User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
They are dropping sandbags into it, I think as we speak and the local pumping station is back on line. That is a good thing, but time is not on the side of the human here as that water is now contaminated and highly dangerous.
Yup - they just showed video of NO, and you could see the swirls of gasoline floating on the water, probably leaking from flooded cars. People could also smell it.

I haven't heard about the people in the Superdome tho - are they still in there, or did they move them elsewhere? They're saying there's now 3 feet of water surrounding the stadium.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
Yup - they just showed video of NO, and you could see the swirls of gasoline floating on the water, probably leaking from flooded cars. People could also smell it.

I haven't heard about the people in the Superdome tho - are they still in there, or did they move them elsewhere? They're saying there's now 3 feet of water surrounding the stadium.

Well, it is not just the gasoline, which interestingly may be a saving factor becuase it will kill bacteria and cholera. People and other animals are surely dead in that water and that water also contains human waste from the waterlogged waste treatment plants - that and the at least 91 degree weather will make that water a toxic dump. Sacry Sacry!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy I know

They talked about the coffins too, floating in the water. It's just horrific and unsafe.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it is not just the gasoline, which interestingly may be a saving factor becuase it will kill bacteria and cholera. People and other animals are surely dead in that water and that water also contains human waste from the waterlogged waste treatment plants - that and the at least 91 degree weather will make that water a toxic dump. Sacry Sacry!!!!
Yeah - I'm just more worried about the gas because there are several fires burning out of control. And since they're still pulling people out of the flooded neighborhoods, having everything above the floodwaters on fire would surely doom everyone still waiting to get to be rescued. But you're right - it's a nasty soup any way you look at it.

And I just saw pics of Gulfport, MS. I was so horrifying I can't even describe it.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
They talked about the coffins too, floating in the water. It's just horrific and unsafe.

Well, the coffins are from the above ground mausoleums and most likely contain bodies decomposed past the point of a bio hazard - thought that is still gross.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah - I'm just more worried about the gas because there are several fires burning out of control. And since they're still pulling people out of the flooded neighborhoods, having everything above the floodwaters on fire would surely doom everyone still waiting to get to be rescued. But you're right - it's a nasty soup any way you look at it.

And I just saw pics of Gulfport, MS. I was so horrifying I can't even describe it.
Several things, like one of the yacht clubs, have burned already.

Dear God - show us the way back.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I don't know if anyone saw Aaron Brown last night when he talked with Jeanne Meserve. She talked about nightfall and how they could hear people yelling for help and there was nothing they could do to help them. She was crying.
Then I saw the guy in Mississippi this morning whose house split in half and couldn't hold on to his wife. That interview was haunting.
Oh yeah - I heard a replay of that. I cried all the way through it.

The other thing about it that really got me was all the dogs she said she heard yelping and crying for their owners.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
My prayers go out to the people over there. Chris, your post about the people yelling breaks my heart.
Their cameraman worked with a broken foot since 9am yesterday morning. If you get a chance to see Jeanne Meserve's report, check it out. It was some of the most honest, heartfelt reporting I have heard in a long time. She should win an award.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Damn, Martial Law. they probably need it. that really sucks that people would take advantage of someone else's misfortune like that.
Well...some of it may be about pure survival.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

They are still there and the situation is deteriorating. The toilets don't flush, the garbage is piling up, etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well...some of it may be about pure survival.
I think that is a small fraction. I have been through many of these and personally seen people stealing tv's etc., not food. Interestingly, the last time the SuperDome has refugees, many robbed the place blind. I think though, that this bad element is a very small percentage of the total population.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Dear God - show us the way back.
No kidding.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think that is a small fraction. I have been through many of these and personally seen people stealing tv's etc., not food. Interestingly, the last time the SuperDome has refugees, many robbed the place blind. I think though, that this bad element is a very small percentage of the total population.
I saw people stealing diapers. I don't think I would be too quick to judge anyone stealing diapers or food in this situation.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw people stealing diapers. I don't think I would be too quick to judge anyone stealing diapers or food in this situation.
I am not - I am just saying my experience has taught me that the people staling diapers and food are the main people stealing. Moreover, if they can get to the store to steal, they can most likely get to a shelter that has those things. Meals are being given out in the Dome

Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=strandinthewind]I am not - I am just saying my experience has taught me that the people staling diapers and food are the main people stealing. Moreover, if they can get to the store to steal, they can most likely get to a shelter that has those things. Meals are being given out in the Dome [/QUOI agree with you on this one, but man it gets tough there.