User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The band is famous for their unhappiness with each other. To give that as an excuse for Lindsey‘s ouster is laughable. Stevie even talked about it 30 years ago and said none of them was about to,leave in the wake of the band’s success, even though they were at each other’s throats. They needed him then. When they were still making and selling records they catered to him. Even when records stopped selling they felt they needed him on stage. They battled on, butting heads as they have always done. But need brought leverage, they could threaten to leave the band, to not tour, to keep their masters. They could refuse to record new music, but neither had the power to get rid of the other. Then, when Christine returned and it got to the point where they could put on a “Fleetwood Mac” show without Lindsey they didn’t need him to make money any longer. Mick should just say that.

I myself never anticipated that. Christine’s return would tip the see saw in this manner. In fact, if anything I thought it would make Stevie less powerful than she had been in the foursome. Boy, did I miscalculate.

I remember when Lindsey railed against Big Bad Howard. He had no idea what rough beast was slouching towards him to be born.
Exactly. When has this band ever been happy post-1976? I don't think many people would have been too shocked if FM had broken up after Rumours due to all the drama. But it is kind of a shock now: the band weathered all the emotional travails of their prime years, and they're going to fire a core member now, in their golden years?

I agree that what really kept the band together post-Rumours was chasing pop success. They had to capitalize on that, and they definitely couldn't afford to lose Lindsey in their prime, as he was essentially the creative director of the band. Now that any commercial relevance is behind FM and they're just an oldies touring act, they don't really need Lindsey as much anymore.

He already helped craft their hits, so they can just hire other players to sing his songs and play the guitar parts he created.

Last edited by saniette; 03-09-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Is it really necessary to bring that here???????? Really?
thank you.

i've seen Steve posting this over and over in bunch of threads and i just don't get it. i come here, like i believe most of us, to get away from regular life and everything we are bombarded with every day. i thought politics is for chit chat, not FM forums.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
It is genetics. All the cocaine he inhaled over the years and all the cigarettes he smoked
if it was just genetics, cocaine and smoking, there is at least one member of that band who would have had a heart attack way before LB. we know LB has family history, we don't know whether he even inherited genetic predisposition.

PSA: genetics is not deterministic for almost any heart disease. it is one of the factors, together with bunch of others including lifestyle, exercise, eating habits, environment, and stress. claiming that a highly stressful year had nothing to do with someone's heart attack is ignorant. #TheMoreYouKnow

so i will repeat to people who keep asking what we should expect from FM, after the heart attack - and what Mick is so obviously not doing:

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Such a bad move. I cry myself to sleep every night knowing that I will never have the privilege to sit through fifteen minutes of I'm So Afraid ever again.

But in all seriousness, I do actually miss Bleed to Love Her, and I had hoped for a Rumours 5 live performance of Steal Your Heart Away, On With the Show and Carnival Begin. And again, in all seriousness, I think their version of Black Magic Woman is terrific.
His songs always got the longest audience applause..SHN, Tusk, Big Love, and yes I'm So Afraid.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
What a lying SCUMBAG.

We weren’t happy — [happy] sounds almost like too light of a word to use,” Fleetwood says of Buckingham’s firing. “It just wasn’t a happy situation anymore, really for everyone.”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/fleetw...-werent-happy/
yes. this is how unhappy Fleetwood Mac looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post

Old 03-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
Exactly. When has this band ever been happy post-1976? I don't think many people would have been too shocked if FM had broken up after Rumours due to all the drama. But it is kind of a shock now: the band weathered all the emotional travails of their prime years, and they're going to fire a core member now, in their golden years?

I agree that what really kept the band together post-Rumours was chasing pop success. They had to capitalize on that, and they definitely couldn't afford to lose Lindsey in their prime, as he was essentially the creative director of the band. Now that any commercial relevance is behind FM and they're just an oldies touring act, they don't really need Lindsey as much anymore.

He already helped craft their hits, so they can just hire other players to sing his songs and play the guitar parts he created.

yep, aided and abetted by Azoff.... I'm sure he pointed out to them, "Look at the Eagles....Glen who was the lead/co-lead is gone, and they just replaced him and the fans are fine, they're making money hand over fist" And then Journey kept going and just replaced Steve Perry, and Queen kept going replacing their ONLY lead singer and ONLY really energetic front person Freddie Mercury and fans still paid to fill shows, and example after example.

He would have been one of the major voices probably both while they were deciding and afterward encouraging this.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yep, aided and abetted by Azoff.... I'm sure he pointed out to them, "Look at the Eagles....Glen who was the lead/co-lead is gone, and they just replaced him and the fans are fine, they're making money hand over fist" And then Journey kept going and just replaced Steve Perry, and Queen kept going replacing their ONLY lead singer and ONLY really energetic front person Freddie Mercury and fans still paid to fill shows, and example after example.

He would have been one of the major voices probably both while they were deciding and afterward encouraging this.
Queen didn't exactly replace their lead singer in the same way as Journey, The Eagles or Fakewood Mac.
He kinda …. died. Because he refused to take his AIDS meds. And John Deacon left the band once Freddie died. I don't think it's fair for the rest of the band to stop doing their music because of that.

Just adding my two 0.02 Queen cents.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am appalled by some of the commentary here. This used to be such a fun place to visit and read.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

KB's response on Mick's newest round of interviews. it's so sad the Bucks had to see those interviews that really should go straight to the trash piles of history, for Mick's and band's legacy sake. she clarifies several things here too, that we didn't necessarily know about:

Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Queen didn't exactly replace their lead singer in the same way as Journey, The Eagles or Fakewood Mac.
He kinda …. died. Because he refused to take his AIDS meds. And John Deacon left the band once Freddie died. I don't think it's fair for the rest of the band to stop doing their music because of that.

uh, Glen Frey also died.

And you've missed the main point. Key figures in bands, like, the one and only front person, can leave (for whatever reason) and nowadays the bands keep going. Azoff would have been, IMHO, the first one to point this out to the band to allay any concerns they might have had re: whether it was a good/viable decision to keep going after firing LB. Which Mick in fact said they did-- they had the conversation about can we do this? And then decided they could. His words. I'm betting Azoff as their manager was part of that conversation and one of the strongest voices telling them they could and should keep going.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Azoff would have been, IMHO, the first one to point this out to the band to allay any concerns they might have had re: whether it was a good/viable decision to keep going after firing LB. Which Mick in fact said they did-- they had the conversation about can we do this? And then decided they could. His words. I'm betting Azoff as their manager was part of that conversation and one of the strongest voices telling them they could and should keep going.
you gotta wonder who exactly was a part of that conversation and when exactly it happened? Mick said they took a while to discuss that, but then quickly corrects himself that no it was in fact short. because i guess you gotta stay with the fictional story of firing never occurring to them before Musicares and happening within a day after it and MC invited to join just 2 days later.... so obviously not much time there. i bet Mick, Stevie and Azoff were the ones plotting it all in the fall/winter of 2017. remember that guy from Heartbreakers circles said they polled the promoters to prove they can be more viable without LB than without SN? that all took time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
KB's response on Mick's newest round of interviews. it's so sad the Bucks had to see those interviews that really should go straight to the trash piles of history, for Mick's and band's legacy sake. she clarifies several things here too, that we didn't necessarily know about:

"He’s still wondering what happened." this is just heartbreaking. especially coupled with these 2 most recent vomit-interviews Mick gave.

kick the people close to you when they are down has been Mick's MO according to so many people around the band. and then lie about what happened. you gotta wonder whether what he told Wendy Welch about Christine is a complete lie too - because why would we expect lying liar to tell the truth?

Last edited by elle; 03-10-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
uh, Glen Frey also died.

And you've missed the main point. Key figures in bands, like, the one and only front person, can leave (for whatever reason) and nowadays the bands keep going. Azoff would have been, IMHO, the first one to point this out to the band to allay any concerns they might have had re: whether it was a good/viable decision to keep going after firing LB. Which Mick in fact said they did-- they had the conversation about can we do this? And then decided they could. His words. I'm betting Azoff as their manager was part of that conversation and one of the strongest voices telling them they could and should keep going.
I was talking more about Don Felder than Glen Frey. That's why I said I was adding my 0.02 Queen cents.

They all plotted against Lindsey. Azzoff included. I'm still unsure if Christine and John were part of that conversation, they disagreed and Mick/Stevie/Azzoff went on despite their differences and behind Christine and John's backs. Hence Christine's displeasure in the CBS interview.

After the last Mick's interview I'm starting to wonder if Stevie in fact wanted to fire him before Musicares and maybe Mick told her 'no'. Not defending Mick here, but she probably wanted to even take that away from him and his family.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Last edited by button-lip; 03-10-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
I am appalled by some of the commentary here. This used to be such a fun place to visit and read.
I don’t remember a time when there were not many complaints about just how UNfun this place is.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post

Just an FYI when Freddie died anti H.I.V meds would have made little difference. The protease inhibitors that could have did not come along until 5 years or so after he passed.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Just an FYI when Freddie died anti H.I.V meds would have made little difference. The protease inhibitors that could have did not come along until 5 years or so after he passed.
I know that. I read many books about the band and Freddie, even Jim Hutton's book. But he could have lived a little longer if he had taken his pain meds.
He didn't want any meds that would compromise his musical vision and legacy.