User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Eh, not good. Makes you wonder if one of us fans could write a better biography instead of Mr. Davis (probably).
Yes, we fans collectively could write a better book and more accurately as well.

I got it early yesterday and power read it all the way through its 318 pages ( eye strain city)...

If you've read Carol Ann's book about her and LB or Ethlie Vares book about Stevie or any other book/article Etc about FM or Stevie, much of what's in those is in here. This is more a consolidation of many things that have been written over the years. Nothing revealing at all and quite frankly, the photos are all pretty much stock stuff we've seen over the years. We have better and more esoteric photos than his. I also got the distinct Impression that the author Davis approached this from the view of a forlorn lover ( not that he truly was) rather than a true biographer who wants just the facts. Where he doesn't have accurate info, he appears to me anyway, to be guessing or trying to fill in the blanks or speculating.

My grade: c+, maybe B- Too much guessing about the real " Stevie " we all know and love.

Note that this is the same guy who penned Micks book as well.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 11-23-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Old 11-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Page 207 (describing the release of the 'Rock A Little' album):

Stevie... flew to New York, and sang "I Can't Wait" on Letterman's show, which had its best ratings of the year.

Seriously?! In what universe did that happen?!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

can anyone translate Latin? The author makes a dedication to Stevie fans in the front of the book (and appears to have made a mistake in that according to a friend who took Latin in school who I tried to read it to over the phone). It mentions something about loyalty/fidelity and memory, and seems like it could be a bit of a snark about accuracy of stuff in the book. But I'd love it if someone could translate. Online translators (e.g. Google, etc) totally muck it up and get it wrong so don't bother with that.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
can anyone translate Latin? The author makes a dedication to Stevie fans in the front of the book (and appears to have made a mistake in that according to a friend who took Latin in school who I tried to read it to over the phone). It mentions something about loyalty/fidelity and memory, and seems like it could be a bit of a snark about accuracy of stuff in the book. But I'd love it if someone could translate. Online translators (e.g. Google, etc) totally muck it up and get it wrong so don't bother with that.
It translates to something like:

'Mindful and faithful. Not for ourselves alone are we born'.

-----------------------------------

Here's another whopper on p. 224 (talking about the FM 1987 tour):

... when Fleetwood Mac threw its full, prodigious weight into "Stand Back" and "Edge of Seventeen."

Oh man, this book should be on the shelves in the Fiction section!

Last edited by greendaze5; 11-27-2017 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
It translates to something like:

'Mindful and faithful. Not for ourselves alone are we born'.

-----------------------------------

Here's another whopper on p. 224 (talking about the FM 1987 tour):

... when Fleetwood Mac threw it full, prodigious weight into "Stand Back" and "Edge of Seventeen."

Oh man, this book should be on the shelves in the Fiction section!
hmmm.... so what do we make of that being his dedication to Stevie fans?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post

Stevie... flew to New York, and sang "I Can't Wait" on Letterman's show, which had its best ratings of the year.

This book is full chock full of BS. I will not be reading it but had I attempted to I would have tossed it on a trash heap by page one when he got her birth date wrong.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I haven't read the book. I don't know if I'm going to. I can't get over this guy Stephen Davis who has published I don't know how many books working on this thing for five years and then just putting it out with a ton of inaccuracies. It makes me wonder what the hell is going on with him. What a disappointment.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Davis even brings up a rumour of Stevie being a racist!

In a chapter about the Tusk era (pg. 138), he writes, 'Some livery companies used by Fleetwood Mac in those days were reportedly instructed not to send black drivers for Stevie Nicks'.

And of course, Davis provides no source for this and to the other unreliable statements that he makes throughout the book.

I find that really hard to believe as Stevie has worked with African American artists and musicians both in the studio and in her touring bands.

Last edited by greendaze5; 11-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Is that a joke, or is that seriously in the book?
Because that is an idiotic, beyond fictional lie!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rehab in 1982? Well, you know I remember a million years ago on AOL someone swore up and down that Stevie actually required TWO rehabs to get off cocaine, but I thought he said both were in the second half of the decade. The official story, as we have all been told, is there was one rehab for coke/booze and then years later another for pills.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Rehab in 1982? Well, you know I remember a million years ago on AOL someone swore up and down that Stevie actually required TWO rehabs to get off cocaine, but I thought he said both were in the second half of the decade. The official story, as we all know, is there was one rehab for coke/booze and then years later another for pills./QUOTE]
I remember in several interviews Stevie specifically stated she never went to rehab for alcohol. She stated she never considered drinking a problem for her.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is all SO disappointing. Although I haven't read his book HAMMER OF THE GODS I know it was very popular & I thought it was regarded as the definitive biography of Led Zeppelin. I was hoping for the same for this bio but apparently it's dreck like all the rest & I will have to continue waiting for the definitive Stevie bio
Ricoh V.
I just Googled HAMMER OF THE GODS to see if it is a highly regarded as I thought it was & turned up this on Wikipedia (and this actually says a lot about the author):

"The book has been the subject of much criticism. Chicago Tribune music reviewer Greg Kot, called it "one of the most notorious rock biographies ever written".[3] All three surviving members of the band have cast doubts on its accuracy,[4] with one article summarising their collective view of the book as a "catalogue of error and distortion."[5]

Guitarist Jimmy Page has stated:

I think I opened [the book] up in the middle somewhere and started to read it, and I just threw it out the window. I was living by a river then, so it actually found its way to the bottom of the sea.[6]

According to the band's vocalist Robert Plant:

The guy who wrote that book knew nothing about the band. I think he'd hung around us once. He got all his information from a guy who had a heroin problem who happened to be associated with us. The only thing I read was the "After Zeppelin" part, because I was eager to get on with the music and stop living in a dream state.[7]

The band's bassist, John Paul Jones stated:

It's a very sad little book. It made us out to be sad little people. He ruined a lot of good, funny stories.[8]

One of the author's primary sources of information was Richard Cole, the band's tour manager. As Plant explained:

He [Davis] did a lot of investigations with a guy who used to work with Led Zeppelin, Richard Cole, who, over the years, had shown deep frustration at not being in a position to have any authority at all. He was tour manager and he had a problem which could have been easily solved if he'd been given something intelligent to do rather than check the hotels, and I think it embittered him greatly. He became progressively unreliable and, sadly, became a millstone around the neck of the group.

These stories would filter out from girls who'd supposedly been in my room when in fact they'd been in his. That sort of atmosphere was being created, and we were quite tired of it. So eventually we relieved him of his position and in the meantime he got paid a lot of money for talking crap. A lot of the time he wasn't completely well. And so his view of things was permanently distorted one way or another.[9]

Former manager Peter Grant in an interview with Proximity magazine called the book "completely unreliable" and that Davis had asked for money from him over the manuscript, before publication. Grant refused.[10]"
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Yes, we fans collectively could write a better book and more accurately as well.
Maybe we should.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These reviews are disappointing but not unexpected based on the promotional quotes provided to the press. I'm so mad that this book is getting so much publicity.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
We will never get the true, good story until Stevie writes it herself.
And still, maybe not.