User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango vs BuckVie

Hello everyone

So I'm listen to BuckVie album as I write this and am amazed by how fresh it still sounds to my ears. I lost my physical CD so I'm listening to the copy I uploaded to iTunes.

I thought it would be interesting to compare Tango in the Nigh and Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie albums as Tango is often spoken of in terms of being a Buckingham/McVie collaboration with a sprinkling of Stevie Nicks.

Tango could easily have been the first Buckingham/McVie album. Stevie was largely absent and her only strong contribution was written by Sandy Stewart. If you add in You and I Part I, Ricky, Where We Belong, you still have 12 songs if you take out Stevie's tunes and it would still be a very strong album.

So what's better, BuckVie or Tango? And try to focus on the BuckVie tunes on Tango, not on Stevie.

Happy discussions ahead.

-James
Old 12-09-2017, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I just say

I am so happy we got one last non official Fleetwood Mac album. I'm still listening to it, Over and Over, and I love it with all my heart.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I much prefer BuckVie over Tango. Mainly because the Tango production is so dated(far more than White/Rumours/Tusk). Lindsey took "the computer sound" too far on Tango.

BuckVie is such a catchy collection of songs. I love them all(well, I'll say that I only like LDFF). But the collection was such a gift for us, and I hope they decide to give us another!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-10-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM

I just listened to Tango and it really sparkles like this BuckVie album.

The chemistry between these two musicians is very magical. Often times fans get so wrapped up in the drama they forget about the music. I'm so glad Stevie decided to do her own thing so we could get a real good look at this combo.

I vote tie. lol
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Can I just say

I am so happy we got one last non official Fleetwood Mac album. I'm still listening to it, Over and Over, and I love it with all my heart.

I so agree with you Secret love about the non official MAC album and I still love Tango.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The last official and authentic Fleetwood Mac album is Mirage IMHO. Its the last time these 5 members worked together as a unit in the studio. I don't count Tango because Stevie was not there and Lindsey pretty much controlled everything as if it was his solo album. That is why it irked me so bad that Stevie did not join them to do one last album. However, I really love Buckingham/McVie and would prefer another album from then than a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits tour. I don't care for Tango but it created one of the band's best tunes "Isnt it Midnight." That is a polished gem. If it was the lead single, it would have given the band some great rock chops and not a cheezy 80's synth pop album. As the first single from the Mac in over 5 years I think it would have charted really well. Then they could have released all of their slick pop stuff.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-10-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The last official and authentic Fleetwood Mac album is Mirage IMHO. Its the last time these 5 members worked together as a unit in the studio. I don't count Tango because Stevie was not there and Lindsey pretty much controlled everything as if it was his solo album. That is why it irked me so bad that Stevie did not join them to do one last album. However, I really love Buckingham/McVie and would prefer another album from then than a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits tour. I don't care for Tango but it created one of the band's best tunes "Isnt it Midnight." That is a polished gem. If it was the lead single, it would have given the band some great rock chops and not a cheezy 80's synth pop album. As the first single from the Mac in over 5 years I think it would have charted really well. Then they could have released all of their slick pop stuff.

That a very interesting perspective. I do love Isn't it Midnight but it wouldn't have got the air play or the attention it deserved in 1987. This was the 5 year follow up to the mega album Mirage and a lot has changed since 1982. This was before the internet so there was very little detail on the behind the scenes of their recording process.I always made it a priority to stay as close as I could to be in the no at the time keeping up with what was next with this band and solo efforts. Big Love was the right choice followed by Seven Wonders and then Little Lies IMO.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
That a very interesting perspective. I do love Isn't it Midnight but it wouldn't have got the air play or the attention it deserved in 1987. This was the 5 year follow up to the mega album Mirage and a lot has changed since 1982. This was before the internet so there was very little detail on the behind the scenes of their recording process.I always made it a priority to stay as close as I could to be in the no at the time keeping up with what was next with this band and solo efforts. Big Love was the right choice followed by Seven Wonders and then Little Lies IMO.
And then Everywhere... another smash hit..
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tango In The Night for me every time.
Lindsey was really experimental with his song structures... all his songs were very different. I like his songs on the new album but they are all a bit 'samey' and 'safe'. Christine was a hit-making machine on TITN.

That said, though its easy to write off Stevie's songs on that album- it really isn't the same album without her contributions.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Lindsey was really experimental with his song structures... all his songs were very different. I like his songs on the new album but they are all a bit 'samey' and 'safe'. Christine was a hit-making machine on TITN.

That said, though its easy to write off Stevie's songs on that album- it really isn't the same album without her contributions.
I love all three Stevie songs on Tango.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the spirit and production on BuckVie are more organic and less tethered to a specific era of time. There's no way one can listen to Tango without knowing it's calculated mid-80s pop.

The four hits on Tango are excellent but even then (Little Lies excepted) they do not measure up to the rest of the band's best work. The album feels anxious, whereas BuckVie isn't a desperate bid for the top-10. The musicians know they can no longer sell albums in the millions of copies (or even the hundreds of thousands) but they still want to make music in the idioms that made them famous. As a result, those ten songs, especially the five that were co-recorded with both vocalists, have a genuine warmth and charm. And the last two songs are as good, if not better, than anything on Tango.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love all three Stevie songs on Tango.
You're generous. She was carefully curated, as the demos reveal.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
You're generous. She was carefully curated, as the demos reveal.
Maybe LB and Christine deserve a little credit. I love Christine's vocals on Welcome and Whaaaassstaaaamatta baby....

And Seven Wonders is just a top notch song.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

Every Lindsey's song on TITN is a different experience for me. He's always so focused on his work and put so much passion.And after 30 years, the same goes for the BuckVie album. That's the beauty of his work.

I prefer TITN because it has what's becoming my favorite Christine's song: Little Lies. But yeah, it would have never been the same without Stevi's songs, especially Seven Wonders.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think the spirit and production on BuckVie are more organic and less tethered to a specific era of time. There's no way one can listen to Tango without knowing it's calculated mid-80s pop.

The four hits on Tango are excellent but even then (Little Lies excepted) they do not measure up to the rest of the band's best work. The album feels anxious, whereas BuckVie isn't a desperate bid for the top-10. The musicians know they can no longer sell albums in the millions of copies (or even the hundreds of thousands) but they still want to make music in the idioms that made them famous. As a result, those ten songs, especially the five that were co-recorded with both vocalists, have a genuine warmth and charm. And the last two songs are as good, if not better, than anything on Tango.
really? What era do the songs on BuckVie sound like to you? Because, sorry to say, Lindsey, I don't find they sound contemporary to the 2010s at all. They do sound like a follow on to Mirage or even to some extent Tango, which is to say, the mid to late 80s. Don't get me wrong, I love the BUckVie album, but I cannot honestly say it sounds identifiable as a 20-teens era collection of songs. It sounds quite retro, which, for those of us who lived through the 80s and the FM music of that time, is somewhat part of the charm.