User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Occasionally you will see shows that were filmed using actual FILM rescanned and make to sorta look ok on Wide ratio TV. But a show like Star Trek The next Generation which was filmed on film they went back several years ago and rescanned the physical film and upgraded to HD but stayed Square because it would have Chopped too much.
I guess that's the "problem"... they didn't treat it like a film. But didn't some shows get the widescreen treatment? I remember watching Seinfeld in the 90s on my 4:3 box TV... and nowadays the show is being shown in hidef and 16:9.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I guess that's the "problem"... they didn't treat it like a film. But didn't some shows get the widescreen treatment? I remember watching Seinfeld in the 90s on my 4:3 box TV... and nowadays the show is being shown in hidef and 16:9.
The Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert (October 1992) was shot in Hi Def. From what I understand, the technology was brand new then and it was not clear it would become standard.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
From what I understand, the technology was brand new then and it was not clear it would become standard.
It probably cost an arm & a leg at the time, and I'd imagine they needed to keep production costs as minimal as possible. Hmm. Oh well, can't change it now... but I do think it's the great shame of The Dance, as nearly perfect as it already is
Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
It probably cost an arm & a leg at the time, and I'd imagine they needed to keep production costs as minimal as possible. Hmm. Oh well, can't change it now... but I do think it's the great shame of The Dance, as nearly perfect as it already is
The Dylan anniversary show had ticket revenue, pay-per-view money, and big name artists (including a Beatle) performing for free; so I imagine it had a considerably bigger budget. (Plus per Elliot Scheiner FM did almost three months audio post-production on The Dance.)

Last edited by cbBen; 02-14-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
(Plus per Elliot Scheiner FM did almost three months audio post-production on The Dance.)
I think I read somewhere (maybe here?) that a lot of Lindsey's guitar parts were re-recorded. Imagine having to watch video of yourself and then try and nail all the same notes? Ugh... nightmare.