.)

Nicks performed with Petty consistently since the 1980s, including on the Heartbreakers’ concert tours for Hard Promises (1981) and Rock a Little (1986), and as part of their Highway Companions Tour in 2006. In an interview from a while back, Nicks discussed why she and Petty worked so well together on stage, calling him “a really special” artist. “It’s really easy for Tom and I to be theatrical on stage because we both like it,” she explained. “If you have a duet and one of the [people] isn’t into being theatrical, you can’t do it because they think you’re stupid.”

Petty also played a big role in one of Nicks’ most enduring songs, “Edge of Seventeen” — albeit by accident. She once asked Petty’s first wife, Jane Benyo, when the two of them met. “I met him at some point during the age of 17,” Benyo responded to Nicks, per Billboard. Nicks heard it wrong: “I thought she said, ‘The edge of 17.’ I said, ‘Jane, can I use that? Can I write a song called ‘Edge of Seventeen’?’” Nicks added that the song as written is partly about Petty and Benyo’s relationship as Benyo described it to her, specifically referencing the poignant verse, “He seemed broken-hearted/Somethin’ within him.”

On the more personal side, Petty and Nicks shared a closeness that neither was shy about discussing. Nicks has described how Petty convinced her to return to writing music again in the ’90s — and, accordingly, helped her through a bad post-rehab, post-breakup period. She recounted to Billboard: “I was still in a fragile state, after 48 days of hell in rehab, and Tom said, ‘You don’t need help to write a song — you just need to get over this experience that bummed you out so bad. The relationship you were in is over, it was over a long time ago, and you need to move on.’”

CARLO ALLEGRI/GETTY
Petty, meanwhile, was once asked by the Toronto Sun to summarize their friendship. “Have you got a couple of hours?” he said. “She’s a good friend. I’ve known her since 1978 and she’s insisted on being in my life. Some of my best musical memories of her are sitting on the couch and just playing the guitar while she sings.”

But as to whether there was anything more than friendship? Petty biographer Warren Zanes told Salon in 2015, “I pushed on this question, saying to [Tom], after he told me they weren’t a couple, ‘You sure sound like a couple.’ Tom looked at me and said, ‘We had our times.’”

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 10-03-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's what I've always thought. Stevie was the ultimate fan girl. Tom just wouldn't put it that way.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This makes me want to puke.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Why both Joe Walsh and Mick are fuglier than Tom IMHO.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jondalar, Why does this make you wanna puke???
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come on, Jondalar, explain.....
Why would this article make you want to puke ?
I'm not understanding this.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Come on, Jondalar, explain.....
Why would this article make you want to puke ?
I'm not understanding this.
This is not about Stevie. Petty has died and it just seems like people are trying to make it about her.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
It's what I've always thought. Stevie was the ultimate fan girl. Tom just wouldn't put it that way.
He did put it that way to the Toronto Sun: " I’ve known her since 1978 and she’s insisted on being in my life."
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Entertainment Weekly listed SDMHA at No. 8 on their list of the 10 most essential Tom Petty songs: "With duet partner Stevie Nicks, a rueful pas de deux between lovers too far gone for easy goodbyes."
Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
He did put it that way to the Toronto Sun: " I’ve known her since 1978 and she’s insisted on being in my life."
He said before that she is the only person who fought her way into his life.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie wrote her condolences when Glenn Frey passed away. She has not written a word about Tom. Isn't that weird?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[CODE]Stevie wrote her condolences when Glenn Frey passed away. She has not written a word about Tom. Isn't that weird?/CODE]
She's probably in shock and grieving. She was close to Tom and his wife.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He said before that she is the only person who fought her way into his life.
Not to be negative and Lynch (and TP) have alluded to this as well, but back in the day she did "sorta" make herself seem like a gadfly according to their various interviews. Lynch went nuts when TP gave SDMHA and to this day insists she didn't deserve the song. Remember, he was with the band till 94 for nearly 20 years and had some axes to grind.

Why would Stevie have to "fight" her way into TP's life??
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Stevie wrote her condolences when Glenn Frey passed away. She has not written a word about Tom. Isn't that weird?
There are other ways to express grief......
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I don't understand your bitterness towards Stevie, although I often appreciate your off- the-cuff-humour. You must post on Datalounge. Anyway, I became a fan of Tom by first being a fan of Stevie and my first thought upon hearing of his death was that Stevie must be a wreck. It's not "all about Stevie" but she obviously is impacted by this.