Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Just be careful... like you said, 18-20 year old kids have zero depth of understanding of consequences. That means if they're caught doing something illegal, they'd throw you under the bus to save themselves faster than you can say "orgy."
HUGE overgeneralization, as you know.

Wait-- just saw the correction.

Last edited by daniellaaarisen; 04-04-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I have plenty pics of me on there but like to use various random pics of tv/film/rock stars as my profile pic.
Me too.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchristo View Post
Well, first let me just preface this by saying that I am in no way providing legal advice, just a friendly opinion.

I'm not necessarily saying that someone would win a lawsuit if they filed one against Dave. But people file ill-fated lawsuits every day and, even if they lose, it still costs the person being sued time, money and stress.

This mostly applies to bars and is known as the Dram Shop rule. A person is drinking at a bar, is obviously drunk and keeps getting served and over-served. Said person then gets in their car and kills someone in a car accident on their way home. The bar can be sued by the family of the person killed. So, not only will the driver be sued, but the bar will be too. People have won suits like that before.

So, I'm not saying it applies to a private party like it would to a bar. However, if one of his guests got wasted, got in their car and killed someone, it wouldn't be a stretch for Dave to be named in the lawsuit. Particulary if the person who caused the accident was a kid with minimal limits on their car insurance policy and no assets to speak of. The injured party gets wind that the person was partying at Dave's house, someone does a little research and finds out Dave owns his home and a few others, and all of a sudden he and his homeowners carrier are named in the suit. He might be dismissed on Summary Judgment, or he might be in it til the end and found not liable. Either way, a lot of stress that could have been avoided. **** happens but there are ways to minimize the potential.
My dad owned a bar for years. Got sued by a regular who he considered a friend. The guy was drunk & fell off his barstool, injuring himself (I don't even remember what the injury was, but it was NOT serious.) He got money for it.

He was sued at least 3 times for someone who left the bar & later got arrested for a DWI or into an accident. Thrown out every time since it was proven these people went to OTHER bars or parties after my dad's place. Still, time, stress & $$$ spent.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

" Originally Posted by camchristo
Well, first let me just preface this by saying that I am in no way providing legal advice, just a friendly opinion.

I'm not necessarily saying that someone would win a lawsuit if they filed one against Dave. But people file ill-fated lawsuits every day and, even if they lose, it still costs the person being sued time, money and stress.

This mostly applies to bars and is known as the Dram Shop rule. A person is drinking at a bar, is obviously drunk and keeps getting served and over-served. Said person then gets in their car and kills someone in a car accident on their way home. The bar can be sued by the family of the person killed. So, not only will the driver be sued, but the bar will be too. People have won suits like that before.

So, I'm not saying it applies to a private party like it would to a bar. However, if one of his guests got wasted, got in their car and killed someone, it wouldn't be a stretch for Dave to be named in the lawsuit. Particulary if the person who caused the accident was a kid with minimal limits on their car insurance policy and no assets to speak of. The injured party gets wind that the person was partying at Dave's house, someone does a little research and finds out Dave owns his home and a few others, and all of a sudden he and his homeowners carrier are named in the suit. He might be dismissed on Summary Judgment, or he might be in it til the end and found not liable. Either way, a lot of stress that could have been avoided. **** happens but there are ways to minimize the potential."
~I guess the original post has been deleted?~
My MAIN point of being curious, again, is:
If a person makes their party BYOB, does that lessen their liability? I would think so, or at least hope so. If I didn't serve them, and they weren't visibly intoxicated.....

Yep, I'm going to definitely crack down with some major rules, this year. Feels like I dodged a whole shooting gallery, last year!

And Paula, that sucks about your Dad's bar. It was always a dream of mine, growing up, to own a little bar/grill. I think it would be a terrible business proposition, these days.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^My original post was not deleted. It's on page 97. Sure, I suppose it would lessen the risk, but how do you prove it? A lot of people will lie to save their own ass.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've not read everyones entire posts on the subject, but why would adults want to party with minors anyway? Not that all minors are out of control or not fit to hang around for fear of getting yourselves in danger legally, but adults have to be careful what they set themselves up for. Not to make anyone feel bad on the board whos underage, but when they're our ages they will better understand all this and why it has to be. I think most people if you're 30 wouldn't have a thing in common with a bunch of 16 year olds anyway. Again, not to make the young ones feel unwanted on here, it's just you'll see what we mean when you're our age.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I've not read everyones entire posts on the subject, but why would adults want to party with minors anyway? Not that all minors are out of control or not fit to hang around for fear of getting yourselves in danger legally, but adults have to be careful what they set themselves up for. Not to make anyone feel bad on the board whos underage, but when they're our ages they will better understand all this and why it has to be. I think most people if you're 30 wouldn't have a thing in common with a bunch of 16 year olds anyway. Again, not to make the young ones feel unwanted on here, it's just you'll see what we mean when you're our age.
The whole point was, that I didn't invite them. Someone else did. And I was none too happy about them showing up at my party(even though we actually became pretty good friends).
Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^My original post was not deleted. It's on page 97. Sure, I suppose it would lessen the risk, but how do you prove it? A lot of people will lie to save their own ass.
Ah, this thread's gotten so big, that I missed it!
You're right. Proving it could be tough....or maybe not. If 10 people said, "no, the party was BYOB, David didn't give anyone anything", I can't see them having much of a leg to stand on.

And yes, even friends will throw you under the bus, when it comes to big money lawsuits. But I can't see the ones who wouldn't benefit financially, doing so.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And Paula, that sucks about your Dad's bar. It was always a dream of mine, growing up, to own a little bar/grill. I think it would be a terrible business proposition, these days.
It was great for him in the 80's. But about 10 years ago things got bad - it's not an easy business. They banned smoking in bars here (I don't care what anyone says - that did HURT business), prices of everything went up, the NYS Liquor Authority increased fees, etc. He eventually lost everything.

Quote:
Sure, I suppose it would lessen the risk, but how do you prove it? A lot of people will lie to save their own ass.
True dat.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
It was great for him in the 80's. But about 10 years ago things got bad - it's not an easy business. They banned smoking in bars here (I don't care what anyone says - that did HURT business), prices of everything went up, the NYS Liquor Authority increased fees, etc. He eventually lost everything.

True dat.
Same here. Even though I love the no smoking! Quite literally, half of the small bars that my band played in, 10 years ago, are no longer in business. The small places just can't survive, anymore.

AND, the ones that had bands, many of those have replaced the bands with karaoke, because it's 1/3 the price of hiring a band.
Owning a small bar these days, is a sketchy business proposition.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I loved the No Smoking law in bars even when I smoked. God, the stench all over you (and your hair & clothes) when you got home after being out all night. Made a hangover sooo much worse.

Here's another TMI sex question: Anything you won't do sexually? Or prefer not to?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post

Here's another TMI sex question: Anything you won't do sexually? Or prefer not to?
Absolutely not, no way in hell:

- Fisting
- Anything involving urine, feces, blood, or vomit
- Ingesting of ejaculatory fluids
- Spanking/hitting/violence
- Wearing leather or "furry" suits or whatever
- I will not put my penis in any sort of pump or device
- Slings/handcuffs/weird contraptions

And I'm sure there are other weird/gross things that I've never even heard of, and would like to keep it that way.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't like roleplaying as a member of the Beatles or having a carrot stuck up my bum

Anything else sounds A-OK though
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not very adventurous sexually . Not at all. I once tasted cum.....yea never again. I'm very conservative in bed.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Absolutely not, no way in hell:

- Fisting
- Anything involving urine, feces, blood, or vomit
- Ingesting of ejaculatory fluids
- Spanking/hitting/violence
- Wearing leather or "furry" suits or whatever
- I will not put my penis in any sort of pump or device
- Slings/handcuffs/weird contraptions

And I'm sure there are other weird/gross things that I've never even heard of, and would like to keep it that way.

Does your parnter mind that you won't swallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRobert View Post
I wouldn't like roleplaying as a member of the Beatles or having a carrot stuck up my bum

Anything else sounds A-OK though
Ha. That's pretty specific. What about a member of the Stones, or a cucumber?

I won't do anal.
I also am not into pee/poo/vomit/blood (I wouldn't have even thought to mention it if Markolas hadn't.)
Nothing painful or violent

Last edited by skcin; 04-06-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Closed Thread