Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2002, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Angela,

Lindsey didn't write "Try For The Sun". It was written by Donovan Leitch, Sr.; aka "Donovan". Same guy who wrote "Season Of The Witch", "Catch The Wind", "Mellow Yellow", "Cosmic Wheels", "Intergalactic Laxative", and "Jennifer Juniper" for Jenny Boyd (Fleetwood), back in the late '60's/early '70's. I SERIOUSLY doubt Donovan had Stevie in mind when he wrote "Try For The Sun", nor even knew of her existence. Lindsey just covered it somewhere along the lines during the "Gift Of Screws" sessions, along with covering four relatively obscure Rolling Stones tunes ("She Smiled Sweetly", "Blue Turns To Grey", "Gotta Get Away" & "The Singer Not The Song"). I also seriously doubt that EVERYTHING Lindsey writes is about Stevie and vice versa...no matter HOW it may seem like it in our fantasies.

LOL....I know he didn't write it...but, he did change some of the words...and like Nancy said...lol...he HAD to have known what ppl would think. I mean, "his gypsy girl"??? The song just has Buckingham/Nicks written all over it. He HAD to have been thinking of himself and Stevie when he heard/decided to cover this song. No, I don't think Donovan had Stevie in mind...but Lindsey sure as heck did...LOL.

And, you're right...as much as I would love for ALL of their songs to be about each other...I know that that is not so...but, lol...this one is...I'm just sure.

~~Angela~~
Old 06-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I also seriously doubt that EVERYTHING Lindsey writes is about Stevie and vice versa...no matter HOW it may seem like it in our fantasies.
I tried to bring this up a while, glad you share the same sentiment. I just find it quite hard to believe stuff from Tango and Behind The Mask is written for Lindsey from Stevie or vice versa. I mean c'mon, 10+ years after the fact, people get on with their lives. It's just a little outlandish to keep the dream alive.
-Brian
Old 06-13-2002, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Lots of L&S romantics out there...

We all know that some of her songs are NOT about Lindsey, but some people "wish" they were. I don't care who the songs are about as long as they ROCK! Isn't "Rooms on Fire" about Rupert Hine? There is MUCH speculation like, this song is about so and so, and this one is about so and so, and we inject our own thoughts and stuff into that, and with Stevie (HOORAY for Storytellers!!), Christine and especially Lindsey not saying much about their respective songs, it's easy to put your own spin on them. I DO like taking songs and applying them to MY life tho.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

..........but things weren't completely over for them in 77. They have both as much as admitted that. They drifted together and apart for years, pushing and pulling, giving in to many temptations on the road, including each other. They were circling each other, but never quite able to resolve anything. Too many other commitments and problems got in the way, and they were never wanting the same thing at the same time. There were so many issues of power, control, and competition.

It's not as easy as "10+ years being over". Lindsey wouldn't have been haunted by a spectre that wasn't real from time to time. Something kept it alive.
They were still incredibly attracted to each other after they "broke up". Their chemistry, their sexual energy, is so real you can touch it. One thing leads to another. Stuff happened, and they just couldn't seem to get on the same page at the same time. Stevie's drug problems complicated things greatly. It all got so bad Lindsey had to leave in order to break the destructive cycle they kept getting sucked into on the road. Who could blame him? I'm sure it was all very mentally draining, which in turn affects creativity.

Sure, all their songs aren't about each other, but alot of them are.
Even their old friends say things like, "They write songs to each other like most people write letters."
And the unreleased stuff of Stevie's? Well, that mostly always points directly to Lindsey.

Their relationship is very complicated, and the great majority of the rest of us will never experience anything like that.
I just don't think you can apply standard rules to it because it is so unique.
That's what makes it a beautiful thing to watch, even to this day.
I, for one, am going to be there, no matter what!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Junior Ledgie

i'm not nearly as astute as most of you in interpreting stevie's lyrics, but its not all that hard to figure out when a song, or even just a verse, is about lindsey. there seems to be something consistent about the tone, and the words she chooses, when she writes about him.
and just because a song was on tango or BTM doesnt mean it was written at that time. stevie keeps her songs forever, until the right vehicle presents itself - such as what happened with TISL.
yes, people get on with their lives, as they definitely should, and i hope they each are completely happy in their respective worlds, but you cant tell me that a "certain something" doesnt remain for stevie and lindsey, that the pulse doesnt quicken a little when they get together. they know it, and they know we know it. you wait and see, they will play off each other in concert, because they still need to air it out, but now they can do it in the safe confines of a concert hall.
i cant wait..............
Old 06-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I DO like taking songs and applying them to MY life tho.
I agree with you there... I have lots of little theme tunes...

BTW... I don't think anyone here is going to claim that every song Stevie wrote is about Lindsey... she's had an exciting life with a lot of different experiences, and that's some understatement. But what's the problem with saying that some of them were, and still are being written about him? She has said they're friends now, so why shouldn't she write songs about him? Would you rather they didn't speak at all?

Laura.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy well pretty much!

Quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonnaGypsy
Would you rather they didn't speak at all?

Laura.
that's the vibe i always get when i see ppl post statements like that. i don't know y some ppl have such a problem with these two together as friend and/or lovers. these two have known eachother just about all their lives. i would think that some songs would still come out about their relationship. besides, the songs that do are EXCELLENT! and we all rock out to them so i don't see what the problem is!

mimi
Old 06-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: well pretty much!

Quote:
Originally posted by tyshiria
that's the vibe i always get when i see ppl post statements like that. i don't know y some ppl have such a problem with these two together as friend and/or lovers. these two have known eachother just about all their lives. i would think that some songs would still come out about their relationship. besides, the songs that do are EXCELLENT! and we all rock out to them so i don't see what the problem is!
Nobody here has suggested that none of their songs are about each other.

I don't think there is any sort of vibe or problem -- it's just a difference of opinion. Some of us don't look at Stevie's and Lindsey's history together or read their interviews and interpret all of it in a way that leads us to the sorts of conclusions that Sulamith described above. That's all. It's nothing personal. It's nothing that means that I think Lindsey and Stevie shouldn't talk or shouldn't be friends now. I haven't read anything here that makes me think anyone does think that.

The alternatives to being in love are many and varied and because I don't think they're still in love does not mean that I think they hate each other. In fact, I take them at their word that they are now able to be better friends than they ever were before. I think they do have an alliance of sorts that doesn't go away that translates to chemistry on stage. That alliance is something special in performances, but it isn't something that makes me think Lindsey and Stevie weren't or aren't still madly in love with other people in their lives.

Certainly they continued to have issues with each other for years after their breakup. But probably like Chili and like Brian, because I don't believe that they've continued to be "in love" during the 26 long years since they broke up, I see a lot of other events and people from their lives in a lot of their songs.

PS - Lindsey was with Kristen during the Dance tour. There were several sightings of her throughout - beginning, middle and end.

Last edited by Les; 06-14-2002 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-15-2002, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahhh....lol, but weren't there several Lindsey "sightings" on Stevie's Enchanted tour? Seems like I remember hearing of a few...

~~Angela~~
Old 06-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Magic!!!

Hi Mac Fans! Let us not forget Lindsey's sweet eye
contact and loving smiles for Christine!!! They were
ALL happy they mended the past and could now move
on! Stevie went over and nuzzled up to Lindsey...>>>
not the other way around! Lindsey being a gentleman
responded accordingly! LINDSEY RULES!!! Cheers! Sky

ps... Lindsey said they are FRIENDS once again !!!
Kristen mentioned Stevie very kindly on his BTM!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 06-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Ooh la la!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylark
Hi Mac Fans! Let us not forget Lindsey's sweet eye
contact and loving smiles for Christine!!!
Do you know something we don't? ;-)

Old 06-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Angela, I wasn't going to bring that up, but yes, he was spotted at least three times backstage and on the bus during the Enchanted Tour,
and,
Wasn't it Lindsey who clotheslined Stevie at the last show on the Dance tour with a kiss right in the mouth that seemed to just about snap her head off? She looked real angry about it...
I wouldn't call that merely gentlemanly reciprocation. He went into her space on that one.

Look, we could argue this all day. We'll never get anywhere because for every "sighting" or event there is another to show somethig else. My earlier post was referring to the time before Lindsey left the Band in the 80's. Nobody really knows, that was just my opinion.
There is strong evidence for both extremes of opinion, so like I said neither side will ever prove anything.

I'm still intrigued, still watching!
-Sharon
Old 06-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Ledgie

Hi guys! What are your thoughts about them being able to repeat the success of The Dance? I hope they will but the industry has changed so much since then (for the worse, IMO)and the fact that it might be six years between albums can't help either.