Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Everyone makes spelling mistakes and gramatical errors... I have noticed them in everyone's posts... including my own.

None of us should throw stones, since we all live in glass houses.

Johnny Stew
Old 06-30-2002, 05:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

Right on Johnny!!!!!!

And since english is not my first language, I think I'm doing a pretty good job.

Bye,LOL,
Dimphy
Old 06-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Harsh!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Then you'll be well on your way to ensuring that you will have nothing but countless megabytes of cyber drivel about how deep a shade of blue Lindsey's eyes are
I totally understand how girlish crushes and gushing may be hard for you to comprehend or relate to. No doubt they seem very silly to you. However, these are simply a young girl's equivalent of many young men's (admittedly much more private) sexual fantasies. Young girls and young men have different outlets, and they take different forms. One is no more contemptible than the other.

Of course, farbeit from me to suggest that the upstanding gentlemen on this board ever indulged in a sexual fantasy of a rock star, actress, etc. But perhaps you might have a...friend who did so at one time? And perhaps through this friend you can better understand, perhaps even try to patiently tolerate, such behavior.

I know it's more than easy to let annoyance flare into a desire to lash out at those who irritate you, to show them how little you think of them. Make them feel stupid and ashamed in the hopes that they'll be too humilated to continue posting about such things. While this would be a great relief to many, I have a feeling that people might be able to see why it might not be the right thing to do.

CarneVaca: I'm not trying to single you out. I know for a fact that many people on the Ledge share your feelings about this matter, and it's hardly surprising that that's the case. However (and perhaps this is naive of me) I'm hoping that understanding might lead to greater tolerance and less condemnation.

I don't expect a reply to this post - I'm not looking for an argument. This thread already has enough of those! It's just something I want people to give some thought to.

Old 06-30-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Harsh!

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts

Of course, farbeit from me to suggest that the upstanding gentlemen on this board ever indulged in a sexual fantasy of a rock star, actress, etc.
Chuckling, a little red-faced.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: trouble on the boards

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac
OK,

However, some of these teenagers or even some of the adults with immature mentalities seem to take offense if anything with a negative approach to this band is posted. If anyone questions an aspect of the band, it's music or a particular member, especially Stevie, it is deemed blasphemous. Those of you taking this approach know who you are. As for those of you at school or college that feel this way, please understand that you will never gain wisdom in life unless you open up and grasp other peoples ideas, good or bad, and reflect on them with an open mind.

Amen!! Thank you madformac! My thoughts exactly.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this topic still going on? I'll just go back to singing:

Still through the sunlight, days I wait
Track a ghost through the fog
Sun is burning me
And you come running out in the wind with me
The ocean is your blanket...
Old 07-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sorcerer386
[B]Is this topic still going on? I'll just go back to singing:

Still through the sunlight, days I wait
Track a ghost through the fog

She spends alot of valuable time trying to track that muthafreakin ghost, doesn't she?
Old 07-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But I chose to DANCE across the STAGES of the world
Everyone said I'd never learn
But I STILL HEAR your words
i waited all my life for you

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She spends alot of valuable time trying to track that muthafreakin ghost, doesn't she?

LMAO!!!!

Pip
Old 07-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That she does, but you know what, it's one of my favorite Stevie images...track a ghost through the fog, I mean, that's a pretty tough thing to do considering the ghost would blend into the fog. Not wonder why she spends so much time tracking it.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
That she does, but you know what, it's one of my favorite Stevie images...track a ghost through the fog, I mean, that's a pretty tough thing to do considering the ghost would blend into the fog. Not wonder why she spends so much time tracking it.
lol....I think it's a lost cause....just like these "discussions". But, I agree...that's my favorite Stevie image too. It makes a lot of sense to me, just seems to describe nearly my whole life. (Not that I necessarily think my LIFE is a lost cause...LOL but you get my point...)

~~Angela~~
Old 07-03-2002, 01:53 AM
Ledgie

Default Threadreading

I know I've come too late to this thread, but I'd still like to state what I've gathered from some of the things I've read.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Heart

There are a very small minority of people who seem to automatically turn vicious and nasty when other don't agree with their opinions. One extremely negative person in particular seems to have made a sport out of attacking anyone who disagrees with him/her in any shape or form with his/her name calling, sarcarism and character assasination. This person claims to be here for the music yet this whole thing was started when he/she posted several messages ripping FM apart over this GH thing, something we don't even know for sure will materialize or not or in what form. It's fine if you question the band's motives and the extent of the corporate involvement or whatever, everyone has an opinion and not everyone will agree but it's like it was said before...it's not that you do it, it's HOW you do it and how you continue to do it. I have an idea this person knew his/her comments would ignite a firestorm of angry posts and that's probably part of his/her motive for using the verbage he uses. Just look a this thread. It started out as a moderator's thread closing the original post and it has now turned into another verbal p!ssing match to put it lightly and another excuse to intimidate and degrade other people. You're not even respectful to the moderators.

And another thing - yes there are alot of young people on this board and that's another reason to conduct yourself respectively while expressing your opinions. They may be young and their inmaturity may show at times but they deserve respect just like anyone else. I'm sure you were their age at some point.

Life is dramatic enough with worrying about day to day issues and the current state of the world. If I or anyone else need to escape to fairyland from time to time to keep my freaking sanity, it's not your place to judge.
I like your points here. I really do, but there are many ways of escaping from reality. Have you ever considered that all of the attacking and sarcasm here is just another way of escaping from problems and keeping sane? I don't know if that is the situation here, it's just a thought. Some of us dream our way out, some of us fight or scream our way out. Some may overload on reality to escape it.

I find your contradictions interesting, CarneVaca.

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Unfortunately some of the reactions on this board are pretty reflective of what's going on in the country (I realize a handful of people here post from outside the US). Essentially ignorant people who don't understand or appreciate the beauty and sanctity of a free exchange of ideas want to clamp down on some unpopular views. We see it among the corporations that are trying to run our lives and in our pansy-ass government as well.
True, true. Reading further on, I stumbled upon this:

" Just one thing, though: Let's be more careful in how we toss around the term "9/11" so casually. I was in New York that day, and I know people who lost loved ones. I make it a point to make sure not to trivialize the event by using it in such a casual contest. "

and this:

"I am simply pleading with you to think about it a little more carefully before using the term. "

Maybe you don't eat what you dish out. If you are purposely being contradicting, then fine, whatever. If not, you should be aware that you just went against your whole fight by that post. Funny that you drew the line at the very mention of 9/11. What gives? You seem to be comfortable chewing up many other sensitive topics. The irony here is incredible. It's all fun and games until something that YOU are personally affected by is mentioned. Granted, it's sensitive to many others here as well, but maybe some of us aren't sensitive to it at all. I'm not one of them, but if I weren't sensitive about it, would that be an unpopular view of which you spoke? And would you be the "essential ignorant" who would want to shut me up?

Also, something about the last quote from that post:

You pleaded to wondergirl to be careful very much like how Tyshiria pleaded for everyone and especially you to stop the heat. You wrote her in response, "If you're bothered by this, stop reading it. No one is forcing you to. Let it go". Maybe you could have taken your own words into consideration. The mention of 9/11 is a sensitive issue to you, just like how the threat of the board being closed was a sensitive issue to Tyshiria.

I hope, CarneVaca, that I have not offended you. I just found it interesting that you contradicted yourself. Maybe you will, too.

love to all,

Amy Yeo
Old 07-03-2002, 08:10 AM

Amy, Amy, Amy:

Your comments are astounding. I see that you're posting from outside the U.S., so perhaps your connection to the events of 9/11 isn't quite as strong. But your drawing a parallel between my reaction to comments made about 9/11 and the reaction of some posters to what I have said about the band is so surprising that I have to wonder if you realized what you were saying.

My comments to Tyshiria, and I stand by them, were simply a rational way to deal with a problem that seemed to bother her. She got into a discussion to tell others to end the discussion. If I'm at a cocktail party and a group of people huddles next to me to discuss buying shoes or bungee jumping, I may not be interested in the conversation, but I'm not going to tell them to stop it because it does not interest me.

Now when our other friend tossed the term "9/11" into the mix in what seemed to me a cavalier way, I merely "pleaded" with her to consider how she uses the term. Now, she seems like a nice enough person and I am sure she had no intention other than to express a positive sentiment. And I even acknowledged that.

You reached way far to find a parallel here, probably because you had no real substantive contribution to this discussion, which pretty much has wound down. Now, let me plead with you to consider this: Is my reaction to remarks about the murder of more than 3,000 people going about their daily lives a fair comparison to a reaction of someone who was unhappy with the way a discussion about a filthy-rich rock band was going on this board? Unlike most of the world, I didn't have to watch 9/11 on TV.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Ledgie

In your opinion, I used an extreme comparison. In someone else's opinion, it may not have been an extremity. This filthy-rich rock band is why people are posting on these boards. Many people here find that Fleetwood Mac is especially important to them. I'm not going to judge what's important to posters here, and to what extent. I'm only suggesting that to others, a message board shut down MAY be just as serious an issue as 9/11 is to you.

I think that everyone who read my post understood that I was simply playing devil's advocate. Of couse I realized what I was writing, but maybe you didn't. See, if you read what I had to write, you would have seen, clearly writen: "... but maybe some of us aren't sensitive to it at all. I'm not one of them...". This should clearly suggest what my standpoint is about it, and why you don't need to plead with me to consider what you're asking. Ask that to everyone else. I'm just wonder if someone here answered yes to your question, would you be okay with that unpopular view, or would you not want hear it.

I hope that you never wonder again if I know what I'm writing, as if you're almost giving me a chance to retract what I wrote. I barely wrote any of my own opinions, just observances and suggestions, so I don't need the tisk-tisk. I just wanted to point out that you were deliciously contradicting, and just to play on that as devil's advocate. I certainly will not apologize for an OBSERVANCE I made on this thread.

I'm not going to comment on your suggestion that because I'm outside the country, my connection to what happened on 9/11 may not be strong. If you honestly want to know what I went through that day, send me a private message telling me so, and I'll be happy to reveal all. The same invitation goes out to anyone else who wants to know.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:00 PM

Amy:

With all due respect, your premise is incorrect: I never told anyone to stop posting, therefore there is no contradiction. It is simply a figment of your imagination. Or perhaps you simply misread. Pleading with someone to reconsider how the person is using a particular phrase or term is vastly different from telling people engaged in a discussion to stop. If you don't see that universe of difference, there's really not much I can do to help you. As someone who lives by the First Amendment, I would NEVER tell anyone to not express an opinion. I may be guilty of being discourteous here, which may be bad enough in the eyes of some, but I won't tell anyone to not post an opinion.

You've made a lot of assumptions in your post. Your original message was so outlandish that besides what I've already pointed out, you went so far as to try to psycho-analyze me:

"Have you ever considered that all of the attacking and sarcasm here is just another way of escaping from problems and keeping sane? I don't know if that is the situation here, it's just a thought. Some of us dream our way out, some of us fight or scream our way out. Some may overload on reality to escape it."

You know nothing about me. And while I support your right to post whatever opinions you want, I reserve the right to think that you are full of ****. Yeah, you can go ahead and reply that I choose to ignore the part where you say, "I don't know if that is the situation here," but you and I know that you wanted to make the point while leaving yourself just enough room to try to deflect criticism. I've been dealing how people employ rhetoric all my adult life, so such tricks don't work on me.

Despite the sheer folly of your reasoning in your original post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're a decent person. And I'll just leave it at that.