Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Ledgie

Angry

A band wishing to ignore its own history, its own members, its own music and therefore its own special place in the history of rock music, is more than I can bare. Of course we knew it all along, but still it's unbelievable. It's hard to be a fan.

Anna
Old 01-21-2003, 05:30 AM

Unhappy

You know that Mick Fleetwood makes me sick sometimes, how can I forget BTM and Time when he always goes on about how Fleetwood mac will always continue no matter what, and then completely dismisses all those who he has worked with since 1988
Old 01-23-2003, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by iamstevienicks
then completely dismisses all those who he has worked with since 1988
He sounds like he really doesn't care about FM after 1988.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
He sounds like he really doesn't care about FM after 1988.

That's really a shame, because he really had two GEMS in Billy Burnette and Rick Vito.

If word of this gets out to the former members of FM, no doubt a lot of hard feelings will be formed. Billy has been a friend of Mick's for a LONG time...he was in Mick's band The Zoo for YEARS before joining FM, so for him to discount his being in the band for nearly 10 years would be in really poor taste.

Just my opinion.

Michele
Old 01-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Michele
If word of this gets out to the former members of FM, no doubt a lot of hard feelings will be formed. Billy has been a friend of Mick's for a LONG time...he was in Mick's band The Zoo for YEARS before joining FM, so for him to discount his being in the band for nearly 10 years would be in really poor taste.
I think many of us agree with you, Michele. It makes me squirm uncomfortably to think that Billy might hear that he's been in effect blotted out of Fleetwood Mac's history. That's absolutely horrible. He isn't my favorite FM member of all time, but the guy helped save the band's ass for that first tour after Buckingham left, & he played with them for years. How can you treat your friends that way? When I think of how Billy always stood up for Fleetwood Mac & spoke of them in hushed, awed tones, & how he always said he was a huge fan of Lindsey Buckingham blah blah blah & how he thought Stevie Nicks was so great blah blah blah & how he spoke so lovingly of Christine blah blah blah ... give the poor guy the satisfaction of reminding the world that he was in the group, too.

Billy was always very good to the Mac, but it seems they didn't exactly return the goodwill.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hey David,

I just had another thought....I'm willing to be that's why Rick Vito will not discuss the reason(s) why he left the band in 1990.

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy is already aware of all this....he's never been given the credit he deserved for anything else he's done, so I wouldn't be surprised if the word has spread to him already....

Quote:
Billy was always very good to the Mac, but it seems they didn't exactly return the goodwill.

Billy has been good friends with Christine for YEARS....even BEFORE he joined the Mac...he appeared with her in 1984 in her solo album concert with George Hawkins,Jr. and Todd Sharp. He still keeps in touch with Christine, as they are still good friends. Billy made mention of this during his Q&A.

Stevie also said how much more relaxed things were when Billy and Rick were in the band. Stevie was ALSO a friend of Billy's BEFORE he joined the band. Rick was also part of Stevie's "Street Angel" tour, and that was 4 years AFTER he left the Mac.

Billy and Rick are also very good friends, as they have performed together on a couple of occasions in the past couple of years.

My thinking is, if there are going to be hard feelings here, it will probably be with Mick and maybe possibly Lindsey too...as it seemes that he also pretty much ignores the fact that Billy and Rick were in the band.

As you said, it's "absolutely horrible".

Michele "The Billy Freak"
Old 01-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
The same can be said about Bob Welch, too.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob Welch saw them through five albums and lots of disruptions, as Burnette, Bramlett and Vito saw them through two albums and not simply disappearing. Someone bought those records and saw those shows. For them to all get treated badly at all now doesn't elevate the B&N incarnation to me, it just denigrates other musicians. I can imagine them feeling like they were sorry they bothered to contribute. In fact I wonder sometimes why B&N being so totally brilliant ever joined the drummer, keyboardist and bass player who could have turned out such other shameful recordings that they now want to pretend they don't exist. Can you say it's insecurity? Pretty weird. At least Nicks seems to still validate Bob Welch's existance. Probably the more they try to ignore and hide these other albums the more curious some people will get anyway. Pandering is lame, and the more they pander to the Rumours 'era or mystique' or whatever it is the more I shake my head. Letting the fans run your band is a big big mistake. Hopefully they've made an interesting album and not just slapped some kind of self indulgent Rumours retro sound alike attempt together to make money. Hopefully they really wanted to work together again for creative reasons and not for lack of support or new things to try.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:14 PM

Exclamation

Maybe one day he will aknowledge there existance

I cant see any of them attending his funeral though
Old 01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob's only "bad blood" is with Mick, John & Chris...he says that he's still friends with Stevie & Lindsey.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 PM

Where does Bob say all this, do you have any interview excerpts?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Read his Q&A here on the Penguin.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:42 PM

will do and thus recieve a full compliment again
Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's really good reading.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Michele
That's really a shame, because he really had two GEMS in Billy Burnette and Rick Vito.
Michele
*agrees* although I wasn't really sure about Billy at first, but he's a great singer, songwriter and guitarist.